Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shop sold me Allez with the "wrong" seat and other issues.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 12:35 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 / S-Works Crux / BMC Kaius 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a speciallized allez sport C2 in white. The bike came with the black saddle found on the lower end models (for lack of better term). Should I go back and ask them for an exchange?

Also, after some ridding, the shifters that for the front derileiur doesnt seem to change gears all the time and ticks very loud. These are Shimano 105.

Lastly, I fipped the bike on its back so inspect it and I noticed both the front and rear wheel are not 100% true....

The white handle foam needed a little bit of cleaning, from being tried out I guess..

I know these are little things but gosh I am really starting to dislike the shop I bought it from.... I fee like the took advantage of a new comer, what should I do?
Old 07-23-09, 01:03 AM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'd watch the beginning of the film: National Lampoon's Vacation where Chevy Chase goes to pick up the new car of his dreams...

Then I'd return the bike - demanding your money back/credit-card credited. I wouldn't want these guys standing behind their warranty. Ha!!
Old 07-23-09, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Profoxcg
I bought a speciallized allez sport C2 in white. The bike came with the black saddle found on the lower end models (for lack of better term). Should I go back and ask them for an exchange?
If the saddle fits your butt - keep it and stop obsessing about whether it's a high-end or low-end model. Your sit bones couldn't care less about bling value.

Also, after some riding, the shifters that for the front derileiur doesnt seem to change gears all the time and ticks very loud.
Shifting a bike isn't like flipping a light switch, sometimes you need to overshift a little bit to get the new gear to engage correctly.
Concerned about the shifter clicking? That's a new one. Basically all shifters that aren't friction shifters will have a click to them. You're going from one predefined position to another, and the way to do that mechanically is to have something engages and disengages at set intervals.

There might still be something odd with your shifter, but I'd start with shifting technique.

Lastly, I fipped the bike on its back so inspect it and I noticed both the front and rear wheel are not 100% true....
A wheel doesn't have to be 100% true, whatever you mean with that. You're riding on a surface that's less than perfect anyhow. I like to keep mine within +/- 1 mm, but it has to be quite a bit more before it actually starts to affect riding and/or braking.

Or maybe you were looking at the tire? They too can squirm around a bit. If it's bad you deflate, jiggle it around and inflate again. If it's remains annoying, make a note of the model and get another one next time.

...The white handle foam needed a little bit of cleaning, from being tried out I guess..
So you've got a bike that looks like it's being ridden, what's the problem?

..I am really starting to dislike the shop I bought it from....
Why? Was the bike overpriced? Have they refused to help you with a valid request? Have they treated you badly?

... I feel like they took advantage of a new comer, what should I do?
Well, a bike that's been sitting on the shop floor for some time may get a bit shop worn, particularly if it's seen a lot of test rides. A really attentive salesman in a good shop will spot this and throw in something like a saddle bag, a pair of spare tubes or whatever to sweeten the deal. Or maybe the bike is already priced accordingly in which case you're on your own.

Otherwise you have two options:
1) do nothing, and let your irritation fester
2) talk to the shop, in a nice way. Tell them you couldn't help noticing your bike has another saddle than in the brochures, ask if you're shifting right.
Don't bother about about the grips, by now there's no way of differentiating between the muck that you've put on the bike and the muck it had accumulated before you bought it.
For the wheels it really depends on how much out of true they are. If the rims flop the thickness of a credit card to either side, don't worry about it.
If it's more - tell them. If you bought the bike new you often get a free tune-up, so (if needed) you should be able to get the wheels sorted then.
Old 07-23-09, 03:05 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
We didn't sell you this bike, you know that right. Bring your concerns up to them. If you still don't like them find another shop and return your current bike.
Old 07-23-09, 05:27 AM

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who, in their right mind, buys a bike with WHITE handlebar tape anyway?
Old 07-23-09, 06:39 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exRunner
Hey, I did! That said, I knew it wouldn't last

As to the OP, it's quite possible that it came from the factory that way. I bought one that had mismatched rims. Take it back to the LBS and ask. Mine was made good with no issue. Don't know how the LBS is until you ask. Stuff happens.

-R
Old 07-23-09, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Take it back to the LBS and ask. Mine was made good with no issue. Don't know how the LBS is until you ask. Stuff happens.

-R
Take it from one who often times gets on the super defensive/offensive before getting into ask the shop (car, bike, etc.). It doesn't hurt to ask but as mentioned above these aren't really deal breaker things for most people and in most cases it'd have been pertinent to bring it up before you bought the bike.

I have white handlebar tape. I've only put about 40 miles on my bike since I changed the tape to white and it already shows signs of use. Even if you got it when it was pristine and new, it'd show signs of use right away.

And as mentioned above, if the saddle is comfortable, keep it. Lots of people go through many saddles before they find one that fits them well. I know I've gone through at least three, and the one that fit me was not the one that came stock on the bike, and in fact wasn't even a "high end" saddle. Sometimes that's how it plays out.

EDIT: Summary - it doesn't hurt to ask but don't go in upset and ready to explode. I can pretty much guarantee that won't get anything done.
Old 07-23-09, 08:14 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the shifter doesn't click, then it will NOT work. Take the bike back and take up another sport and leave us alone.
Old 07-23-09, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell them to change the saddle, get your free tune-up (two words 4 u cable+stretch) and for god sakes dont mention the dirty white bar tape, here or there, again.
Old 07-23-09, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the encouragement haha
Old 07-23-09, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
If the shifter doesn't click, then it will NOT work. Take the bike back and take up another sport and leave us alone.
nice.. =)

Originally Posted by Swiftly
Tell them to change the saddle, get your free tune-up (two words 4 u cable+stretch) and for god sakes dont mention the dirty white bar tape, here or there, again.
I know i am turning into a fred.. I am going to change the white tape to back. My concern was that maybe I bought a bike that was used and returned and maybe dropped and what not.

Originally Posted by CCrew
Hey, I did! That said, I knew it wouldn't last

As to the OP, it's quite possible that it came from the factory that way. I bought one that had mismatched rims. Take it back to the LBS and ask. Mine was made good with no issue. Don't know how the LBS is until you ask. Stuff happens.

The lbs was pretty nice about a previous issue, on of the shimano 105 brakes lever covers was badly scratched and they replaced it, however the is the lever that is giving me a hard time shifting.

-R
I know, I was thinking the same... or a white saddle. It only looks nice when its clean.
Old 07-23-09, 09:38 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me
Old 07-23-09, 10:09 AM
Hello :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my bike has a white saddle AND white tape
Old 07-23-09, 10:13 AM

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My bike came with black bar tape. It got switched to white tape IMMEDIATELY! I only run white tape, sorry. When it gets dirty, I rewrap it with new tape. Probably do this about once a month or so.
Old 07-23-09, 10:16 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kidonabike
my bike has a white saddle AND white tape
I'm a simple guy; my two main road bikes, one is all black with a black seat and black tape, the other is all white with a white seat and white tape
Old 07-23-09, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The saddle issue might not be a big deal, but the bike shop should address it. Ask them why the saddle they sold you isn't the one specified on Specialized's website. Maybe there's some variation between saddles on the same model and this is normal (?) Maybe the bike tipped over and the saddle got scuffed so they swapped it out. Maybe one of the guys in the shop wanted the original saddle so he swapped it, thinking the customer wouldn't notice or care.

I don't know what your shifting issue is, but cables stretch, especially when they're new. If you don't know how to adjust your shifters yourself, take the bike back to where you bought it. They should be willing to sped a few minutes getting things adjusted properly if they sold you the bike.

The wheel true is a similar issue. If I spend a bunch of money on a bike, I want the wheels perfectly true. The bike shop should be willing to do this. It doesn't take long and doesn't cost them anything except time. Wheels can go out of true after awhile when they're new. When I had a guy build a wheel for me, he got it as true as possible, told me to ride if for a few weeks, then bring it back and he'd true it again. I did, and after he trued and tensioned it the second time it stayed true for a year.

If your bike shop is willing to adjust your shifters and true your wheels with a smile and a cooperative attitude, great. If not, find another shop. Tell them about the saddle and see what they way.

When it comes to saddles, I've spent a lot of time and money trying to find a saddle that's comfortable for me. The odds of getting it right the first time with the original-spec saddle would be much less than 50-50. That's me anyway. But still, I'd want to at least try the original-spec saddle. After all, if the bike manufacturer specified it, I'd at least like to give it a try.
Old 07-23-09, 12:15 PM
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure your LBS will deal with most, if not all of your issues. Most likely, your bike needs a tune-up, which most shops offer free for new bikes after the break-in period. If you ask them about the saddle, they'll probably swap it out, and I bet they'll give you whatever color tape you want to make you happy. Oh, and they'll true your wheels too. I know I'd do all of the above, no problem.
Old 07-23-09, 07:41 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, y'all, leave the OP alone... I work @ Wallyworld, had a customer the other day that came back to get a new set of the PLASTIC PLUGS THAT COVER THE PEDAL BUSHINGS (NOT BEARINGS, BUT BUSHINGS)!!!!! It never ceases to amaze me that people get so anal over a $100 bike. Sorry, but it's liable to be scratched a little out of the box, the wheels won't always hold a truing, and the parts are sh**; what do you expect? Lance's bike? OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh-kkaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.........
Old 07-23-09, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha. Like my white t-shirts, I never use my white tape more than once, or over 100 miles, whichever is first. I re-tape after every ride and if I plan a century plus, a fresh set of tape will be in my pocket. Anything less is unacceptable.
Old 07-23-09, 10:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Hey, y'all, leave the OP alone... I work @ Wallyworld, had a customer the other day that came back to get a new set of the PLASTIC PLUGS THAT COVER THE PEDAL BUSHINGS (NOT BEARINGS, BUT BUSHINGS)!!!!! It never ceases to amaze me that people get so anal over a $100 bike. Sorry, but it's liable to be scratched a little out of the box, the wheels won't always hold a truing, and the parts are sh**; what do you expect? Lance's bike? OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh-kkaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.........

IF I AM PAYING FOR IT ! specially 1500.00 or let alone 1$ I want the sh_t to be perfect. Otherwise, get out of business... GTFU (grow the **** up)

Last edited by Little Darwin; 07-28-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-24-09, 01:44 AM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by z415
Ha. Like my white t-shirts, I never use my white tape more than once, or over 100 miles, whichever is first. I re-tape after every ride and if I plan a century plus, a fresh set of tape will be in my pocket. Anything less is unacceptable.
....that's nothing, on my whitebartape bike I tow a trailer with a large box full of new whitebartape and re-tape the bars at every red light.
Old 07-24-09, 07:03 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Limit your coffee and take your Xanax.
Old 07-24-09, 07:41 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
....that's nothing, on my whitebartape bike I tow a trailer with a large box full of new whitebartape and re-tape the bars at every red light.
You need a system where the old tape is continuously sliding off the bars and fresh tape is continuously sliding on, like those weird (and nasty!) loop hand towels you find at gas stations sometimes.

Seriously, you guys DO know you can clean white bar tape, right? Try a hand cleaner like GOOP.

To the OP, a new bike will probably need a tune up after the cables, etc bed in. I would expect the bike shop to give it a light tune up for free a month or so after you bought it.
Old 07-24-09, 08:10 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
I was thinking of stopping at every LBS I pass and trading in my bicycle for a new one. Nothing like that Ultimate™ new bike smell.
Old 07-24-09, 08:15 AM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Bent your cellphone-bracket? Time for a new bike!

j/k - You should get the bike you paid for - not the one someone clipped parts from and substituted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.