Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just finished building my bike rack (PICS)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

For the last several months I've been having a hard time finding a place to keep all my bikes. Right now there are 9 (nothing compared to some of you), and they have been splitting time between the garage and the living room. I wanted to hang them from the ceiling in the garage but didn't like the idea of having hooks in a fixed position, so I made this instead.

It allows the bikes to move front to back and side to side so I can make adjustments for wheelbase. I can sqeeze them in close together when just being stored or spread them out to make it easy to get a particular one down.

I need to make more hooks before I can get the other bikes up there, but so far it's much better than before.

Old 07-15-09, 06:27 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice job with readily available materials. I like the rollers so the bikes can be slid together or apart for easier removal
Old 07-15-09, 06:42 AM

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That is so cool!!

I'm assuming that you used lengths of conduit to hang the bikes from. How did you attach the garage door wheels to the conduit? Did you insert a threaded plug into the conduit that would accept a bolt?
Old 07-15-09, 06:47 AM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Nice job. Looks like you'v e come up with a home version of the Easy Glider rack system (not sure if I've got the name right). Gives me more ideas for my garage situation.

Please share your build details, thanks.
Old 07-15-09, 06:52 AM
Rubber side down

Bikes: Kogswell G, Fuji Del Rey, Pinarello Treviso

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is totally awesome... Good work!
Old 07-15-09, 06:59 AM
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Very clever! Nice job!
Old 07-15-09, 07:34 AM
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's awesome! Makes my small bike rack look like it was stolen out of a park... Which I'm starting to suspect...
Old 07-15-09, 08:03 AM
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VERY nice. I like the roller idea. At first, was thinking "Big deal, why share".... now I'm thinking, "THANKS, I now have a reason to buy more bikes "
Old 07-15-09, 08:14 AM

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but my inspiration was the VeloGlide, which does the same thing but for a lot more money.

The rails are from a garage door removal that I got for free. They're the ones that go up the wall (as opposed to on the ceiling) and I had to drill out a couple of existing brackets to get them off. They were too far apart and hung the rails lower from the ceiling than I wanted. the goal is to be able to pull in the car and have the bikes hang high enough that there's enough clearance for them over the hood.

I used 3' sections of slotted angle iron to attach the rails to the rafters. They were about $7 each...probably could have done it cheaper but I gave up and just bought them at Lowe's.

The rollers are garage door rollers from ebay, which were $23 for 20 of them. They have a 4" stem that just slides into the bars. No attachement point necessary.

The bars are sections of .5" conduit. I bought 5 pieces of the 10' length for ~$1.75 each and cut them down to 50" each.

The hardest part were the hooks. I couldn't find S hooks big enough to save my life, online or anywhere else. Now that I spent some much time on them, I'm sure someone will tell me where I can get exactly what I need for super cheap. For them I bought a couple 7' pieces of .25" aluminum strap and a couple pieces of PVC to use as a guide. The aluminum was about $7 each piece and the PVC was less than a dollar for both.

I used some flat plastic tubing to go over the hooks. It fits perfectly and cost about $3.

All in all, it wasn't that expensive, it's very versatile, and it's a big improvement.
Old 07-15-09, 08:49 AM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
this deserves a "How-To" video or slide show. The next guy who copies it should document all the steps of fabrication...Bravo!
Old 07-15-09, 09:01 AM

Bikes: '84 Schwinn le tour luxe, unknown Vesta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
excellent...i may steal this!
Old 07-15-09, 09:15 AM
don't be so angry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LRMike
excellent...i may steal this IDEA!
fixed, so you don't wanna make the OP buy a new garage door lock
Old 07-15-09, 09:35 AM
can't member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This is pretty brilliant! I love it!
Old 07-15-09, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have to heft them up there.

I've been using the "block and tackle" type bike hoists and have been VERY happy with them. They are easy to attach and easier to hoist the bike. Lowered almost to the floor, they also make a decent, impromptu bike work stand.
Old 07-15-09, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
You have to heft them up there.

I've been using the "block and tackle" type bike hoists and have been VERY happy with them. They are easy to attach and easier to hoist the bike. Lowered almost to the floor, they also make a decent, impromptu bike work stand.
True, you do have to actually lift the bike up there, but that's not a problem for me, especially since you can do one wheel at a time. I know back, neck, etc. problems could make it a pain (no pun intended), but I luckily don't have issues with anything like that.

I considered the bike hoists too, but they didn't accomplish what I was looking for. They were more expensive...not a lot, but still more expensive to get 10 of them (I've got 9 bars on it right now with one more not up there). The bigger issue was being able to compact the bikes into a small space. My rafters are 24" apart and I don't think I could have fit the bikes together as closely with the hoists.
Old 07-15-09, 10:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very smart

Now where can I find the space to build a garage to put one in?
Old 07-15-09, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brockd15
True, you do have to actually lift the bike up there, but that's not a problem for me, especially since you can do one wheel at a time. I know back, neck, etc. problems could make it a pain (no pun intended), but I luckily don't have issues with anything like that.

I considered the bike hoists too, but they didn't accomplish what I was looking for. They were more expensive...not a lot, but still more expensive to get 10 of them (I've got 9 bars on it right now with one more not up there). The bigger issue was being able to compact the bikes into a small space. My rafters are 24" apart and I don't think I could have fit the bikes together as closely with the hoists.
You should close your discussion of the absence of back and neck problems with the word, "yet".

My garage also has 24" rafter spacing. The solution is to mount a board (or metal bar) which spans the bottoms of the rafters, not unlike the L-shaped bracket you have as your base. Hoist spacing is up to you. The hoists are more narrow than the bikes.

Nonetheless, I like your solution, too.
Old 07-16-09, 02:03 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
You'd think the bikes would get headaches hanging like that...
Old 07-16-09, 02:12 PM

I made some more hooks last night and how have 8 hanging up there. Earlier I said I now have 9 bikes, but this morning I realized it's actually 11.

I'm not sure how those other two slipped by me.
Old 07-16-09, 03:00 PM
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How do you keep the bikes from colliding when you slide them around next to each other?
Old 07-16-09, 03:01 PM
don't be so angry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it happens. bikes appear and disappear in my basement/garage/living room all the time!
Old 07-16-09, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by PDXaero
How do you keep the bikes from colliding when you slide them around next to each other?
They don't move uneless I make them move, so I can give one a little push to move the bar a little at a time and not have it go too far and hit the bike next to it.

I'm not sure that's a good explanation, but they just don't tend to run into each other.
Old 07-16-09, 08:01 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Submit it to Popular Science home projects.
Old 07-16-09, 10:17 PM

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or make a modified version of Brock's roller rack with a hoist hanger attached to each one. Then they are easy to lift, and then slide out of the way.

I was thinking that this would be good in my garage. I could lift them in the open area, and then slide them out of where we walk over above the MG. Then I remembered that the garage door has to go up... The front of my garage has three sets of fluorescent lights, my cord reel, and an air hose reel hanging from the ceiling, as well as the swing down attic door. Not enough room to hang the four bikes.

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
You should close your discussion of the absence of back and neck problems with the word, "yet".

My garage also has 24" rafter spacing. The solution is to mount a board (or metal bar) which spans the bottoms of the rafters, not unlike the L-shaped bracket you have as your base. Hoist spacing is up to you. The hoists are more narrow than the bikes.

Nonetheless, I like your solution, too.
Xtracycle conversion on 1997 KHS Summit X
Old 07-16-09, 10:41 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I like it. Sort of like an upside down vertical file for bikes.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.