Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

The Best Shape of My Life

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nope...I'm not in it. I didn't start this thread to brag about my rock-hard abs or my ability to climb 30,000 feet quicker than a 747.

I plan to be in the best shape of my life between 50-60 years old. I rode with a dude today that is every bit as fast as me...yet he was 69 years old, man. That's in-flipping-credible!! When my kids are old enough to go to college or get married and we have an empty nest...I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

Anyone there...or been there?
Old 07-18-09, 03:36 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can't say I'm in the best shape now. I was probably physically at my prime at 45. I was running low-6-minute miles in 10K races and I weighed 10-15 lbs less.

But, as far as downhill racing is concerned, I know I have a higher skill-level than I did even 5 years ago and I know that I am faster and can pedal harder, longer than I used to be able to. My goal is to be faster at age 60 than I am today (at 54).
Old 07-18-09, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, once I hit 40 I lost alot of recovery ability. Still in better shape than most kids 20 years younger than me, but I was better five years ago for sure.
Old 07-18-09, 06:28 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple years ago I did a lot of riding with a guy we called "Pappy Chedder". He was from Wisconson(get it) 60,and one of the most fit people i have ever met. He would kill roadies on his mountain bike.He rode every day, and most weekends he did about 150 to 200 miles. He would ride to the trailhead do tons of trail iles and then ride home.......what a beast.
Old 07-18-09, 07:37 PM
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best shape of your life for bike riding? the reason the 69 YO is tough, his kids are grown, he's retired, and all he does is ride. Be Comfortable with your abilities and yourself. FCS it's supposed to be fun right?
Old 07-18-09, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Surly - LHT, Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 25 lbs over what I was when I was in my 30's, now in my 40's I am please to say that I am getting in better shape, and losing weight. Did a ride the other day with four other guys all but one was in his 40's. The one that was not in his forty's was still in high school he must have been 15-16, did not ask. To say the least we schooled this kid in how to ride and ride hard, it felt good to know that I still have it when it comes to getting older in life [major ego boost I must say].

I figure if I keep at it, things can only get better from here on out, providing I don't get some sort of incurable ailment.
Old 07-18-09, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Best shape of your life for bike riding? the reason the 69 YO is tough, his kids are grown, he's retired, and all he does is ride. Be Comfortable with your abilities and yourself. FCS it's supposed to be fun right?
I'm not saying that I'm riding to get fit. I love to ride and getting fit is a byproduct. The more fit I am, the more fun I have on the trail though.

I will say though...you're on the way to being just like this dude. You've got several years on me and I'd hate to have to "push it" on a 3hr ride with you and expect to keep up. Heck man...even your wife has more "all day endurance" than this sprout.
Old 07-18-09, 09:07 PM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Face-Plant
The one that was not in his forty's was still in high school he must have been 15-16, did not ask. To say the least we schooled this kid in how to ride and ride hard, it felt good to know that I still have it when it comes to getting older in life [major ego boost I must say].....
That's no big deal. I live with one of those 16 yr old punks.
Old 07-18-09, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
I can relate, being one and having a twin brother
Old 07-19-09, 12:07 AM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
Nope...I'm not in it. I didn't start this thread to brag about my rock-hard abs or my ability to climb 30,000 feet quicker than a 747.

I plan to be in the best shape of my life between 50-60 years old. I rode with a dude today that is every bit as fast as me...yet he was 69 years old, man. That's in-flipping-credible!! When my kids are old enough to go to college or get married and we have an empty nest...I plan to be in the best shape of my life.

Anyone there...or been there?
I see two guys on my local trails all the time. The oldest is 75 years old and the other is about 60 years old. The reason I only see them is that the only time I can catch up to them is when the 60 year old guy stops to take a cigarette break. I am not kidding
Old 07-19-09, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Lincoln
The reason I only see them is that the only time I can catch up to them is when the 60 year old guy stops to take a cigarette break. I am not kidding

I am always amazed at how some people can smoke and still ride hard like it's nothing to them to be smoking.
Old 07-19-09, 07:39 AM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbiker33
I can relate, being one and having a twin brother
No you can't you are one. Just wait another 25 years.......
Old 07-19-09, 12:38 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
I loved it when our valley was full of them. The was always someone who wanted to go for a ride. Sadly, they are all grown and gone now; I'm the only kid left. I have to borrow teenagers from the bike shop now.
Old 07-19-09, 06:03 PM
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
I loved it when our valley was full of them. The was always someone who wanted to go for a ride. Sadly, they are all grown and gone now; I'm the only kid left. I have to borrow teenagers from the bike shop now.
OMG This reminds me of when I was 14 in a small rural burg of 450 population. There were a few beagles in town that ... well in those days it wasn't unusual for dog to run free when they were let out, especially in a rural setting such as this was. Anyway...... I got bored one winter day (lot's of snow cover) so I thought heck I'll walk outta town to a few brush piles that i know of and shoot some rabbits. On my way outta town i befriended one of these beagles, he follows me and after i I shoot my first rabbit over him, his inborn instict comes out and he starts to root into the brush pile and begins to run a few rabbits out.
Needless to say my next trip outta town I made a point to get all the beagles I could. Kinda like a misguided pied piper. It was a lot of fun for mid teen with not much else to do.
Old 07-19-09, 06:34 PM
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Yeah,the Girlscout is going out to run shuttles with a couple of buddies tomorrow. I think it's the first time he's gone out riding with friends and without me. My how things change.
Old 07-20-09, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like I am the youngster here at 38. Until a month ago, I was in the best shape I've been in for a very long time. (I moved from Los Angeles and headed East a month ago. Riding and eating has been all messed up while I'm moving around). When I was in the Army, I was in great shape -- running, riding, and everything else Soldiers do to have fun.

I did my first MTB race last weekend and had myself handed to me. Learned lots. Am working on a rough workout plan to get me to some goals. Having specific, quantifiable goals is the hard part right now.

Alas, I'm still in better shape than most people. Should I be happy or sad?
Old 07-20-09, 11:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am always amazed at how some people can smoke and still ride hard like it's nothing to them to be smoking.
One of the guys in my riding group just turned 55, smokes like a chimney, wins time trials and other races all the time. It is unfrickin believable. 10 years ago I was a 3 pack a day min smoker. Quit at the age of 32, have never looked back. I was at prime shape in my early teens, when I raced semi pro BMX then again in my late teens early 20's as a body builder. After that I went to crap, untill the last few years. Plan on Age 40 to be in my most prime.

Good threads by the way Chelboed.
Old 07-21-09, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm there at 55, pretty much have the same running and cycling capabilities I had in high school...but I've had it easy since I never went the conventional life route with marriage & kids. I really respect the people that did all that and worked their way back into shape later in life like some of you have. Not many of my married friends have been able to do that.

Last edited by rnorris; 07-21-09 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'll catch up eventually...no matter how good of shape you're in if you smoke a lot all the fricken excersize in the world isn't going to keep your lungs clean. They might be able to bike a ton or run a ton but will still likely croak early.
Old 07-21-09, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cardio wise this the best shape I've ever been in but the looks wise this one of the worst times
I've been a competitor Bodybuilder all my life(never did become a pro) but nonetheless I competed in about 20 shows and I had the kind of physique that you see in magazines but two years a go I decided to retire from competing so now I am a regular looking dude now. but I am not complaining I am over dieting for a show.
Old 07-21-09, 06:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zooropa
It'll catch up eventually...no matter how good of shape you're in if you smoke a lot all the fricken excersize in the world isn't going to keep your lungs clean. They might be able to bike a ton or run a ton but will still likely croak early.

True that...