Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you stop for stop signs?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 06-29-09, 09:14 AM
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly, I should, but sometimes run them depending on the situation. I need to make it a habit to stop all the time. I rather stop for a few seconds than pay a ticket.
Old 06-29-09, 09:18 AM
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally situational. Main factors are visibility and other vehicles approaching the intersection. If I have full visibility and no other vehicles, I slow only somewhat, if at all. If there is another vehicle approaching the intersection, I come to a complete, (usually) unclipped stop.
Old 06-29-09, 09:20 AM
Temporary Earthling

Bikes: Raliegh 'Grande Prix', Fiori 'Modena', Cannondale 'Something or other' and a Specialized 'Globe Sport'.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamecoug
Years ago, I tried a frequent 60 mile ride with stopping dead at every stop sign. It took a hell of a lot longer and of course, then you have to make steam. I always slow down for stop signs and stop dead when there's other traffic. Otherwise, I employ the (multiple) 'look left/look right/look left again' wisdom we were taught as kids.
Old 06-29-09, 09:36 AM
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, always unless it's a 4-way stop sign. Then it kinda depends on traffic and visibility, I usually slow down though.
Old 06-29-09, 09:40 AM

Bikes: 2007 Surly Cross Check, 199? Novara Alpine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It says "stop" for a reason. Running stop signs perpetuates many of the bad attitudes that motorists have about bicyclists. We are not above the rules of the road. Do everyone a favor and stop. Someday you'll be glad you did.
Old 06-29-09, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Unclipped stop if traffic allows.
Old 06-29-09, 10:00 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
50% of the time. a few stops signs around here are really dangerious so i make sure to stop no matter what. others, i slow down and coast threw them unless i see another motorist then i stop, put a foot down and stand over top tube and wait for them to go or the wave me threw. i always stop at red lights even if other cyclist run them. i think i do this because traffic is moving faster, its unpredictable who is going which way.
Old 06-29-09, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Raliegh M80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Often
Old 06-29-09, 10:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop if someone else has the right of way or if I get to the intersection and a car gets there right after me, I don't want confusion to end in an accident or anything. But I don't blow through them, I slow down enough to see if anything is approaching before I decided to start pedaling again.
Old 06-29-09, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mostly.....but if I have good visibility and there's no traffic, then no. But if there are cars around, I stop.
Old 06-29-09, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop when there are other cars. It's always a blast to stand there and play the "no you go ahead, no you, no.. you..." wave thing that people here like to play.
Old 06-29-09, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by knobster
I stop when there are other cars. It's always a blast to stand there and play the "no you go ahead, no you, no.. you..." wave thing that people here like to play.
I don't play that game. I point directly at them and in my loud stern voice, I say "YOU!! GO!!" I got that from Carlin, and started doing that in my car years ago. It's far more effective when the windows are down.
Old 06-29-09, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's say I never blow through them. I always slow down, but I am guilty as charged on the count of obeying the Idaho stop law even though I live far, far away from Idaho! ;-)

I actually only encounter one stop sign on my commute route. Rest is traffic lights, which I always stop for if red, and MUP. As others have said, when there's traffic there, I stop and yield ROW as I would if in a car. When I'm on quieter sidestreets though if I alter my route or take a weekend ride, and there's no other cars/bikes at the intersection, I will coast through after slowing and looking very carefully.
Old 06-29-09, 10:19 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I slow down quite a bit, and stop if there's any traffic at all. Honestly, I slow down to a whole lot slower than I see ANY car slow down to. If there's anyone around on either street, yes, I stop. However, I only have three stop signs on my route, one is between two back alley streets that there are hardly ever cars on, one is when that road meets the main road and I usually have to stop, and the other is at the end of the private driveway going into the private parking lot at work. I always slow down a whole lot there even though there's never been anyone coming.

So it's situational, I'd say I stop 1/3 of the time, and come to a very slow speed the rest of the time. By "slow speed" I mean slow enough that it's the next best thing to a trackstand, and most people would probably think I stopped.
Old 06-29-09, 10:21 AM
Retro-Direct Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is any other traffic present, I stop. If there is not, I don't sacrifice my precious momentum to pointless rule following.

Discounting both motorists in the world who never exceed the posted speed limit, everyone bends the strict directives of traffic laws based on conditions and their perception of actual risks. It is certainly debatable when and to what degree one should substitute one's own judgment for that of the traffic code. But it seems to me that the likely impact of a misjudgment on others is a significant factor in that equation, so it's perfectly reasonable to run stop signs on a bike in situations where I'd like a car to stop.

So if I'm on a bike and there's nobody else at the intersection, I can't imagine why I'd stop or why anyone would care if I did. If there is anyone else at the intersection, I'm going to strictly adhere to the rules of the road. The cars won't, usually out of trying to be nice, and that will annoy me; but that's a different issue.
Old 06-29-09, 10:40 AM
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the idea of not stopping when no one is around a bit concerning... I'm guilty of it too, but we ALL should really STOP no matter what.

We cyclist fight to have the same rights as vehicles and in most if not all states a person on a bicycle is considered a vehicle. My mindset has changed and when it comes to making decisions about running stop signs or cheating traffic lights I ask myself one question, "If I was in my car instead of riding would I run it?"

I don't know about you guys, but I stop at stop signs when driving in the dead of night and obviously no one is around. I don't run a red light even if there are no cars visible.

As someone stated. We're constantly fighting for equality on the road, but we really perpetuate the negative stereotypes and connotations connected to cycling when we pull maneuvers like running stop signs or red lights.

EDIT:

One more incentive... I rather not have a cop who is scouting the area see me run a red or stop sign. It'll go on your driving record (weird I know) and you'll be paying a hefty fine. I rather spend that money and time on my bike.
Old 06-29-09, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop

The stop sign is there for a reason. I always stop for stop signs. It seems to me that it creates a good image for bike riders. I know several people in our group that get yelled at, on a regular basis, by drivers when they do not stop. Presenting a good image is important to me for the future of bike riding.
Old 06-29-09, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live, you would be just about the ONLY person that stops at a stop sign, no matter what they were driving. People ALMOST come to a stop, but unless there are multiple cars coming from different directions at a 4-way stop sign, people just sort of lurch to an almost-stop and then continue. If you don't slow down to an almost-stop, then people will get angry, and you could get a traffic violation from the police.

You can't blow-through stop signs, but stopping is actually dangerous. If you DO stop, people figure that you are playing with your radio or cell phone in an automobile, or they think that you have a flat tire or something when you are on a bicycle, and they pull right out in front of you.

So...it depends on the habits of drivers in your area, as to what you should do. If local law enforcement really gives out tickets for not stopping, and people in cars stop, then you should as well. If they don't, then just be as safe as you can. My focus is on being safe. I'll take "wrong" and safe, over "right" and in the hospital any day.

Last edited by Pinyon; 06-29-09 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 11:32 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
define stop
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-29-09, 11:48 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gamecoug
I don't come to a dead stop, for every stop sign. In the small town(400 people; really just an enclave), I don't since there are very few of them. But, in the city that surrounds it, I do stop.

Last edited by Chris516; 06-29-09 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar error
Old 06-29-09, 11:49 AM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop. BTW I was hit by a stop sign running biker a couple years ago, luckily only he was seriously injured. So I have no patience for them.
Old 06-29-09, 12:06 PM
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I roll through the one stop sign on my route. I need to go right, and I only stop if there are cars coming, or a vehicle is behind me- because I like to make a good impression for us bike commuters
Old 06-29-09, 12:43 PM
Cyclocross - Go anywhere!

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stop. Every time. Stop = cessation of movement. I have clipless pedals too. Doesn't seem to bother me to stop, or unclip. Sometimes I don't put my foot down, but show me where I have to. I don't stop for fear of a ticket. That would be stupid and putting a rather low price on my life. I rarely see others stop, sadly. Worse when they run a stop sign/red light that I've stopped for. I figure, stopping is healthier. I get more excersize from accelerating. If stop signs are a big problem on a long ride - find another route!
Old 06-29-09, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, but fortunately they're rare here (France). You find them mainly when a little road crosses a big road. In these situations, I'd stop even without a sign. Most intersections are roundabouts which are nice on a bike since I barely need to slow down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.