Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to make a bike faster?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My girlfriend has a trek 7.5 FX and I have a redline 510. Her bike is really quick and I have to peddle a good amount more then her to keep up with her. Any suggestions or am I out of luck?
Old 07-06-09, 03:15 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not sure what the Redline 510 is. If it's a mountain bike, you might try slicks rather than knobby tires on it. Otherwise, work out more, get a new bike, or ask her to slow down a bit.

It may be her that's quick, and not her bike.

Also, check your air pressure, make sure you're okay there. Make sure everything's spinning freely- pick the bike up and give the wheels a whirl, should be obvious if something's binding up or a brake is rubbing.
Old 07-06-09, 03:41 PM
Mekanicul Enjuneer

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch bikes on a ride. Does the quickness shift over to you, or does she still kick your butt? There's your answer.
Old 07-06-09, 03:48 PM
I am Joe's lactic acid.

Bikes: 2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this it?
https://www.joebikeler.com/store/product/redline_r_510/

I would guess that most of the problem is how heavy it is and how huge the tires are (700 x 55?)
The gearing looks fine to me (28/38/48, 11-34). I had a hybrid geared like that and it was pretty quick. Besides, I figure the Trek has similar if not the same gearing.

If the tires are knobby, you can start there and swap them for smooth/slick tires.
Make sure they're inflated fully. Check if the brakes are rubbing. Assuming none of the bearings or wheel hubs are worn out, that's probably all there is to it.
Old 07-06-09, 04:50 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mpotapa
My girlfriend has a trek 7.5 FX and I have a redline 510. Her bike is really quick and I have to peddle a good amount more then her to keep up with her. Any suggestions or am I out of luck?
You're out of luck.
The Redline 510 is a true hybrid. The Trek 7.5 FX is a flat bar road bike.
Hybrids are inherently slow. Flat bar road bikes are designed to be faster than a hybrid but not as fast as a traditional road bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-06-09, 06:15 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have to peddle a good amount
What are you selling, and how does selling something make a bike go faster?
Old 07-06-09, 06:26 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I would say the Trek 7.5 FX is a hybrid - but the pendulum swings closer to road-bike than mountain-bike. All hybrids go a bit one way or another in this way. But the Trek 7.5 FX is a very quick bike. No match for a actual road-bike - a good one - but for a hybrid, it trucks quick.
Old 07-06-09, 06:28 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
The Redline is also a much more upright bike, so she is almost certainly in a more aerodynamic position than you are, with her torso probably tilted forward at 45 degrees.
Old 07-06-09, 07:49 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope she waits for you at the top of the hills, and meantimes, enjoy the view.
Old 07-06-09, 08:56 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try using a narrower tire, down to 28mm width, with the tire pressures all the way to the max. Check bearing preload at the hub cones to make sure the cones aren't too tight.
The 7.5 has higher gearing as well.
Old 07-06-09, 09:10 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Ride more ... outside.
Old 07-06-09, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
You're out of luck.
The Redline 510 is a true hybrid. The Trek 7.5 FX is a flat bar road bike.
Hybrids are inherently slow. Flat bar road bikes are designed to be faster than a hybrid but not as fast as a traditional road bike.
What's "flat bar" mean?
Old 07-06-09, 10:04 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Straight handlebar instead of the curved-under style used on a road bike.
Old 07-06-09, 10:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Straight handlebar instead of the curved-under style used on a road bike.
Gotcha! That curved-under style bar is a "drop bar"? Bare with me guys... I'm getting it slowly but surely

While I've derailed the thread maybe I could ask another question about something I've seen discussed in this thread. What exactly makes one bike style so much faster than another bike style, especially when they seem so similar? I could understand tires making a big difference, but it seems as if subtle changes in the frame and handlebars (like the difference between a hybrid, cyclocross, and road bike) make a large difference in speed. I'm just curious how.
Old 07-06-09, 10:57 PM
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main differences why some bikes are faster are in the frame geometry. Subtle changes in frame geometry can alter performance in huge amounts.

For instance: I have a Trek 1100 which I used to ride a lot. It's a 60 cm frame with a 57 top tube. The seat tube angle is 73.5 degrees. I now have a carbon framed Orbea Orca that I ride. It's also a 60 cm frame size but has a 59 cm top tube. The seat tube angle is 74 degrees.

The difference between the 2 bikes is astounding. On the Trek I averaged around 13-14mph on just about any ride over 20 miles. On flats I could maintain 23mph for around 2-3 miles before I would blow up and couldn't push the gears anymore.

The Orbea is a joy to ride. I can AVERAGE 19 mph over 25 miles on it over the same roads and I never get winded doing it.

Same frame size, different geometry.
Old 07-07-09, 05:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is amazing Rob, a half of a degree of difference in seat tube angle making the bike that much faster.
Old 07-07-09, 06:05 AM
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by SteelCity
Gotcha! That curved-under style bar is a "drop bar"? Bare with me guys... I'm getting it slowly but surely

While I've derailed the thread maybe I could ask another question about something I've seen discussed in this thread. What exactly makes one bike style so much faster than another bike style, especially when they seem so similar? I could understand tires making a big difference, but it seems as if subtle changes in the frame and handlebars (like the difference between a hybrid, cyclocross, and road bike) make a large difference in speed. I'm just curious how.
A big difference is aerodynamics. Recumbents are fast because much of the rider's body is horizontal. Time Trial bikes are fast because the rider leans forward on the front jutting aero bars to make the torso almost horizontal and keep the arms in a streamlined position. Racing bikes are fast because the handlebars are set lower than the seat to get the torso tilted far forward. Comfort bikes are slow in part because you sit upright in the wind.

Another issue is optimizing leg power. If you are leaning forward over the pedals you can push down harder using your body weight, and thus accelerate and sprint faster than if you are sitting upright. On a recumbent, that same effect is accomplished by having a brace behind your back.

A lighter bike is slightly faster to accelerate, and faster uphill, but a little slower downhill, and not much different from a heavy bike cruising on the flats.

High pressure tires (which are usually skinny) are a bit faster than low pressure tires (which are usually fat), but wide tires pumped up to high pressure are faster than skinny tires at the same pressure.

Slick tires are faster than knobby ones.

Small wheels accelerate faster than big ones, but don't have any weight advantage once your speed levels off. However, they are also slightly more aerodynamic than large wheels.

Aerodynamics and leg power (the first two) are the most important, and bike weight is somewhat important in really hilly conditions.

Last edited by cooker; 07-07-09 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 06:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Optimize your aero. Slide the stem down as far as it'll go, then drop the angle on it (it's adjustable, right?) so it's parallel with the ground. Then flip the riser bars upside down so they drop down then pull back. Get 100psi road tires, no more than 32mm wide (1 1/4").

You reach the point of diminishing returns after that. So, if that's not enough to let you keep up, you'll need a new bike. WARNING!!! If you one-up her, she will one-up you and the arms race will be on! Which is to say, if you're gonna do it, you might as well go all the way now. Buying a $5K bike now will be cheaper than buying a series of $1K bikes.
Old 07-07-09, 06:29 AM
Just ride it.

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
What are you selling, and how does selling something make a bike go faster?

LOL! That was funny!
Old 07-07-09, 08:10 AM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
A lighter bike is slightly faster to accelerate, and faster uphill, a little slower downhill, and not much different from a heavy bike cruising on the flats.
I haven't thought about this in terms of bikes, but doesn't gravity accelerate all objects at the same rate, regardless of mass? Maybe it's a question of inertia or momentum?
Old 07-07-09, 08:16 AM
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by SteelCity
That is amazing Rob, a half of a degree of difference in seat tube angle making the bike that much faster.
It's also the longer top tube, which stretches him out a bit, and thus puts his head lower, and there may be differences in tires, gearing and handlebar height that he didn't mention.
Old 07-07-09, 08:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
I haven't thought about this in terms of bikes, but doesn't gravity accelerate all objects at the same rate, regardless of mass?
If it were only gravity acting on it, then yes. But there is more to it, such as road friction and wind resistance, which I assume heavier weight will help power thru. Think of a bowling ball and a beach ball of the same size falling from high in the sky. I'm willing to bet the bowling ball hits the ground first.

Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist and the pay per hour motel I slept in last night was definitely not a Holiday Inn.
Old 07-07-09, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
I haven't thought about this in terms of bikes, but doesn't gravity accelerate all objects at the same rate, regardless of mass? Maybe it's a question of inertia or momentum?
When falling yes, but bikes roll down a hill, so rolling resistence comes into play along with weight. For example, a heavy Hot Wheels car or a Pine Wood Derby car is faster on a steep decent track. The lighter car is normally faster on a track with a long level run at the bottom where it passes the heavier car. This illustrates the coasting effect with gravity and weight.

Many other factors are involved which someone in physics can describe.
Old 07-07-09, 10:26 AM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rolling resistance would be slightly higher for a heavier bike (frictional force = mu*normal force). So that isn't it.

yes, something like a feather and a book fall at different rates, but that's due to air resistance. put the feather on top of the book and drop: they fall at the same rate.

the forces acting on two cyclists are the same: gravity, rolling resistance, and air resistance (ignoring internal mechanical inefficiencies). there is no difference in air resistance between two bikes, assuming they are of the same geometry. one could weigh 14 lbs, the other 30, and it's inconsequential to air resistance. as i said before, rolling resistance rises with weight. and gravity accelerates all objects at about 9.8 (m/s)/s.

even looking at in terms of kinetic energy, mass is irrelevant.
ke = 0.5*m*v^2
this rearranges to v = (0.5 ke/m)^0.5
which, assuming you are coasting from the top of a hill, is
v = (0.5 *m*g*h/m)^0.5 = (0.5*g*h)^0.5, ignoring energy lost from resistance.

where mass will come into play is just after the hill. the bike/rider combo with more mass has more kinetic energy (and momentum, if you choose to look at it that way), as they both are moving the same speed, but one has more mass. This means more work is required to stop the heavier bike. If both bikes continue coasting, the lighter one will stop first. This is also important if you want to brake very quickly. the lighter guy stops first.

Last edited by tadawdy; 07-07-09 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 10:30 AM
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say that you have to pedal a good deal more than her in order to keep up with her, so you may want to look at your gearing. A larger chainring (up front) or a smaller cog (in back) will give you a higher top-end speed.

As the others have said, check your wind resistance and your rolling resistance. Are you wearing a big floppy shirt? Does your wheel rub against your brake?

Also, do you maintain your drive train? Is it noisy? Remember, every "squeak" out of your chain and gears is a little bit of lost energy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.