Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How to start learning downhill

Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-09, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding xc for awhile at a local trail. It has, from what I hear, a pretty nice downhill section in the back. I have a dh bike from a former friends who moved away and couldnt take it. I want to learn, but don't want to get in the way of guys who will most likely be going a lot faster than me. What should I do to try and stay out of their way? Thanks guys! -ride hard
Old 07-30-09, 12:14 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you're up at the top of the run, let them go ahead - - and then try to keep them in sight for a corner or two and watch them and how they take sections. Then just ride. If you have to stop to inspect a feature up ahead, pull off to the side. Or pull off, lean your bike against a tree and walk it (along the side of the trail) to check it out.

Then get on and ride again. Just keep your ears open and pay attention. If someone's overtaking you, they'll call out "on your right" or "on your left" just like in XC. Hopefully nicely. Don't be intimidated; beginners have just as much right to practice/ride a trail as an expert or pro.

Have fun!
Old 07-31-09, 11:28 AM
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried downhill for the first time a couple weeks ago in Fernie. The new riders will be more cautious, like you. The really good riders will understand that everyone starts somewhere & will call out to pass, or let you know that they are there.

Seems like the "wanna-be" riders are the worst. Not necessarily fast or good - but think they are. Those are also the riders that think they are the only ones that should be enjoying the trails.

Go have fun - down hill is totally different - and really cool!!
Old 07-31-09, 04:30 PM
Custom User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edbikebabe
I tried downhill for the first time a couple weeks ago in Fernie. The new riders will be more cautious, like you. The really good riders will understand that everyone starts somewhere & will call out to pass, or let you know that they are there.

Seems like the "wanna-be" riders are the worst. Not necessarily fast or good - but think they are. Those are also the riders that think they are the only ones that should be enjoying the trails.

Go have fun - down hill is totally different - and really cool!!

I had an issue with some newer riders in Fernie a couple of weekends ago. Now I don't have any problems with new people getting into downhill but know your limitations and stay off double black runs.

We were riding TNT which has a really fun steep and rough section that I wanted to pin it down. On that part of the run, we came across 4 people who were walking that section of the trail (and it's a tough trail to walk down - would have been easier and safer for them to stay on the road to Rumple). The first people got out of the way okay but the last person was right at the top of a fun 4-5 foot rock drop and I had to wait for her to try to walk down/around it. In the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big issue but people at that skill level shouldn't be on that trail. Most resorts have plenty of other options as opposed to double blacks.

But anyway, if you do find you have to walk a section, be very aware of who may be coming up behind you. Most riders aren't expecting someone in the middle of the trail when they come flying around a corner.