Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Northern Illinois/Chicago bike shops/rentals

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 1996 GT Timberline (All Rigid), Aspect 45 (Hardtail), Schwinn Pro Stock 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm from Georgia but am likely going to fly up to Chicago to visit my girlfriend in late July. She goes to school in Atlanta but stays with family during the summer and she wanted me to meet her family (god save me). We'll be in Northern Chicago suburbs and I was looking into doing the Lake Zurich sprint triathlon on August 2nd. I'd rather do the Muddy Buddy on the 2nd but I doubt I'm going to find a partner that is going to want to be held back by me. Nor is my gf up to the task of the Muddy Buddy.

Anyways it costs close to $200 each way to fly my road bike (it'd be cheaper to fly a person and use them as a bike) nor do I have a bike carrier. So my next option is renting a bike. I do not care what kind of bike it is. It can be a full on triathlon bike that would make any IM champ drool, decent road bike or even a mountain bike (as long as it has lockout on the shocks). I also want a dependable bike which is why I'd prefer one from a reputable shop than some tourist/city park rental place. I can bring my own clipless pedals/shoes.

If anyone knows of some reputable bicycle shops I could call or have my gf check out that'd be appreciated. I am on somewhat of a budget (would not like to spend more than $100) so the cheaper the better. Also since the race is on Sunday I'm guessing shops won't be open for me to return the bike. So I'd pick it up on Saturday and have my gf return it for me on Monday since I'll be leaving later on that Sunday.

I saw some other threads with bike rental places but most were downtown

Any help is appreciated
Mark
Old 07-01-09, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not familiar with the Northern suburbs, but this place downtown rents road bikes.
Also, this site lists all bikeshops in Chicagoland on a Google map. I suggest you call around a bit.

Duppie
Old 07-01-09, 08:55 PM
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smittie61984
I'm from Georgia but am likely going to fly up to Chicago ....... So my next option is renting a bike. ...... If anyone knows of some reputable bicycle shops I could call ...... Any help is appreciated
Mark,

duppie gave you the link to the map, here's the list with addresses/phone numbers:
https://www.chicagobikeshops.info/bikeShopList.php

Enjoy!
Old 07-02-09, 05:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Village CycleSport. They rent bikes. Their WEB site mentions hybrid bikes but I know they have rented road bikes. I would suggest calling the Elk Grove location first. They have 2 other stores futher north but start with Elk Grove. https://villagecyclesport.com/