Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best wishes to Jens Voigt

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 08:38 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Jens took a hard fall on the final descent of yesterday's Tour de France stage. He hit the pavement at about 50mph, breaking a cheek bone and getting a concussion. He seems to be OK. Hard to hurt someone as tough as Jens. https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voig...horrific-crash

Jens has always been one of my favorite pro bike racers, and the only one with whom I've drank a few beers. A couple of days after watching him edge out Lance Armstrong in a slugfest up Brasstown Bald in the 2004 Tour de Georgia, I attended an after-race party for the race staff and teams (I was a course marshal for the race that year). Jens and I found a lonely barrel of iced Heinekens and chatted our way through 3 beers each. He is a very friendly and likable person in contrast to his soul crushing performances on a bike. Ever since, during any pro race I watch, my wife always asks how my beer drinking buddy is doing.

Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery.
Old 07-22-09, 08:49 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed BluesDawg,

It was painful to watch his crash on T.V. and it wasn't really clear what caused it. Seemed like he was "Just Riding Along" and the bike went out from under him. And not only was his crash painful to watch the first time . . . they kept re-playing it.

Ouch!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-22-09, 10:15 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
There's some slo-mo video at Bike Hugger, and some in-depth analysis by the blog author (who also happens to be the wrench at my LBS):

https://bikehugger.com/2009/07/voigt-crash-analysis.html

Conclusion seems to be that he was shifting his hand position on the bars just as the bike hit an imperfection in the road.
Old 07-22-09, 06:10 PM
barkin' at the moon

Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a hard hit! Looked like he just laid there after he slid to a stop.Was he unconcious?
Old 07-22-09, 06:21 PM
barkin' at the moon

Bikes: bianchi MTB,several old schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read the article;Briefly unconcious.Hope he recovers quickly.
Old 07-23-09, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
That was a nasty crash, I had one like it, but much much slower. Eating pavement is not fun.
Hope he's back on the bike soon.