Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Its a vicious cycle

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Its a vicious cycle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 06:10 AM
Duckslayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a vicious cycle

Ok I love food! Ill be the first to say I love to eat. Yesterday I had around 4000 calories give or take. It was mostly healthy food untill supper when I had a cheeseburger, 2 orders of fries and a brownie sunday from Dairy Queen. I rode a fast 10mi yesterday cause its all I had time for after work. My work consists of walking through cotton fields all day so I know I burn a considerable number of calories there. My problem is it seems like I never can get in a routine of eating healthy foods all day. By the end of the day I crave junk! Does anyone else have this problem? How do you control it?
Old 07-28-09, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try increasing the fat content in your diet (good fats of course), and eat less refined/white carbs as they only make you crave junk and don't offer much in the way of nutritional value. Also - willpower!
Old 07-28-09, 06:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is some really sound advice. Your best defense is will power, flat out. The refined sugars really do just make you crave more so if you can just say no to the first item, then you won't binge on the rest. I know that seems really stupid, but my point is that once you start on sugars it can be really hard to stop.

Good fats too really help curb that appetite. Peanuts or any kind of nut has good fats. Avacados (guacamole!), milk fat (controversial), etc. Also, don't starve yourself during the day, it's better to have your big meal up front and work off the calories throughout the day rather than to withhold and loose control at night.

If it's any help, I always found that the first day of adapting to a new diet may be hell but even as soon as day 2 it becomes way easier Will power! Stay tough
Old 07-28-09, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've experienced a similar problem, although I'm maintaining the weight not really gaining. Lately I've been trying to eat more in the mornings, less in the evenings so I'm not packing away calories during sleep (into fat). I've reduce potatoes and grains (including bread and cereal) to the minimum. That's really changed my intake a lot as I've had to increase fruits and vegetables to accommodate this shift and have to be sure to get enough protein foods.

If you are actually trying to lose weight you most likely cannot with 4000 calorie intake, but if your weight is stable or at a place where you're satisfied, 4000 calories could be reasonable (on certain days, maybe not all) due to high caloric expenditure.

Really you should, no matter what, quit eating french fries as they are completely unnecessary / junk food that are packed with empty calories. Also they taste TOO GOOD so you end up supersizing or buying 2 helpings. If your standard is to never eat them, and you only cheat once in a great while, that also is success. Good luck.
Old 07-28-09, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Arkansan07
It was mostly healthy food untill supper when I had a cheeseburger, 2 orders of fries and a brownie sunday from Dairy Queen.

How do you control it?
For starters, I make sure to never set foot in a place like Dairy Queen. There's no food there, just chemicals.
Old 08-02-09, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im seconding Avacados , plus (for me at least) it really seems that a day after eating them my legs feel really good and dont cramp as easily on mileage

yup