Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Giant Seek 2 Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Giant Seek 2 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Seek 2 Thoughts?

I'm looking into buying a Giant Seek 2 for basic weekend errands and rides around my neighborhood. Is this a good bike for my purpose and in general? What are your thoughts?
Old 07-27-09, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seek is a great bike for the money and would work very well for what you are using it for

My favorite thing about that bike is the parts you get for the money. You get Avid Juicy brakes, Sram x5 drivetrain and a decent wheelset for $700 retail but I am sure you can talk them down a little on the price
Old 07-27-09, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Roubaix Pro, 2008 Giant Trance X2, 2009 Giant Seek 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Seek 1 and really like it. The Seek 2 might be a bit much for just riding around the neighborhood. Unless you plan on doing more with it later. Maybe look at the Suede series. I rode the GX around when I was looking for a commuting bike. It would be a fun bike to ride short distances. I've always been a fan of cruisers (ie Electra) for running errands. Seek 2 is a really nice bike though.
Old 07-27-09, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also think that the Seek series is a bit much to pay, before you know what kind of riding you like. Most people that commute end up liking to do another type or riding after a short while. Some like to ride on the road, others like to ride on dirt trails, etc. A LARGE number of people that I know that have gotten a hybrid or "do everything" bicycle regret it later.

If I were you, I would pick up a decent used bike with more gear choices than on the Seek, and make up your mind after a few months of riding what kind of "new" bike you want to get later. Get something like a name-brand mountain bike with stiff front forks (put on slick tires for commuting), or a similar road bike that has rear rack mounts (25c-32c tires for a smoother ride at first).

Think sturdy, mechanically sound, and that can easily be converted to its native type of riding later. For example: it is very difficult to put traditional road-bike handlebars on a bike set up with flat-bars (brake levers and gear shifters), but you get a cheap front fork and put knobby tires on, and you have a decent mountain bike.

You will soon figure out what kind of bike and riding appeals to you. Until then, get something less expensive to cut your teeth on.

Old 07-27-09, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I've ridden a Giant Seek 1, which I imagine has the same geometry and handlebars.

While it was otherwise a nice bike, I found the handlebars kind of weird. They're completely straight and not swept back at all. At the same time, they're kind of wide. I just found them uncomfortable - it's like they're sorta designed for mountain biking, except they're a little on the wide side.

I like the steel fork on the Seek, but if I was going to buy a casual bike I think the Giant Trans Send would be more comfortable. It doesn't have a steel fork, but it does have swept back handlebars plus stuck like a rack and fenders and those big tires probably make the fork material a moot point anyways:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...le/2306/32162/

Old 07-28-09, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Giant Transend DX, bought it for a short commute and getting around town, grocery shopping, going to the movies, etc. It's done me very well so far, had it about two months. Comfortable, smooth shifting, rugged enough for what I use it for, and fast enough for the same.
Old 07-28-09, 03:02 PM
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Seek 1 and love it. You will be thrilled with the Seek 2 for sure. The tires are great.
Old 07-28-09, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a huge fan of the Giant Transend, i sell all the ones we get at the shop the second the come in.
I do not recommend the Suede, crappy components, i would rather put a customer on a Cypress ST/DX than a suede any day of the week.

The Seek, we haven't ever ordered one so i can't guage my opinion of it from experience with it, but from the specs it looks like a nice ride that i would put customers on.
Old 08-16-09, 07:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how does the seek 3 compare to the brodies? i am trying to decide between a seek2/3 and a brodie force. I am a very confused newbie :S
Old 06-20-12, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nubie here, just a bought a 2010 Giant Seek 2. Any thoughts would be welcome. I do need to have it set up pro but right now tweeking it myself...
Plan on doing the KATY trail in Missouri at some point, 4 day ride....
Any thoughts on add ons?
Old 06-20-12, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2009 Seek 2 and it's been great. I changed the junk tires and seat post and slapped on a Brooks B-17, but other than that I have had no complaints.