Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Short daily commute (8km), preparing for 100km race

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My commute is twice 4.2 km, on flat road, in an urban area. Last summer, I went for a longer ride with a friend, and I was surprised to be able to do 100km at a good speed. I was exhausted, and I slept well.

I have continued my 8.4km daily commute, even throughout winter. Every week I'm going downtown and do a little more distance (10 km more), and my legs feel the extra training. I'm pushing it just a little bit more.

In exaclty two months, I'm participating in a 100km race on hilly terrain. I have started doing an extra 20km training every week, and I find my legs are doing very well, even at climbing. My breathing, however, is what's keeping me at lower speed.

What should I do to get in shape for a 100km race? Does it matter if I can't push too much in climbing, knowing that my main asset might be endurance?