Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

NW Suburbs riders, why do you ride on Algonquin, Roselle, Mecham etc?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 05:04 PM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've been commuting for over 1 year now after a 15 year layoff. I've been adjusting my route to make it as safe as I can. I never rode on the main roads here, looks like suicide. Can someone tell me why they try to hold a lane on roads like Algonquin or Roselle? It's not the first car that hits you, it's the third or fourth car that has a drunk/texting/burrito eating fool switching radio stations that's gonna get ya. IMHO, it's just a matter of time. Nobody here give a lick about cyclists, there's so few they don't even have the energy to hate us.
Old 07-07-09, 10:27 PM
Pokes On Spokes

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. Honestly, Roselle shouldn't be ridden on at all. I do it for about 2 blocks south of Central before hopping off onto the bike path near Commerce. It's not scary except when crossing some 3 lanes of traffic. If it's bad, though, I will turn right on Commerce/Kristen, do a U-turn, then cross at the light.

Algonquin isn't really that busy where I ride (like, the Harper Ride). It's too far west. There's no reason to ride on it near Harper College, though.

I don't ride on Meacham. Tried that once and will never do that again unless it's at 6:30am on a Saturday morning. There are other ways to get around (like the business park) that are safer.

//I live on Meacham and Schaumburg Rd.
Old 07-08-09, 08:01 AM
3 seconds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also avoid the major roads when possible. I cross on roselle when going to woodfield but do it as fast as possible. I do ride on 72 often because it has major shoulders on most of it.
Old 07-08-09, 04:24 PM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only one I haven't ridden on was Algonquin, as there is a bike path for most of it, well at least west of Mecham. I have ridden on Roselle only coming off of Central heading over to my sister's house. Roselle south, or Bloomingdale Rd isn't to bad most of the time. Meacham you almost get away with riding on the extended curb they have there if it weren't for the stupid gutter covers. Those things can swallow a bike. Higgins is nice with the super large shoulder to ride on. Usually though, if I am riding anywhere in that area, or in/around Bloomingdale, I am on my Trek 7.3FX, where riding on the sidewalk is fine by me. I know I am a Fred and all, but riding on the sidewalk on my road bike, clipped in, and wearing spandex, that makes me the ultra Fred, and I try to stay away from that
Old 07-08-09, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only ride on Roselle to get across I90. Otherwise, I use less busy roads. I try to avoid the bike paths along Schaumburg and Mecheam since people tend to pull out/in as you are crossing. I use them to get to side roads. Higgins has a nice shoulder but lots of crap on that shoulder too.
Old 07-08-09, 05:00 PM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJBTrek
I only ride on Roselle to get across I90. Otherwise, I use less busy roads. I try to avoid the bike paths along Schaumburg and Mecheam since people tend to pull out/in as you are crossing. I use them to get to side roads. Higgins has a nice shoulder but lots of crap on that shoulder too.
I think I followed a street sweeper when I rode it because the one thing I instantly though of was that for being a super busy road, it sure as hell has a clean shoulder.
Old 07-08-09, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Part of Higgins I rode was between Mecheam and Roselle. The road itself is a mess and (I believe) scheduled for repair before winter. Lots of broken asphalt on the shoulder. I live close to Schaumburg and Mecheam and tend to ride Weathersfield for training rides. BTW, Mr IGH, do you ride down Weathersfield and/or National Parkway? I see a regular commuter all the time.
Old 07-09-09, 07:16 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ride down Nat Parkway after riding the path over I-90 on Mecham. My bike is a Freded-out orange Schwinn with my backpack in a rear-rack basket, front and rear blinking lights.

There should be a bike lane over I-90 on Roselle. There's no easy way around that route if you're west of Roselle and need to ride to the office parks in Schaumburg. Cars are ripping along trying to get to I-90 and it's nuts for a bike riders.
Old 07-09-09, 08:46 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats the same nasty streatch I try to cross on over 90. Blech!

72 is usually dirty as hell it's kind of like a video game dodging the trash but west of golf it's pretty good road, just often dirty.