Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bullet PROOF Road Racing Tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Guys,& Gals,

Need a Lil honest advice on respectable Road/Race Tires...

Recently got a ALL Carbon Bike only to learn THE HARD WAY that they too come with CHEAP Tires,& Tubes!

WIPED OUT! HAMMERING a turn on a Downhill Slant,front tire Blew out INSTANTLY while COMPLETELY Commited to the Corner.

I can say this,There is a MINUS to EXTREMELY Light Bikes.Flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the BLINK of an Eye,and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

Road Rash,skidding Grinding yeah,& MULTIPLE Chiroractor Visits.

Shoulders back in place,but the Collarbone may NEVER be...

At any rate,I know there's been MUCH discussion on tires,& I know a LOT of you have had a GREAT Deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.And I know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

However after POURING through the posts I've found that a LOT of the recomended eqpt. is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

Such as the Conti Gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

Regardless I'm STILL in the same Boat!

I need a Bullet PROOF Tire in the Sidewalls as well as the center.One that has low Rolling Resistace in the Center,& HUGS a turn with the Sidewalls sticking to the Tarmac like GLUE!

LOTS of road debris,shards of gravel Spit,& Washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
Not to Mention SERIOUS hills in my area.

Practically RIPPED a tire off of the Rim Hammering a Sharp Uphill turn at the Lip.After quick correction I saw the tire wobble from left to right.

I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.

Not sure that there's ANYTING in production out there that can keep up with me,but I at least have to try,& get my Paws on whatevers the closest to it.

I REALLY would appreciate ALL useful Input on the subject of Dependable Tubes,& Tires in the 23-25cm range usable under EXTREME Road Riding/Racing Conditions.

Cheerz,
Chaz
Old 07-07-09, 02:13 PM

Bikes: KHS Flite 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post of the month.
Old 07-07-09, 02:15 PM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bullet vs. tire

bullet wins

seriously, use a well-glued tubular when you race. if they flat, they will stay attached.
Old 07-07-09, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Roubaix Pro, 2008 Giant Trance X2, 2009 Giant Seek 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeleuo
Not sure that there's ANYTING in production out there that can keep up with me,but I at least have to try,& get my Paws on whatevers the closest to it.
Thanks for giving me a new quote for my sig.
Old 07-07-09, 02:27 PM
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
bulletproof is the most overused term in the sport. no tire is bulletproof, everything is a trade-off of some kind.
Old 07-07-09, 02:34 PM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey Guys,& Gals,

....I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.

Cheerz,
Chaz

my favorite part.

later.
Old 07-07-09, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
The only tire that can keep up with MY world-class ROAD-SLAMMING DEMANDS as one of the planet's GREATEST, toughest (yet unknown) riders is the Vredestein Fortezza SuperLite. https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400013_400235

Seriously, I weigh about 200 aszkicking POUNDS, and have been riding these tires HARD and through CRAP that would have flatted the conti GPs I used to run all the time -- even when I'm using the LIGHTEST conti race tubes on the market.

They corner better than any non-tubular tire I've ever ridden and the rolling resistance feels low to the conti GP 4000 and 3000 I've ridden. And I'm TOUGH on tires. TOUGH!

At 180g per tire, I can't believe how tough they are... almost as INCREDIBLY badazs and BULLETPROOF as I am.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SPlKE; 07-07-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 02:54 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The grammar and Capitalizations in This Post are AMAZING.You know,
Old 07-07-09, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MadGrad
The grammar and Capitalizations in This Post are AMAZING.You know,
I sometimes HAMMER THE KEYS as hard as I HAMMER on my BIKE, which is to say, HARD! REAL hard!
Old 07-07-09, 02:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's nothing in production that can keep up with you, sorry.
Old 07-07-09, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like Conti GP4000s. I don't know about slamdancing, but they're good cornering and good wearing tires. I uses Specialized tubes because that's what the LBS carries. I think they're all the same, anyway.
Old 07-07-09, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Old 07-07-09, 03:03 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life... Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.
Old 07-07-09, 03:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a fat friend that decimated bottom brackets because he "slamdanced" on his bike. He stopped riding and is still fat.
Old 07-07-09, 03:53 PM
kila kila kila

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
FYI: 19 out of 26 sentences contained EXTREME words, averaging 1.9 per sentence.

Old 07-07-09, 03:55 PM

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lose the tires and ride the rims brah, no more flats!
Old 07-07-09, 03:59 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Guys,& Gals,

Need a Lil honest advice on respectable Road/Race Tires...

Recently got a ALL Carbon Bike only to learn THE HARD WAY that they too come with CHEAP Tires,& Tubes!

WIPED OUT! HAMMERING a turn on a Downhill Slant,front tire Blew out INSTANTLY while COMPLETELY Commited to the Corner.

I can say this,There is a MINUS to EXTREMELY Light Bikes.Flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the BLINK of an Eye,and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

Road Rash,skidding Grinding yeah,& MULTIPLE Chiroractor Visits.

Shoulders back in place,but the Collarbone may NEVER be...

At any rate,I know there's been MUCH discussion on tires,& I know a LOT of you have had a GREAT Deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.And I know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

However after POURING through the posts I've found that a LOT of the recomended eqpt. is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

Such as the Conti Gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

Regardless I'm STILL in the same Boat!

I need a Bullet PROOF Tire in the Sidewalls as well as the center.One that has low Rolling Resistace in the Center,& HUGS a turn with the Sidewalls sticking to the Tarmac like GLUE!

LOTS of road debris,shards of gravel Spit,& Washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
Not to Mention SERIOUS hills in my area.

Practically RIPPED a tire off of the Rim Hammering a Sharp Uphill turn at the Lip.After quick correction I saw the tire wobble from left to right.

I'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& Fairly Fit.I tend to outwork EVERY tool I use in life so Cycling I expect to be the same to a degree.I ride FAST,& HARD.Slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.ESPECIALLY in turns.

I REALLY would appreciate ALL useful Input on the subject of Dependable Tubes,& Tires in the 23-25cm range usable under EXTREME Road Riding/Racing Conditions.

Cheerz,
Chaz
First, quoted so you can't change it.

Second, this could be one of the greatest posts yet.

This is for you!

Buy your bike parts here
Old 07-07-09, 04:03 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5FX, '09 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Jynx. I think we've reached a new level of epic-ness. It's so... EPIC!
Old 07-07-09, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team / Handbuilt fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Armadillo tires.
If those are to heavy, I've had a great time with the Schwalbe Ultremo DDs
Old 07-07-09, 04:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn it I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of Conti Gatorskins!!!! If that doesn't greatly reduce the flats then the whole bike is going in the ditch!!!!
Old 07-07-09, 04:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goose5
Damn it I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of Conti Gatorskins!!!! If that doesn't greatly reduce the flats then the whole bike is going in the ditch!!!!
Would you mind telling me exactly which ditch it's going in?
Oh, and what size frame is it?
Old 07-07-09, 04:47 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and came CRASHING down on my Left Shoulder,& the Top of my head still mounted to the Steed!

Cheerz,
Chaz
This explains alot.

Although, I'm still unclear why the Top of your head was mounted to your Steed. Wouldn't you have been more comfortable sitting on the saddle?
Old 07-07-09, 05:12 PM

Bikes: Scattante CFR Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey guys,& gals,

need a lil honest advice on respectable road/race tires...

Recently got a all carbon bike only to learn the hard way that they too come with cheap tires,& tubes!

Wiped out! Hammering a turn on a downhill slant,front tire blew out instantly while completely commited to the corner.

I can say this,there is a minus to extremely light bikes.flipped from one 45degree angle to another in the blink of an eye,and came crashing down on my left shoulder,& the top of my head still mounted to the steed!

Road rash,skidding grinding yeah,& multiple chiroractor visits.

Shoulders back in place,but the collarbone may never be...

At any rate,i know there's been much discussion on tires,& i know a lot of you have had a great deal of trial,& error with tires,& tubes.and i know a lot of you experience similar riding conditions.

However after pouring through the posts i've found that a lot of the recomended eqpt. Is no longer in production,or has particular drawbacks.

Such as the conti gators poking holes in the tubes from the inside bead etc...

Regardless i'm still in the same boat!

I need a bullet proof tire in the sidewalls as well as the center.one that has low rolling resistace in the center,& hugs a turn with the sidewalls sticking to the tarmac like glue!

Lots of road debris,shards of gravel spit,& washed out onto the roads,broken glass you name it.
Not to mention serious hills in my area.

Practically ripped a tire off of the rim hammering a sharp uphill turn at the lip.after quick correction i saw the tire wobble from left to right.

i'm 6'4" 210lbs,solid,& fairly fit.i tend to outwork every tool i use in life so cycling i expect to be the same to a degree.i ride fast,& hard.slamdancing would probably define my style of riding best.especially in turns.

not sure that there's anyting in production out there that can keep up with me,but i at least have to try,& get my paws on whatevers the closest to it.

I really would appreciate all useful input on the subject of dependable tubes,& tires in the 23-25cm range usable under extreme road riding/racing conditions.

Cheerz,
chaz
eexxttrreemmee!!!!!!
Old 07-07-09, 05:18 PM
makn'a phonecall to doggy

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by dprayvd; 03-15-17 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 05:23 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just wonder if Our Hero has the BALLS to keep POSTING,or if he's really just an outworked TOOL making his FIRST and only post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.