Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Packing list for out of town tandem rally

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 08:58 AM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Olympic, 2004 Spectrum Ti custom, 2007 Bob Brown fully lugged steel tandem with S and S coupling and DaVinci ICS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to the South Tier Tandem Rally. This is the first time we have been to a tandem rally and hope it will be the first of many to come. We are wondering what we need to bring aside from captain/stoker and tandem? Also, should we attach a pannier rack or is this unnecessary? We plan to stay at a B & B, so we are not bringing camping equipment. We would like to create a master list we can laminate and use on future excursions - tools, clothing, spares, first aid etc. On this occasion we are able to travel by road, but in the future we may need to travel by air to rallies and won't be able to carry as much.
Old 07-25-09, 11:34 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This is just my single bike day ride list, but it's a start for others to add to:

Bike
Check tire pressures
Map or directions
Map holder
Pump
Floor pump
Cell phone with case
1 large water bottle, filled
Food drink in other water bottle
Extra food powder
Hammer Gel and holster
Recovery foods and drinks
Recovery pills & vitamins
Helmet
Sunglasses
Various lenses
Sunglasses chamois
Heart rate monitor & receiver
Sprayer
Watch
Shoes
Booties
Gloves
Headbands (2?)
Black poly skullcap
Jersey
Undershirt
Shorts or tights
Arm warmers
Leg warmers
Plastic bags
Plastic cover for computer
Jacket
Wind vest
Sun screen
Eye drops
Chamois cream
Energy bars
Calling card
Credit card
Cash
Driver’s license
Health insurance card
Keys
Spare tubes (correct tubes! Check valves)
Multi-tool
Spoke wrench
Chain tool
Tire levers for other peoples' bikes
Patch kit (check goop)
Tire boots
After-ride clothes
Asthma stuff
Set altimeter
Set Polar sampling rate
Cue sheets
Event paperwork
Old 07-25-09, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that you're making this too hard.

Mrs. Grouch and I have been to many tandem rallys. Riding clothes, a set (or 2) of casual clothes for the evening, and we're good-to-go.
Old 07-25-09, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In our saddle bag we always have:
Tube (s)
Patches (self adhesive)
Multi-tool (with chain breaker and tire lever)
Extra tire lever
Tire boot
CO2 cartrige w/valve
Chain piece (3 links) and master link
Advil $ and ID's

On the frame we always have:
Tail light
Morph frame pump

For multi-day events we always take:
Extra set of wheels with mounted tires (if traveling by car) If flying two extra tubes and one folding tire
Frame tool (traveling tandem)
Extra set of disc brake pads
Extra set of pedal cleats (frogs)
Tool case
One long DR and one long brake cable.
Chain oil and small tube of grease
Old 07-25-09, 05:16 PM

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Olympic, 2004 Spectrum Ti custom, 2007 Bob Brown fully lugged steel tandem with S and S coupling and DaVinci ICS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travelin' light

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that you're making this too hard.

Mrs. Grouch and I have been to many tandem rallys. Riding clothes, a set (or 2) of casual clothes for the evening, and we're good-to-go.
Thanks for the beatnik approach - we'll carry pack of smiles.

Carbonfiberboy What is hammer gel and holster?

Cornucopia 72
Several items here that wouldn't have occurred to me, thanks

Last edited by adamlaw; 07-25-09 at 05:22 PM. Reason: inclusiveness
Old 07-25-09, 05:49 PM

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We bring a couple of other things on a weekend or longer trip with tandem:

spare spokes (rack trunk)
spare tire (to leave in car or hotel)
some first aid stuff in tandem rack trunk (handiwipes, gauze and tape)
Old 07-25-09, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammergel is like GU. It's just for quick energy. The holster is to carry the flask in.

I always am entertained by packing lists. Everyone has to determine there comfort level for what is important and not important. I'm usually glad someone else is carrying all that stuff. Just in case I need to borrow it.
I'm a firm believer in keeping my good quality equipment in prime working condition so that I do not have to worry about things breaking. Sure things happen but I can count on one hand those events over the last ten years. That philosophy has worked well for me. My packing list is probably very similar to Retro Grouch's.

Yeah, I'm new here but not new to cycling.
Old 07-25-09, 08:32 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We are wondering what we need to bring aside from captain/stoker and tandem?

Everyone's a little bit different and obviously the weather will play into the equation. However, common sense and a review of each Rally's agenda will usually give you clues as to what you'll need.

Off-Bike Clothes: No real need to pack anything you wouldn't take on any other weekend trip aside from cycling clothes. Most banquets are casual and you'll see folks in sandals with shorts and cycling T-shirts as well as others who'll be in dockers with a button down; kinda depends on what you're more comfortable in. I don't like to do breakfast in cycling gear so I'll always pack sweats to wear in the AM.

On Bike Clothes: Again, somewhat personal. For us, 3 days of riding = 3 sets of cycling apparel and for Debbie that usually means 3 sleeveless jerseys and 2 jerseys with sleeves "just in case". I always throw arm warmers in our travel bag and we also keep our O2 rain jackets in the travel bag "just in case". Some of the hardcore touring / frugal types may only take one cycling kit and wash them out each night to cut down on what they need to carry. Of course, when the turns cool or could be cool (always check the long-range forecast for where ever you're headed), a set of kickers or knee warmers could come in handy. The colder it gets, the more stuff we tend to pack, e.g., tights, long sleeve jerseys, wind vests, ear warmers, etc... Again, it all depends. Of course, don't forget your cycling eyewear, helmet and cycling shoes: you'd be amazed at how many times we've seen folks show up to rallies who left their shoes at home that go out searching for a bike shop.

For the body / safety: Sunscreen, chamois cream, Tylenol, lip balm, med-alert bracelets and I always keep color copies of our drivers license and medical cards with emergency contact numbers stuffed in our seat packs.

Other non-bike stuff: A camera if you're into collecting photos of your travels and a cell phone.

The Bike: Again, this varies from team to team. I tend to be a good-cycling-samaritan and on road trips I'll have a folding work stand, my tool box and lots of spare parts so that anyone who has a problem isn't left stranded if there isn't a tandem or bike shop owner at the rally to take care of those things. I also carry either a spare rim when I have my conventional wheels or I'll have my conventional wheels in a wheel bag if I've decided to fit a boutique wheelset to the tandem for the rally.

However, for 'normal' folks just throw in an extra tube and a spare tire along with your floor pump and you should be good to go, assuming your tandem is reliable and receives periodic maintenance. Make sure your tires aren't 'about due' for change, make sure your seat pack actually has the stuff in it that you think you usually carry (funny how those things can be used or misplaced) and that your chain has been wiped down and lubed.

The tandems that have the most problems at rallies are the brand-new ones that haven't been fully sorted-out, the ones that don't get used that much (lots of user-induced issues on these), and then there are the basket cases that aren't well-maintained and always seem to be breaking down. If you fall into one of these three categories, bring your tools or an icy cold six-pack of good beer (Corona's my favorite) to offer up to anyone nice enough to help you with your tandem during the weekend.

Also, should we attach a pannier rack or is this unnecessary?

Again, it's a personal thing and there are folks who will always have a trunk bag sitting on a rear rack of their tandem even on their rides at home and/or if they ride with kids and need to carry snacks and other kid-related stuff. The only time we've used a trunk bag was when we were touring and wanted to have extra room for the aforementioned foul weather gear, bag lunches or small souvenirs and a spare tire + tubes. However, we've never used one at a rally weekend. So, as I say, unless you're going somewhere where the temperature ranges are pretty extreme from AM to PM and you'll need a place to stash a jacket or leg warmers and/or a rain jacket or just like to carry a lot of stuff, if you don't normally use one you probably don't need one for rally.
Old 07-25-09, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Being minimalists at a tandem rally we carry our usual:
Pump, 2 spare spokes (mounted under boob tube), patch kit, tire tools, spare tube, chainlinks/tool, sunscreen + food/water; if inclement weather beckons maybe rain gear. Do bring an if needed use/carry: armwarmers/jacket/long gloves. No need for panniers; trunkbag is sufficient.
There's usually good sag support at rallies.
Ride TWOgether/enjoy!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-25-09, 11:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
This is just my single bike day ride list, but it's a start for others to add to:

Bike
Check tire pressures
Map or directions
Map holder
Pump
Floor pump
Cell phone with case
1 large water bottle, filled
Food drink in other water bottle
Extra food powder
Hammer Gel and holster
Recovery foods and drinks
Recovery pills & vitamins
Helmet
Sunglasses
Various lenses
Sunglasses chamois
Heart rate monitor & receiver
Sprayer
Watch
Shoes
Booties
Gloves
Headbands (2?)
Black poly skullcap
Jersey
Undershirt
Shorts or tights
Arm warmers
Leg warmers
Plastic bags
Plastic cover for computer
Jacket
Wind vest
Sun screen
Eye drops
Chamois cream
Energy bars
Calling card
Credit card
Cash
Driver’s license
Health insurance card
Keys
Spare tubes (correct tubes! Check valves)
Multi-tool
Spoke wrench
Chain tool
Tire levers for other peoples' bikes
Patch kit (check goop)
Tire boots
After-ride clothes
Asthma stuff
Set altimeter
Set Polar sampling rate
Cue sheets
Event paperwork
You forgot a Master Link
Old 07-26-09, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my whittled down packing list!

Thanks for the group effort here. Aside from Retro-Grouche's non-list list, here is my alphabetized list:

2 Helmets
2 large water bottles
3 days off-bike clothes
3 days on-bike clothes
acetaminophen
Cash
cell phone
Cell phone with case
Chain oil and small tube of grease
Chain piece (3 links) and master link
Chain tool
chamois cream
color copies drivers license and medical card in bike
Credit card
Cycling shoes
Driver’s license
Dry lubricant
Event paperwork
Extra set of disc brake pads
Extra set of pedal cleats (zeros)
Floor pump
Frame tool (traveling tandem)
Gloves
Health insurance card
Inner tubes
Keys
lip balm
Map or directions
master link
Multi-tool (with chain breaker and tire lever)
naproxen
One long derailer and one long brake cable.
Plastic bags
Portable work stand - car travel
Pump
Rain jackets
spare pedals
spare spokes
spare tire
Spoke wrench
Sunglasses
Sunglasses chamois
sunscreen
Tail light
Tandem
Tandem stand
Tool case
Watch
Old 07-26-09, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot something...I don't know what it is but I bet you forgot it! As soon as you need it you'll know what it is though. It always works that way...
Old 07-27-09, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
We were thinking of going to the STTR this year but things didn't work out. We too have never been to a tandem rally, but I never thought of bringing much more than the bike and our basic support pack (tubes, tools, etc). Isn't the STTR associated with a bike shop and don't they have some sort of SAG? I kind of figured that was what rallies were about, meeting other tandemeers with supported organized rides.
Old 07-27-09, 06:36 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
Isn't the STTR associated with a bike shop and don't they have some sort of SAG? I kind of figured that was what rallies were about, meeting other tandemeers with supported organized rides.
STTR has been hosted by Rich Shapiro who has been running Gear-to-Go Tandems (www.gtgtandems.com) out of his home for many, many years... noting that home-based tandem speciality dealers have been the norm for over 20 years, e.g., Tandems East, Tandems Ltd, Precision Tandems and a few others that have come and gone.

Rallies are about meeting other tandem enthusiasts but most are not technically 'supported' rides with SAG vehicles and mechanics or even bicycle shops as sponsors / official support folks. In fact, most rally organizers will make a point of telling attendees that they should be self-sufficient, but will note that there are often times folks at rallies and/or dealers attending who may be able to offer assistance. As for on-road break downs, carry a cell phone and the organizers will usually find someone who will come to your rescue.