Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Annual Ride - Off to Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 07:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Wife and I are headed to Glenwood Springs today - will try and check out some things for the 50+ First annual ride.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/488051-bfn-50-first-annual-ride-monday-august-31-a.html

We will do some bicycle riding on the Glenwood <> Aspen trail. We are actually staying in Carbondale, 10 miles up the road to Aspen.

Then we are headed to Grand Junction where, on Sunday, my gospel singing group will be providing an entire service for the Redlands United Methodist Church at 9:00 am.

https://ourwebs.info/indexxyz.htm

Anyone in the GJ area - come and say hi!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-17-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 05:07 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be sure to stop for something at The Woody Creek Tavern
Old 07-17-09, 05:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
OK, I went by the Caravan Motel. It is quite pleasant. Nice pool. MOre of an old-fashioned drive-up motel, which really suits folks with bicycles better. It is two story, without an elevator, so you might want a first-floor room. It is pretty big, so it can easily handle our group.

I asked to see a room. The room I saw had 2 queens, and looked clean and comfortable.

I took some pics, but I forget to bring my pic adapter for mycomputer, so you will have to wait until next week

The bicycle path to Aspen has an access point just two tenths of a mile west on CO 82. I wouldn't ride on 82, but the sidewalk is adequate to get to the path. Once you get on the path, it will take about a mile west to get out of the housing areas of GWS. AFter that, the trail follows the valley, sometimes closer to the road, sometimes further away. After you get out of GWS, there are only a few cross streets.

There is a hot breakfast at the motel - there is a small breakfast room.

There is a restaurant across the parking lot of the motel - it is connected, but is sub-leased. It is called Tatrys, and I will scan their menu, once I get home.

I am staying in Carbondale, the first town 10 miles west of GWS. From here, the trail goes through the edge of the town, and then leaves the highway following the river. This is the prettiest part, and if you ae not going to do the whole ride, I would recommend driving to Carbondale and riding to Basalt.

The motel I am in is right on the river, and the path is across the driveway to the motel - Comfort Inn. There is also a Days Inn.

It sis 94 today, very dry - typical CO summer. Actually, GWS is lower than my home in Parker.