Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Messenger Woods and Messenger Marsh Trails Question

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 07-04-09, 02:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 400 and Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with the trails in Homer Glen and Lockport; Messenger Woods and Messenger Marsh?

Messenger Marsh is fairly new and looks to be a MUP, including equestrian use. Crushed gravel or limestone?

Would it be suitable for biking with your family? How are the bugs and such? How firmly packed is the trail itself? Could you easily tow a trailer with kids or a TAB on this trail? Is this a trail kids could easily ride on their own bikes (accompanied by parents or family members)?

Have driven past this one, looks nice. Wondering how the kids would do. The online maps look like it's made up of 2 or 3 fairly small loops.

Thanks!

DL
Old 07-04-09, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode on the trails in Messenger Marsh several weeks back. These trails have a limestone surface and total about 3 miles. Watch for horses while on the trails here. You shouldn't have much of a problem with a bike trailer there even though it might be a bit harder than on pavement.

As for Messenger Woods off Bruce Rd., bicycles are not allowed on the trails there since they are dirt and the preserve is a nature preserve.

Hope this helps,
Brian from Joliet
Old 07-04-09, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Trek 400 and Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you clued me in about Messenger Woods not allowing bikes....that could've been bad. You hate to have the kids thinking they're going on a nice bike ride only to find out the trail's off limits.

Messenger Marsh looked like it might be a fun ride for the kids if the bugs aren't too bad. Probably similar to riding on the I & M Canal trail, just way shorter.

DL