Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Are any teams using Shimano Di2?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-07-09, 06:37 AM
Celeste is best

Bikes: Bianchi XL Carbon 2003 Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wanted to know. If not, would it be because its still new and somewhat unproven?
Old 07-07-09, 08:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a few using it in the ITT, 2-3 teams perhaps? I haven't really noticed in the other 2 stages but I haven't been looking that carefully.

You can bet Skil Shimano will all be using it
Old 07-07-09, 08:34 AM
LBS Employee/Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Soho, 2010 Gary Fisher Monona w/ Xtracycle FreeRadical, 198X Facet BioTour 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzarj
You can bet Skil Shimano will all be using it
I think it's more that you can bet that they will all have it as an equipment option. If a rider is very comfortable with the standard Dura-Ace 7900, they may choose to keep it rather than use something they aren't 100% confident in. I would bet it is not to be on the bikes for some of the climbers or mountain stages because of the higher weight. I think the only real benefit for a pro would be on TT bikes having shifting available in the bullhorns instead of just the aerobars.
Old 07-07-09, 09:19 AM

Bikes: '08 Specialized Allez Elite, Trek 7200, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting article posted on the Velo News TdF feed about Garmin's use of Di2. Farrar's setup is peculiar: https://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/94481
Old 07-07-09, 09:43 AM
Cyclist

Bikes: Time Speeder, Rival, carbon tubulars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Bike Radar:

Though Shimano's new Dura-Ace Di2 system still isn't ubiquitous in the peloton on the road stages, nearly the entirety of the Rabobank, Garmin-Slipstream and Columbia-High Road TT fleets were so equipped. Speedy shifting, ultra-short button throws and fancy auto-trimming front derailleur aside, Di2's biggest draw here was perhaps the multiple sets of shift buttons - one pair out on the aero extensions as usual but another neatly integrated into the brake levers mounts on the base bar.
Old 07-07-09, 10:54 PM
LBS Employee/Commuter

Bikes: 2007 Trek Soho, 2010 Gary Fisher Monona w/ Xtracycle FreeRadical, 198X Facet BioTour 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture on the Skil-Shimano website, clearly showing a standard DA and Di2 side by side.

My feeling is that Campy sponsored teams will ride Super Record 11, SRAM sponsored teams will ride RED, Shimano sponsored teams will have the option of 7900 or Di2. If there isn't a drive train sponsor, I would think most are riding 7900
Old 07-08-09, 02:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjoerges
Picture on the Skil-Shimano website, clearly showing a standard DA and Di2 side by side.

My feeling is that Campy sponsored teams will ride Super Record 11, SRAM sponsored teams will ride RED, Shimano sponsored teams will have the option of 7900 or Di2. If there isn't a drive train sponsor, I would think most are riding 7900
Skil were using both in the TTT yesterday looked like 7 or 8 riders on Di2. Rabobank seemed to be all Di2 from what I could see. The other Shimano teams were more mixed.
Old 07-08-09, 05:57 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjoerges
I think it's more that you can bet that they will all have it as an equipment option. If a rider is very comfortable with the standard Dura-Ace 7900, they may choose to keep it rather than use something they aren't 100% confident in. I would bet it is not to be on the bikes for some of the climbers or mountain stages because of the higher weight. I think the only real benefit for a pro would be on TT bikes having shifting available in the bullhorns instead of just the aerobars.
Weight isn't a concern as it is too easy to build a bike below the UCI weight limit these days. Take a 950g frame and a 1000g wheelset and they probably have to add weight. Di2 weighs about the same as DA 7800 does.
Old 07-08-09, 09:31 PM
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you folks like DA Elektro?

Do you like the idea more than the product itself?
Old 07-08-09, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I think for the avg joe, it might be over kill. I can't imagine the need to drop 4000 for a battery pack, an some electronics. I'll stick my lowly 105 shifters til they croak an then look for something to replace them.

Old 07-09-09, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howzit
Do you folks like DA Elektro?

Do you like the idea more than the product itself?
Way out of my price range! Technically its an interesting system that has some benefits and potentially disadvantages in terms of reliabilty. A mechanical system can be fixed on the road, an electrical system either works or doesn't (although I'm sure Shimano must have done extensive testing).

I'm quite happy with Ultegra/105 for now.