Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Hello! And thanks for the great info!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-04, 11:42 PM

Bikes: EZ-1 SC Recumbent and Trek Navigator 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a little note to say "hello" and thank you people for the great info. Im a casual rider who likes to ride a little every evening to relax and enjoy the night air. Three weeks ago I purchased the EZ-1 Super Cruiser and really like it. Have just spent the last hour here and had my questions answered for now. The other night the neighbor kid asked "What is THAT thing!?" I must say it sure is fun to talk about! People you dont normally talk to will smile and wave. Really is fun for a change!!
Old 06-29-04, 04:25 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is something about a bent. The other day on to the wat to the doctors office by way of a bike path I came across two families cycing together. The last rider was a middle aged mother on an MTB with a small kid in a trailer. As I passed she shouted out "Now that's a nice bike! I like it!" I hollered back "thanks" and waved. The funniest encounter I had was with two kids that were cruising across a parking lot. They were on a BMX, one was sitting up on the handlebars and the other peddaling. They were just about to enter the street as I cruised by. The one kid hit the brakes and nearly dumped the kid on the bars. I could hear them exclaim "Woah! What was that!" Welcome to the world of 'bents.

'bent Brian
Old 06-29-04, 05:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do the "Ape hanger" type handlebars feel? They look a bit uncomfortable vs an underseat type.
Old 06-29-04, 02:27 PM
'Bent Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrEWorm
How do the "Ape hanger" type handlebars feel? They look a bit uncomfortable vs an underseat type.
My bars aren't exactly ape hangars but they are above the seat. So far tey've been pretty comfortable though.

'bent Brian
Old 07-02-04, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
There is something about a bent. The other day on to the wat to the doctors office by way of a bike path I came across two families cycing together. The last rider was a middle aged mother on an MTB with a small kid in a trailer. As I passed she shouted out "Now that's a nice bike! I like it!" I hollered back "thanks" and waved. The funniest encounter I had was with two kids that were cruising across a parking lot. They were on a BMX, one was sitting up on the handlebars and the other peddaling. They were just about to enter the street as I cruised by. The one kid hit the brakes and nearly dumped the kid on the bars. I could hear them exclaim "Woah! What was that!" Welcome to the world of 'bents.

'bent Brian
Thanks for the "welcome." Ill bet that was a funny sight. Last night the neighbor saw the bent for the first time and remarked that I looked like a clown riding a clown bike...I just reminded him of how comfy I was and how many miles I've put on the last 3 days (21, thats really good for me.) and he really didnt know what to say. Also told him it was a really comfy clown bike and invited him to try it. The answer was a hurried "no" and he promptly went into the house.
Old 07-03-04, 09:02 PM
'Bent Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday I had to ride all of the way home from work due to no one being able to pick me up at the ususal meeting point. Distance was just over 15 miles which I covered in an hour. When I arrived home I felt I could have easily ridden much farther. Tonight I did some more "dialing in". Added some more recline to the seat, and adjusted the handlebar position for a better reach. It's getting better.

It's amazing the kinds of responses you get when you invite someone to sit on your bike. Anything from"Wow, this is so cool and confy" to "AAAH no thanks". I think some are intimidated by it. At any rate enjoy your ride. soon you will be wanting more miles. it is kind of addicting. I just like to jump on and ride around the block (my block is 5 miles) even if I don't have a particular destination, just to get my "fix".

'bent Brian
Old 07-03-04, 11:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bnet1
Friday I had to ride all of the way home from work due to no one being able to pick me up at the ususal meeting point. Distance was just over 15 miles which I covered in an hour. When I arrived home I felt I could have easily ridden much farther. Tonight I did some more "dialing in". Added some more recline to the seat, and adjusted the handlebar position for a better reach. It's getting better.

It's amazing the kinds of responses you get when you invite someone to sit on your bike. Anything from"Wow, this is so cool and confy" to "AAAH no thanks". I think some are intimidated by it. At any rate enjoy your ride. soon you will be wanting more miles. it is kind of addicting. I just like to jump on and ride around the block (my block is 5 miles) even if I don't have a particular destination, just to get my "fix".

'bent Brian
Thanks! I will!!!
Old 07-05-04, 12:51 AM
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigmoose
Just a little note to say "hello" and thank you people for the great info. Im a casual rider who likes to ride a little every evening to relax and enjoy the night air. Three weeks ago I purchased the EZ-1 Super Cruiser and really like it. Have just spent the last hour here and had my questions answered for now. The other night the neighbor kid asked "What is THAT thing!?" I must say it sure is fun to talk about! People you dont normally talk to will smile and wave. Really is fun for a change!!
On a bent you will always be the center of attention. It's not the right kind of bike for those that value their solitude.
Old 07-06-04, 04:34 AM
'Bent Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night I was out for a short cruise. Pulling a small hill into the wind. Just spinning along nice and easy. Had a guy come up and slowly pass me on a a DF. He was hammering his guts out, you could see the sweat rolling down his back and hear him huffing. We exchanged a few words and he motioned for me to follow him to his place around the corner. I spun up and grabbed another gear and followed. Turns out he was out for his "physical conditioning" ride. He was interested in the 'bent so I explained all about it the best I could. He mentioned the fact that he gets a sore arse and numb hands, so I explained that usually just doesn't happen on a bent. His wife came over to look at the bike. Both thought it was cool. I guess the "seed" has been planted.

'bent Brian
Old 07-09-04, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrEWorm
The "Ape Hanger" bars really arent that bad. The only thing ive noticed so far is that the more the seat is reclined the lower the bars must go to get the proper reach. Then I run into problems bumping my wrists as Im 6'2''. The knees have to go somewhere...
Old 07-09-04, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentrox!
On a bent you will always be the center of attention. It's not the right kind of bike for those that value their solitude.
Im finding that out!!! Its also a great way to find different routes and see and meet different people. If its too much I have a loop out into the country for the quality "quiet time."