Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember a Miele tandem?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-10-09, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just had a bike stolen and need help. I am looking for information about a Miele tandem that would have been built around 1985-1990. Can anyone remember how much it cost? Also, what would be an equivalent make and model to replace it with? The insurance company will want to know. Some users had called the company "the Canadian Colnago". Is that a company to compare prices with?
Old 07-12-09, 08:14 AM
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
There's not a lot of Miele fans out there, or owners for that matter. Not south of the Canadian border anyway.

I own two, a Lupa and a Gara. I'm a huge fan. Beautifully built, very nice ride. If I saw a Miele tandem listed on Craigslist it would get my attention without a doubt.

What are they equal to? It hards for me to say. I think they're equal if not nicer that the early eighties middle to high end Treks which I also own. I don't know tandems well enough to suggest something close but for insurance replacement value the component group would weigh in as well.

I always love an excuse to post picture of my two:

'88 Gara which is awaiting bar tape

'85 Lupa

Maybe some of our Canadian friend will chime in. The Miele market up north is twice as hot as it is in the states. Not sure if any of this helps but I'm sorry to hear you had such a wonderful bike stolen.

Scott
Old 07-12-09, 08:29 AM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I bought my Bridgestone in '92, I was looking at a Miele. The shop in Cleveland was the only Miele dealer in the state, if I recall, and I remember seeing a tandem there. I was surprised, because the rest of the bikes were of a racier style. The road bike I looked at was mid-range Campy equiped, and was around $900, if I recall correctly. Cannondale and Burley tandems of the time started around $1200 and went way up from there. I would assume the Miele tandem Campy equiped would have approached a couple grand at the time.

What it's worth now to an insurance adjuster may be completely different, if all he sees is an old bike. I've heard too many stories in British car circles of people completely restoring Triumph and MGs and finding out after a wreck that their $15k investment only has a book value of a few hundred $$.

Good luck,
Steve
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X