Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel question on Cannondale tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-09, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a 08 Cannondale Street tandem
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8ST.html
What would I need to look for to buy a used set of 26" road wheels for this. My son and I weigh about 250. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-09, 03:00 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal Man
Any suggestions?
Try running a set of nice set of 26" x 1.125" (~28mm) road tires such as the Continental Continental Ultra GatorSkin Black Duraskin or a Schwalbe Stelvio on your existing wheels and see how that goes.

Unless your Rhyno Lites or what ever rim you have on your tandem has a bead-seat (interior width of the rim) that's wider than about 22mm, a 28mm tire should work just fine and give you nearly all of the useable benefits of a second set of wheels with a few less spokes and a somewhat more ligher-weight narrow rim, that is unless y'all are going to be doing some serious time trials or other timed / competitive events.

Anyway, just an option that'll save you a few bucks... at least for a while.
Old 06-24-09, 07:06 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the response. I did put a set of 1.5 Specialized Nimbus tires on it. They have worked good so far for on and off road (rail trail) I'm not planning on racing with it , just trying to make up for our lack of ability.
Old 06-24-09, 09:55 PM

Bikes: Trek T2000, Ventana ElConquistador, ElSanto, STP400, 5500, JubileeSport, Scattante...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We have Avocert FasGrip City 1.25 on RhynoLite rims. They're okay but I wouldn't go any narrower.
With two wheelsets my only concern is that the rim brakes line up properly when switching wheelsets. Anyone know if that is a valid concern?
FWIW the rim is 20mm wide inside.

Last edited by justcrankn; 06-24-09 at 10:08 PM. Reason: measured rim
Old 06-25-09, 07:48 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by justcrankn
Anyone know if that is a valid concern?
Yes, different wheels and rims will often require a minor adjustment of the brake blocks, both with regard to the alignment / brake block contact point with the brake tracks and with regard to brake lever travel if the rims have a different width at the brake track.
Old 06-27-09, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Trek T2000, Ventana ElConquistador, ElSanto, STP400, 5500, JubileeSport, Scattante...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Another option would be to build your current hubs with some narrower rims, like a Sun 0 Degree XC or Velocity Aeroheat. That would be a good compromise for swapping between 28mm road tires and 2" fat tires, like Tandemgeek suggested.
I think you'll find 26" tandem road wheelsets rare on the used market.
We just picked up a bike with 26" wheels to try as a convertible. Traveling will be easier with just one tandem that we can use for road and off-road, with just a wheel swap or tire swap.
Old 06-27-09, 08:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The flaw in my plan was thinking that an older set of road wheels would be 26". I was checking out tires at the LBS and realized they would be 27", I haven't been around those bikes for a long time.