Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake screw... casing.... thing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've got a track bike and I'm trying to put a front brake on it, and I happened to have an old ultegra 500 front brake lying around and decided I would just use that, however, the little tube thing that screws into the opposite side of the fork(picture 1) doesn't come on the frame I bought and I can't find the original one, I've got one for the rear brake on another frame of mine(picture 2, I pulled it out all the way so it's sticking out, but you get the idea) but it doesn't really seem to want to come out. Basically, I want to know what this thing is called and whether or not I can get one at the LBS. Thanks

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the pics, my camera phone is pretty fail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
media1.jpeg (42.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg
media2.jpeg (81.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-24-09, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
Recessed nut, recessed allen head nut, recessed allen..among a few.
They are available in different lengths.
Here's a few examples:
https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=66567477436
You're LBS should have a few hundred laying around.
Old 07-24-09, 12:05 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Get a bolt or a something that will fit into the brake bridge from the other side of the recessed nut. Make sure that whatever you use is large enough not to go into the recessed nut and mess up the threads. Tap lightly with a hammer. It should come out.
Old 07-24-09, 12:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent, you're amazing, should I just bring my fork in to get the right size or is it 1" for a... "Mercier Custom Drawn Butted and Tapered 4130 Cromoly 1 inch steerer with custom brazed flat crown"
Old 07-24-09, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Get a bolt or a something that will fit into the brake bridge from the other side of the recessed nut. Make sure that whatever you use is large enough not to go into the recessed nut and mess up the threads. Tap lightly with a hammer. It should come out.
Brilliant, with a larger allen wrench and a few love taps the other one came right out. Thanks guys, and now I know what it's called for future reference on top of it all