Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie Needs Advice On A Road Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-08-09, 02:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm a college students who's interested in purchasing a road bike for commuting and getting around campus. I think I've found a pretty good deal on Craigslist for a Giant OCR road bike. I've done a little research and know that it's a decent entry road bike that retails for about $700. The seller is selling a used one for $300 that fits me since I'm about 5'6''. Here's the link... https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/1258929289.html Is this a good deal? I hear mixed reviews about the quality of the components and comfort of the bike, but I definitely intend to test ride it before purchasing. Is there anything I should refrain from saying when discussing the bike with the seller? Should I ask the seller any questions that will help lower the price? What are the main things I should look for when inspecting the bike? Thanks in advance!

Jon

Last edited by jondao08; 07-08-09 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 07-08-09, 05:43 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get the frame size. That bike looks waaaaay small. @ 5'6" you'll be near a 52cm frame and that doesn't look that big.
Old 07-08-09, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fit is crucial. Take the bike for a test ride and have a good neighborhood bike shop look it over and verify that it is in good condition and is a good size for you. Be careful using Craigslist...many of the bikes are stolen. Some ads on Craigslists have turned out to be "bait" for people who will meet you in an obscure place and rob you...or worse. Have the seller meet you with the bike at a bike shop of your choice so you will be in a safe place.