Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The blue blue ocean...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The blue blue ocean...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 11:25 AM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The blue blue ocean...

Off the coast of Peru now.. the ship is participating in SIFOREX 04, UNITAS 04 and SURGEX.. all at once. I could tell you more but, it'd bore you. Needless to say, it's important, and interesting for the most part. Lot of dignitaries from Peru last few days and others. Vin Del Mar, Chile; beautiful and fun. It's a lot cleaner than Rio was.. the people were not as friendly, but once you broke the ice they were very warm. Spent some time at a bar called "The Happy Viking". Small hole in the wall style place, but enjoyable company all around. (I've got pictures but they're to big to post here and I don't have the resources.). Everyone rides MTB in Chile, the full suspension knock off style. They say it's a "poorer" nation, but as far as I've seen, people appear to be more frugal and less materialistic rather than poor. Very likeable, really. I also saw a lot of cargo bikes, all of them single speed with an odd foot pedal brake system. They used a pivot point turn system, pretty intense. I took one for a ride, and it was like riding a tank...

We spent about 3 hours outside in spontaneous conversation with some local women.. Despite my broken Spanish and their broken English, we covered everything from world leaders, to the current price of Chilean wine and.. With the reputation sailors often have, it was surprising and downright kick ass that they were willing to sit, grab a drink and yak it up for several hours, with out the obligations the conversations usually entail.

The weather has been getting warmer as we are now headed in a Northern style direction. We beat the storm near the southern tip, some decent size swells (in the 20 - 25 foot range), but nothing hard. This carrier is the first to have a bulbous bow, which makes a big difference in bad seas, as well as other things. Next stop will be Calllao, Peru. Not sure what to look for in Peru.. but I look forward to eating decent food (I've gone vegan on the ship, but full on meat eater when I'm off the ship). Am getting much tired of riding the life cycle. It's very boring when there's no cars trying to run you off the road... Supposedly TDF will be on TV here, so I might be able to catch that.

Home in approx 5 weeks, mas o menos. Hope everyone is doing well, and this post finds you all in good spirits. Thanks for those that have shot me sideline emails here and there... It's always good to hear from back home.
Old 07-03-04, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear of your escapades WK. Keeping up on the Lifecycle, as boring as it may be, will make going back to the fixie more bearable. Happy 4th of July to ya.
Old 07-03-04, 03:21 PM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been wondering how you were doing. Glad to see you aren't slogging through some town with an M-16.
Old 07-03-04, 05:07 PM
Danger is my middle name.

Bikes: Can't stand the damn things...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by William Karsten
Spent some time at a bar called "The Happy Viking". Small hole in the wall style place, but enjoyable company all around.
Skitbra, do you have a sibling running a bar in Chile?
Old 07-03-04, 05:20 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more like a kid, not a sibling. dude gets a mohawk and the ladies flock.
Old 07-03-04, 08:53 PM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [165]
more like a kid, not a sibling. dude gets a mohawk and the ladies flock.
It's all part of my master plan! By next year I will have children and chains to my bar in fourteen countries!!! Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha!!
Old 07-03-04, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Merckx Miyata Barracuda!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skitbraviking
It's all part of my master plan! By next year I will have children and chains to my bar in fourteen countries!!! Ha ha, ha ha, ha ha!!
What are you setting up franchises?

BTW good to hear from you WK...

Phil
Old 07-03-04, 10:41 PM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by goatmeal
What are you setting up franchises?