Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike buying question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike buying question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike buying question

I'm trying to decide between two used road bikes:
1. 1977 Raleigh Grand Prix (Serial Number WD7000035).

2. ~2007 GMC Yukon XL Road.

I found both of these through Craigslist, both selling at $150. I went and test-road each one day, and- at first glance- both seem to ride equally well. Both bikes are in good condition...the Raleigh has been very well maintained, and the GMC Yukon as barely been rode at all.

I'm looking for a durable, reliable road bike that will last me 10+ years and not require much upkeep beyond the basic maintenance. I'm not into any competitive racing (or extremely long rides), just something that will get me to and from campus. I live in a quite hilly area, about 2-3 miles away from campus.

I know the basics of bikes, but not much beyond that. I'm pretty inexperience when it comes to tweeking and adjusting bikes as well.

I have to decide which bike to go with very soon. Any opinions you could offer would be great!
Old 07-22-09, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some info about each bike:
1. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...rand-prix.html

2. https://www.amazon.com/GMC-Yukon-Road...7984846&sr=8-2

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-22-09, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you found one bike on Sheldon Brown's page, the other on Amazon. That should be clue #1.

Secondly, I wouldn't buy a bike with an auto manufacturer name stuck on it. Whether it be Hummer, Jeep, GMC, etc. I am sure there may be exceptions to this rule, but this probably isn't one of them.
Old 07-23-09, 06:13 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ab213
I'm looking for a durable, reliable road bike that will last me 10+ years and not require much upkeep beyond the basic maintenance.
The GMC is a piece of crap!!
The Raleigh is a much better bike but is older. With proper care and replacing worn out components as needed it may last 10 years.
Sounds like you should keep looking.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 07-23-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 06:33 AM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
The GMC is a piece of crap!!
The Raleigh is a much better bike but is older. With proper care and replacing worn out components as needed it may last 10 years.
I agree with Ron. The GMC is nothing you want to put money into. The Raleigh could go either way.
Old 07-23-09, 12:23 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on avoiding the GMC. In the $150 range, you should be able to find a decent road bike that's newer and a little lighter than the Raleigh. Or at least a model higher up in the Raleigh line for that time period.