Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

This forum is somewhat confusing...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-26-09, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It seems to me there are 2 types of CX fans here. Those into intense cyclocross racing, and those who love their CX bikes for everyday commuting, exercise, trail exploring, and adventure. I'm personally in the latter group. I wonder if we could somehow identify which discussions are along which lines, unless everyone recognizes the difference by thread topic. Nothing against racing, but I'd almost like to see a separate forum for the more relaxed CX cycling topics.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-26-09, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should be able to tell by the thread's context.
Old 06-26-09, 08:29 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Most posters are using a CX bike as an all-around bike. Sometimes racing is discussed.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-26-09, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's already a commuter forum.
Old 06-26-09, 08:35 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder what part of the Windy City you ride in. I'm on the Illinois Prairie Path in the far western suburbs. To above, I'm not into CX for commuting, but just mention it as part of overall CX experience.
Old 06-26-09, 10:26 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definitely vote "NO" on this proposal. As much as I love this forum, it is dead enough as it is...Multiple times each day I come here hoping for action but am almost always a little dissapointed in the low # of posts. I mostly fit into the latter group you described. But that does not mean I can't benefit from and enjoy the posts of the hardcore guys.
Old 06-26-09, 10:27 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't there a racing sub forum here a few years ago?
Old 06-26-09, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There still is... I don't see a problem with how it is now really.
Old 06-26-09, 11:43 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The problem is that too many threads are started without taking the time to think of a descriptive title. "Confused" or "Noobie question" gives no indication of the subject.
Old 06-27-09, 12:57 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
The problem is that too many threads are started without taking the time to think of a descriptive title. "Confused" or "Noobie question" gives no indication of the subject.
Yeah, but there are so few threads here you can read them all without much effort.
Old 06-27-09, 03:16 AM
Paramedic

Bikes: Marin Rockstar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a poster on various other forums for many years, ranging from members around the amount on here, to around 100, I feel it is done correctly here.

There are many members on here with many different subjects to discuss. Grouping categories together works really well in this case. This CX forum ranges from your average joe to the racing type. Breaking up the two would be silly. The average person probably will not enter the hardcore section, mainly because they would not need to. If you are riding to work, you don't really want to bother with people talking about the race last weekend, or all the sweet upgrades to keep up with the pack. Same goes with the other direction. Racers don't want to discuss your daily commute.

Keeping the discussions grouped together promotes unity of the different ranges of riders.
Old 06-27-09, 04:09 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Allow me to clear up the confusion: The forum is about cyclocross bikes, wherever you ride them.
Old 06-27-09, 10:45 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, I'm outvoted. Although I wasn't really pushing it, just voicing my thoughts and concern. I defer to my cycling colleagues here. But I hope when someone posts a basic cx question or comment in the wrong thread context, we take that into consideration and not make him look ignorant (I've seen that happen here a few times).
Old 06-27-09, 11:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As mentioned previously, the CX Racing subforum already exists. It got decent traffic last fall, and will probably pick up again as people finish their road seasons and gear up for the fall scene.

I also second the notion that the forum isn't overly crowded like the roadie forum, and that we could stand to learn from each other regardless of our reason for riding 700c knobbies with canti brakes.
Old 06-27-09, 11:54 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I would definitely vote "NO" on this proposal. As much as I love this forum, it is dead enough as it is...Multiple times each day I come here hoping for action but am almost always a little dissapointed in the low # of posts. I mostly fit into the latter group you described. But that does not mean I can't benefit from and enjoy the posts of the hardcore guys.
Roadbikereview has a much more active forum. Usually 2-3 new threads starded each day. That's a lot for what's basically a niche.
Old 06-27-09, 04:15 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
It seems to me there are 2 types of CX fans here.
I wonder if we could somehow identify which discussions are along which lines, unless everyone recognizes the difference by thread topic. Nothing against racing, but I'd almost like to see a separate forum for the more relaxed CX cycling topics.
Every forum has threads with misleading titles or titles that don't give enough info.
As a BF mod I'd say it's not going to happen. Most of the readers and posters here know what a thread is about.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-27-09, 06:11 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Every forum has threads with misleading titles or titles that don't give enough info.
As a BF mod I'd say it's not going to happen. Most of the readers and posters here know what a thread is about.
I don't think anyone should lose sleep over this. I still differ. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by Richard8655; 06-27-09 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can't wait 'til the cyclocross riders come in talking about running slicks. And the 'little' moderators. Such a power you have filtering the forums and sending 'warning' PMs. Ban at will!
Old 06-28-09, 10:17 AM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
Ok, I'm outvoted. Although I wasn't really pushing it, just voicing my thoughts and concern. I defer to my cycling colleagues here. But I hope when someone posts a basic cx question or comment in the wrong thread context, we take that into consideration and not make him look ignorant (I've seen that happen here a few times).
+1....I don't really understand why some people do that. I am just here to converse with other cyclists...no ego involved. I am too old or that crap
Old 06-28-09, 10:19 AM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Roadbikereview has a much more active forum. Usually 2-3 new threads starded each day. That's a lot for what's basically a niche.

Thanks for the lead. I feel a lot of loyalty to this community (my first forums and the best I have seen so far, overall), but it doesn't fully meet my cx needs, so I will head over there from time to time.
Old 06-28-09, 06:11 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
I can't wait 'til the cyclocross riders come in talking about running slicks. And the 'little' moderators. Such a power you have filtering the forums and sending 'warning' PMs. Ban at will!
WTF are you talking about?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-29-09, 12:45 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to above post.

'Course that's the guy that wanted to put a 29er suspension fork on his cross bike.

Can I make a thread about my choices in reflective skinsuits for visibility on the commute and style on the racecourse? This is a burning question for me.
Old 06-29-09, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
+1 to above post.

'Course that's the guy that wanted to put a 29er suspension fork on his cross bike.

Can I make a thread about my choices in reflective skinsuits for visibility on the commute and style on the racecourse? This is a burning question for me.
Punk @$$ kid kissing @$$!