Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pre-purchase jitters...

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Pre-purchase jitters...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 09:43 AM

Bikes: daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pre-purchase jitters...

Getting ready to purchase a DaVinci Joint Adventure Mountain Tandem.

We've measure our hybrid Trek's and feel pretty confident that a medium frame fits our dimensions (we took a test ride on an In-2-ition road last week).

We're going to spring for the S&S couplers, even if we never go overseas with the tandem. We think the option will make it easier to transport.

My husband wants to go with 700c wheels (our combined weight is 320#).

He also wants the tandem outfitted with two disc brakes, instead of just one in the rear.

Since we will be ordering over the phone/internet, are there any other items to consider? Are there any downsides to ordering a tandem this way?

Thanks again for everyone's input,

Martha
Old 06-26-09, 09:54 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carmie
Are there any downsides to ordering a tandem this way?
It depends on who you're dealing with....

Todd or Brian at daVinci?

A well-respected daVinci dealer who sells a lot of daVinci tandems?

Or...????

If it's #1 or #2, you should be OK, just be sure to very candid with your requirements, listed to their recommendations and get everything in writing before you pull the trigger.

If it's #3, see above.
Old 06-26-09, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TG, we'd be dealing with Vince at Village Cyclesport outside of Chicago.

We feel pretty confident about his knowledge. Coincidentally, while we were browsing/test riding last week at his shop, a family came in with two DaVinci's they had purchased a few years ago from his shop. Every year they drive the 120 miles to have him service the tandems prior to the summer season. Their tandems looked well used and well loved!

I think my worries revolve around getting the bike to fit us well, and with the expense! I want the tandem to be perfect! I think I have to trust, trust, trust, and believe that any concern we have will be addressed!

Sorry for the rambling!
Old 06-26-09, 01:10 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carmie
TG, we'd be dealing with Vince at Village Cyclesport outside of Chicago.
You should be fine. Go have a Margarita and enjoy the weekend.
Old 06-26-09, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Things to maybe consider: C/f fork, stoker shock seatpost.
Patience . . . it'll soon be here!
Old 06-26-09, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking at the price on the tandem i can see why you hesitate, it is a big commitment even at the low end of the price scale. can't imagine a local shop would be much of a risk. they certainly want you back to by the big margin items on an on going basis.

good luck
Old 06-26-09, 09:43 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My wife and I have about 500 miles on our new Joint Venture and are enjoying it immensely. I'm a bit curious as to why you describe the purchase as a "mountain tandem"? Are you intending to do a good deal of off-road riding or just going with an mountain bike handlebar/shifter configuration? I'm no expert, but based on extensive expert opinion expressed hereabouts the front disc might be overkill for road riding other than superior performance in the wet. No harm, of course, but the disk does weigh more than the v-brakes which work well.

I'll second the CF fork recommendation. I still get some road buzz, but I believe this is attributable to our relatively high team weight (360?) and the ultra gatorskin front tire at 115 psi. I'm switching to 4 season which have a more compliant sidewall and this may help on chip seal.

Good luck with your impending new ride!
Old 06-27-09, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your comments!

Rick T, we want to be able to sit up in a more upright position when we ride. The online DaVinci catalog describes the Joint AdVenture model as a "off road tandem/hybrid". Even if we purchased a road bike, we would end up swapping the handlebars for something other than drop bars, and my understanding is that with a road bike purchase, the cables might not be long enough to accommodate a different handlebar setup.

Our current bikes are hybird Treks, 7.5 and a 7500 models. We like these bikes and want to replicate the way we sit on them.

As for dual disc brakes, I am not completely convinced that we need two of them. My husband seems to think they might give us better stopping ability. We are getting to the age where we want to minimize risk, even if it means a little more weight. Are two disc brakes overkill?

Thanks again to everyone for the input!
Old 06-27-09, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
2 discs overkill? Each tandem duo has their comfort level when riding.
At ages 76 and 74 we have cut down a bit on risks (no more 50+ mph descents), still ride around 100 miles a week and still run only 2 rim brakes and use drop bars. That fits our comfort level/riding style.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 06-27-09, 08:58 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Carmie,
I missed the "ad" in adVenture. Got the picture now.
Old 06-28-09, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a Cdale 07 with dual disc and it is great. In NH we are always up and then down hills whenever or wherever we ride. The stopping power of the disc allow me to focus on what is ahead knowing I can stop quickly if a surprise quickly arises.

We like to ride a bit fast and I try not to go over 40mph to often but when we do it is good to know I have plenty of stopping power.

And for the extra little weight... I figure if I am trying to reduce the weight of our ride, I'll drop it my self, 25 lbs so far.

Max out the bike with whatever will have you riding it the most often!!
Old 06-28-09, 12:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Carmie,
Just a note - I looked at the adVenture on the daVinci website and I think there is a small discrepancy in the features summary. The FD is described as a Compact Triple and the shifters are grip shifters. I don't know that these are compatible with the 12-18-24-30 quad chainring listed under Driving Gears. The daVinci triple driving gears are 14-21-28, but if the grip shifters and FD can handle the quad chainring that would be a fabulous setup.