Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

3 Gold Medals - NCNCA State Masters Track Championships

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 10:09 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts

Last weekend, my wife and I competed in the NCNCA State Masters Track Championships hosted each year at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA and sanctioned by USA cycling and governed by UCI regulations. Since California is so large, the State Championships area broken down by districts such that we compete in the Northern California / Nevada District. Southern / Lower Central California has its own District. As such, there is not an overall California State Championship.

At the Championships, there are numerous races from which to select including the Match Sprints, 500 meter time trial, 1000 meter time trial (Kilo), 2K pursuit, 3K pursuit, Points Race, Team Sprints and Team Pursuit. The races are organized by age group starting with 30 – 34, 35 – 39, 40 – 44, 45 - 49, 50 – 54, 55 – 59 , 60 – 64, 65 – 69 and 70+. This year’s attendance appeared to be down and we typically had only a couple of participants in each category. That does not mean that it is easy to win. There is just limited but very good competition. The typical day for most participants was to show up the morning and spend the entire day.

Results:

Hermes: Gold Medals in 2K and 3K Team Pursuit

Individual Pursuit 2K
60-65
1st of 2
Time: 2:56:27

Individual 500 M Time Trial
60-65
3rd of 4
Time: 42.4

Team Pursuit 3K
60+
1st of 2
4:15:XX (Estimate) Not a great team pursuit time but my teammates had been racing all day and just finished a tough 42 lap points race.

Velodiva: Gold Medal 2K Pursuit

2K Pursuit
W55-59
1st of 2

500 M TT
W55-59
2nd of 2

This was our first time participating in the NCNCA Masters State Track Championships since we started track racing last September. We had a great time racing and socializing. The race director and the volunteers did a superb job of organizing and running the event.

Hermes report: I had been practicing 2K pursuits at the track and simulated pursuits on the rollers. At Beat the Clock last week, I did a 2:51.6 with which I was very happy leading into the this even. My time was slower on Saturday but fast enough to win. One thing that was very different on Saturday from BtC was the wind. I started on the home stretch. When I came out of turn one, I hit the wind. When I prepared to sit down, my cadence / speed were too low (from previous practice races). Being mindful of not overcooking the first couple of laps, I held the speed and backed off a little on the second lap. I accelerated on laps 4, 5 and 6 with lap 6 being my fastest lap. I felt too good at the end.

On Sunday, I did the 500 meter TT. I have been working on my sprinting but I am not a sprinter per se. However, I do like doing the 500. This year, I did the 500 in the sprint bars versus the pursuit TT bars. I like the start much better using the sprint bars and I have much better control in the turns being able to ride the black line.

While my teammates in the team pursuit were racing in the points races and team sprints, I was hanging out under the tents having a nice afternoon socializing, watching the races and psyching up for the team pursuit. We are very fortunate to have several accomplished 60+ track racers in our club which includes a 3 time and current World Champion and two multiple time and current National Champions. It was a pleasure to ride team pursuit with these guys. We did not practice together previously but the start went perfectly as well as the race. The nine laps seemed to go fast and it was a blast.

Velodivas Report: 2K pursuit (3:06.0)

Only one other competitor in my age group who had a competitive 2K at BTC. I felt good and was able to accelerate on the last laps. I actually felt I could have pushed harder. Everyone kept saying that it was very close (and one report that she just beat me) so I was ready to accept defeat. To say the least, I was thrilled when I learned I beat her by 0.2 seconds. Still 7 seconds off of last year's time, but I am convinced that in a couple more weeks I will be back in form.

500 M
We don't even need to discuss this. My dismal time was the same as last year ˆ I swear I have one fast twitch fiber in each leg. Can't get the acceleration at the start and the very beginning, but then I take off when others fade ˆ doesn't work in the 500 M. That said, it was still fun.

Here are some pics...

The most interesting are the team puruit.

The start. The important thing is to get in position after the start and not gap so that you have to catch up.

I am in the lead after the exchange. We were probably going 27 mph here so the important thing is not to accelerate to assure no gaps and allow the rider to get on the back. Not so easy as the speed increases.

Podium 3K team pursuit. We all know each other and it was great to race together.

Velodiva on the podium for 2K individual pursuit.

Hermes right after the start of the 500. I am standing and the goal is max power but ride the black line in the turn – minimum distance around the track.

Hermes on the Podium 2K Individual Pursuit.
Old 07-14-09, 11:25 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That is just fantastic Hermes and Velodiva!! It must be fun and challenging doing something different like that. That fellow in the blue skin suit on the podium with us looks to be one tall dude, too! I bet he is 6' 5"-6"??

We have our State TT's in a couple weeks. It's an out and back road course that is a 32k. I've been toying with signing up but it comes the end of a week I'm on vacation and I'm not sure I'll be in any kind of shape to ride......
Old 07-14-09, 12:30 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

congratulations! Great report and pictures too!
Old 07-14-09, 02:53 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding!!
Old 07-14-09, 03:42 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations on both having the dedication and discipline to train for such a demanding sport, and for your successes at the track.
Old 07-14-09, 06:23 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go!!! Hard work brings rewards and, best of all, great memories. You two should be really proud.
Old 07-14-09, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braggart! By the way congratulations on the metals.
Old 07-14-09, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Good going guys
Old 07-14-09, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Outstanding results. I have enjoyed your advice on training; I know how hard you have worked to get there. Congratulations.
Old 07-14-09, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love getting your reports and seeing the pictures. Congrats!
Old 07-14-09, 09:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Good job, both of you! Happy to hear this good stuff.
Old 07-14-09, 10:43 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Inspiring, Thanks for the report,

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-15-09, 06:40 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hermes,

Now that you are a Cal. Champ do you get any stripes for your shirt sleeves? I see that two of your team mates have stripes on their shirt sleeves.
Old 07-15-09, 07:49 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Hermes,

Now that you are a Cal. Champ do you get any stripes for your shirt sleeves? I see that two of your team mates have stripes on their shirt sleeves.
Good observation...but no. You have to be National or World to get stripes - the first guy in the start pic is National and the second guy is World. I got a special pair of socks at the event. And I get to order a California State Champion kit i.e. skin suit, jersey, bibs, vest and etc.
Old 07-15-09, 10:12 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Big congrats, you two !!!

wish we had a track which was closer than Encino...
Old 07-15-09, 10:34 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats, y'all! Great job!
Old 07-15-09, 11:12 AM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nicely done! Fewer competitors doesn't make you work any less hard.

Oh, man, I need to find some TTs around here...
Old 07-15-09, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Congrats Hermes and Velodiva!
The SCNCA Masters Track was held June 13/14 at the ADT Center. I went up on Sun to watch and support teammates. Everyone was asking me where was my track bike? Next year!
Old 07-15-09, 04:54 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by jppe
That is just fantastic Hermes and Velodiva!! It must be fun and challenging doing something different like that. That fellow in the blue skin suit on the podium with us looks to be one tall dude, too! I bet he is 6' 5"-6"??

We have our State TT's in a couple weeks. It's an out and back road course that is a 32k. I've been toying with signing up but it comes the end of a week I'm on vacation and I'm not sure I'll be in any kind of shape to ride......
Thanks. I think you would do very well in the state TT.

Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Outstanding results. I have enjoyed your advice on training; I know how hard you have worked to get there. Congratulations.
Thanks. I try to give conservative training advice.

Originally Posted by tony2v
Congrats Hermes and Velodiva!
The SCNCA Masters Track was held June 13/14 at the ADT Center. I went up on Sun to watch and support teammates. Everyone was asking me where was my track bike? Next year!
We have not been to ADT yet. We are hoping to get there this year. If you race in the "B"s, I am pretty sure you are ready to compete at SCNCA Masters. You could do all the events. I started racing last year and I wanted to be more selective this year and focus and peak for a couple of events. Next year, I will have better overall track fitness.
Old 07-15-09, 04:58 PM
Version 7.0

Thanks to all for the kudos. We are looking forward to some road riding and getting back to road TTs.