Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

spare parts build - up

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

spare parts build - up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 04:11 AM
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
spare parts build - up

Hi all,

Now that I'm pretty much done building up my Swift, I've got a bunch of spare parts laying about & I'm thinking of using them to build up a "spare" folder for the Mrs, and the occasional house guest.

What I've got:

Xootr wheelset, handlebars, stem, brake levers, rear derailuer, shifter, saddle, pedals, 8 speed rear cassette, 52T chainring (130 BCD), tyres & tubes, brake pads.

I was wondering if it would make sense to pick up a cheapy folder on ebay, or a used base Dahon and just swap over my relatively better / newer parts.

Would something like a Citizen Miami or the like make sense for something like this, or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

Also, from reading the forums, I've noticed that many Dahons use odd hub spacing. Is this typically for the front only, or is the rear spacing funny too?

The budget for doing this is pretty tight, and I don't want to spend too much time on the conversion.

Should I just not bother, or is this a reasonable idea?
Old 07-08-09, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you're looking for a relatively cheap folder that uses standard stuff... how about a Downtube? If you look around on craigslist, you might be able to pick one up for cheap.

--sam
Old 07-08-09, 02:08 PM
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've thought about downtube, but they are hard to come by second hand here in the UK. I will be back in states for a few weeks in August though... Food for thought anyway.

I'm just wondering if the frames are OK on cheapy folders (like the citizens) and the components are suspect, or if the whole package is best avoided. Weight isn't really an issue for this bike, but it needs to be reasonable reliable without a ton of messing around.

I almost have a complete bike, minus a frame & fork, so what I'm really looking for is least expensive frame option of reasonable quality. The bike's only likely to be used for short weekend rides on MUP's and maybe by me if the Swift is out of commission & I need to use a folder.
Old 07-08-09, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
my guess is that you'll be OK with a cheap frame. Generally speaking the bikes are cheap because of crap components. Sure, the frames aren't super high quality, but I'd be willing to bet that they're good enough for your needs.

Maybe a Mission Space Genie will work for you... I'm sure you can find a used one cheap in the UK.

--sam