Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

another serial # post! old tiny schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this tiny little Schwinn caliente that i've had since i was like 9 ... well it was the perfect height for me then...its tiny. wish it wasnt or i'd be on the road with it. but anyway, im trying to figure out a date and if its worth anything but at the same time im not very good with bikes yet...i cant tell whats original and im having troubles with the serial number. ive found charts, but im a tad confused. the number i found was on the rear dropout, it reads SK019809. under the crank housing i've found G-9 with "67" right underneath that. the charts ive found dont seem to have a serial number listed that started with s. the site i found "bunchobikes.com" says that where i found the serial # indicates a date between '52 & '70 ... but it doesnt match up with the serial number and i just cannot figure this out!

saddle is schwinn but im doubting original...shimano gears..24x1.25" tires...stuff like that. im just trying to figure out when its from, and if i went to sell it whats the max i could get out of it?

can anyone help??
Old 06-30-09, 05:51 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
My daughter has a Caliente like that in pink. Look on the Schwinn badge on the head tube, there should be a four digit number lightly stamped. The first three digits are the day of the year, the last is the last digit of the year. You should be able to figure out the decade. My daughter's bike is 1988. They are not really valuable, except to a small person who can't fit a full sized bike.
Old 06-30-09, 06:11 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Bike does not have much value. Juvenile sized bikes are hard to sell. And the Caliente's I have seen have steel wheels, steel crankset, gas pipe frame. So it is a bottom end juvenile bike.

A super clean ready to ride version might be worth $75 max. I have donated bikes like that to my favorite charity as there are no customers around here for such a bike. I passed on one last week for $10.
Old 06-30-09, 07:25 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Moving to valuation forum, since that is the direction of the discussion.

Would suggest a different thread without the request for value to help in identifying the vintage of the bike.