Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many Massachusetts commuters here

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I see some of you because it is in your avatar. I am just curiouse as to how many there are, where you commute, & what seasons you commute in.
I currently park my truck at Borderland and ride into Mansfield every day about 10 miles each way. This is my 1st year as a commuter so I have no idea if I will make it through the winter, depends on the weather to be honest.

Last edited by Timber_8; 08-01-09 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 05:53 AM
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Falmouth. My ride to work (Shaw's in Falmouth) is 4 miles each way if I take Route 28, or it's 6 miles if I'm feeling energetic and take either Central Ave or Davisville Rd. I prefer riding in the Spring and Fall months. I've been wimping out lately thanks to the humidity and thunderstorm forecasts. I ride in the Winter as long as there's no snow on the ground.
Old 08-01-09, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Fuji Royale 1984, Specialized Crossroads 2004, Giant Halfway 2005, Giant OCR 2 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a folder to train in Beverly, then from North Station to Fort Point area. I do this pretty much year round, as long as there is no ice. Occasionally I ride all the way from my home in Danvers to Boston. 20 miles one way. For this trip I use a road bike. I only ride all the way in Spring, Summer or Fall.
Old 08-01-09, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Somerville and have about a 3 mile commute over to Cambridge. Almost every day on the way home I'll do the Charles River, the Minuteman path, go out to Castle Island or any combo of the three.

Massachusetts is a great place to be a biker!
Old 08-01-09, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What roads do you use to get from the North Shore to Boston? I've looked and have never seen any good bike-friendly roads from Boston up to the North Shore. I've wanted to try a ride up to Gloucester.

Originally Posted by Northshore Man
I ride a folder to train in Beverly, then from North Station to Fort Point area. I do this pretty much year round, as long as there is no ice. Occasionally I ride all the way from my home in Danvers to Boston. 20 miles one way. For this trip I use a road bike. I only ride all the way in Spring, Summer or Fall.
Old 08-01-09, 08:12 AM
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cambridge/Somerville line. I don't commute to any one specific place due to the nature of my work, but I ride around the Harvard and MIT areas, to Porter and Davis Sqs in Somerville (though I hate doing this), and into downtown Boston and Watertown/Newton along the Charles River path. When I ride my roadbike for sport, I go on the Minuteman, starting at the Davs Sq connector trail.
Old 08-01-09, 08:17 AM
Lug Princess

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bmt074
I live in Somerville and have about a 3 mile commute over to Cambridge. Almost every day on the way home I'll do the Charles River, the Minuteman path, go out to Castle Island or any combo of the three.

Massachusetts is a great place to be a biker!
How do you get to Castle Island from Somerville?
Probably beyond my current vehicular cycling skill level, but it sounds like so much fun.
Old 08-01-09, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really not that far out! I work in Kendall Square and I would say it's under 5 miles from there. The only issue is that you have to go out through the city so you'll have to deal with a fair amount of traffic. Most streets have bike lanes or are wide enough to be comfortable cruising with cars.

If you head over to South Station in Boston (I head over the bridge the red line travels over to Charles st and work my way over to Summer St from there) and ride Summer St out - it'll take you straight over. Take a left at First St or East Broadway and you'll head right over to the water. There is a really nice path there that hugs the shoreline for a few miles, plus a path that goes right out into the water and circles around to Fort Independence. It's also an awesome place to relax, get some food and watch some planes take off.

Of course you asked from Somerville! I would bike out to the North Station area, cut over to Congress St, then cut over to Summer St/South station. Take Summer st out towards the water, left on First St or East Broadway.

BTW I checked out your blog... Great post on the Minuteman!

Originally Posted by Veloria
How do you get to Castle Island from Somerville?
Probably beyond my current vehicular cycling skill level, but it sounds like so much fun.

Last edited by bmt074; 08-01-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-01-09, 09:16 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I was just visiting my mom in Essex County, did not look hugely bike friendly, but doable.
Old 08-01-09, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Fuji Royale 1984, Specialized Crossroads 2004, Giant Halfway 2005, Giant OCR 2 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Route 99 from Charlstown to Everett, then North on Route 99 into Revere on to Saugus to Boston Street Lynn, MA over to Parkland Ave through Wyoma Square into South Peabody, through Peabody Square then over to Pualski Street/Liberty Street into Danvers.

Route 99 from Charlestown to Everett is the only bad stretch of road. It is doable!
Old 08-01-09, 05:10 PM

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The last time I drove rte 99 from Everett to Charlestown I was shocked at the potholes along it, I thought they would swallow the Mini I was driving.
What sized tires do you ride on?
Old 08-01-09, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute into Boston daily. My commute ranges from 20-30 miles round trip depending on what route I take in addition to any other stops I make on the way home.
Old 08-01-09, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randomgear
The last time I drove rte 99 from Everett to Charlestown I was shocked at the potholes along it, I thought they would swallow the Mini I was driving.
What sized tires do you ride on?
Randomgear-

the potholes and road debris can be difficult on this stretch of 99. You definitely need tough puncture resistant tires. I ride depending on which bike I ride either 700x28mm, or 27x1 1/4 inch both bikes have Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires. No flats since I got these tires. Numerous flats before switching to these tires. That stretch is the worse part of my commute, but I think it is the only way to get into Boston by Bike from the North Shore.

I go over to Main Street in Charlestown when I get to the Schaft's rotary. I hope this helps.
Old 08-01-09, 08:11 PM
Lug Princess

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bmt074
It's really not that far out! I work in Kendall Square and I would say it's under 5 miles from there. The only issue is that you have to go out through the city so you'll have to deal with a fair amount of traffic.
Right, that's the part I'm weary of : ) I am pretty comfortable with the Kendall / MIT area and going into Boston as far as Newbury St, but have not ventured further yet. Thanks for the directions -- will give it a try and report back!
Old 08-01-09, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to commute to work twice a week as long as it isn't too cold. It's about 22 miles each way. I get to use a lot of back roads because I live a little outside 495 so the ride is great. I just need to get in better shape so I can do it more regularly and get a little faster to make it more reasonable timewise. I don't ride in the winter because it is just too cold to be enjoyable when I am out in the weather for so long.
Old 08-01-09, 10:01 PM
pothole dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute from Brighton (near Cleveland Circle/Brighton Center) into BU/Kenmore Sq everyday, year-round. Sure beats the T (not hard, I know).
Old 08-01-09, 10:04 PM
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't belong on this thread... but that won't stop me.

I live in Chicago, but am originally from Dighton, Ma.

I hope I will be commuting from Scituate to Boston someday.

Love conquers all
Old 08-02-09, 05:57 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
I don't belong on this thread... but that won't stop me.

I live in Chicago, but am originally from Dighton, Ma.

I hope I will be commuting from Scituate to Boston someday.

Love conquers all
That would be a nice ride right down 3A. Quincy & Dorchester might not be great but the rest of it is. Jerusalem road is beautiful along the water.
Old 08-02-09, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I drive from Fairhaven to the Galleria Mall in Taunton. I bike from there thruogh the center of town to Industrial Park. It's around 11 miles each direction.

Occasionally I will drive to work on Friday, ride the 35 miles to Fairhaven after work, passing through Dighton, then ride back to work on Saturday to pick up the car.
Old 08-02-09, 07:45 AM
pedaler

Bikes: 2023 Brompton C Line Electric

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Chicopee and commute to South Hadley. I also try to get nearly all my errands done on my bikes. I'm averaging about 35 miles daily and I ride year round. Last January there were 3 weeks when I succumbed to my trainer bike inside instead of braving the roads.

I wish I lived near Boston.
Old 08-02-09, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
I see some of you because it is in your avatar. I am just curiouse as to how many there are, where you commute, & what seasons you commute in.
I currently park my truck at Borderland and ride into Mansfield every day about 10 miles each way. This is my 1st year as a commuter so I have no idea if I will make it through the winter, depends on the weather to be honest.
I year round commute from Kenmore Square to Norwood early in the morning; it's a reverse comute of about 14 miles and very peaceful. During the nice weather I add on miles for a Century training program. At night I take my bike home on the Commuter Rail, which I pick up about one tenth of a mile from work, then about a mile back to Kenmore. I salute all those who do the commutes descrbed above.

BTW, last week-end I rode from Boston down Rte 18 to Rte 106 and over to Bay Rd and onto Rockland Street, and then Foxboro, Walpole and to Norwood, and then the train home. I presume the Borderland the OP referred to is the State Park that borders Rockland. There was a peculiar, but unique and ornate VFW or American Legion Hall on Rockand and Allen. It seems so out-of-the-way; is there a story behind it?
Old 08-02-09, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northshore Man
I ride Route 99 from Charlstown to Everett, then North on Route 99 into Revere on to Saugus to Boston Street Lynn, MA over to Parkland Ave through Wyoma Square into South Peabody, through Peabody Square then over to Pualski Street/Liberty Street into Danvers.

Route 99 from Charlestown to Everett is the only bad stretch of road. It is doable!
just how long does that take?

I went to HS in Lynn and the first job I had was to buy a bike.. I used to ride all over Lynn Peabody, Swampscott, MArblehead to work and stuff, but never went into Boston...

Robi

edited to add: I never road all the way into Boston because I was always told *you can't get there from here* ... an dI thought the only way to prove them wrong was to go way, way, way round...

Last edited by robi; 08-02-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-02-09, 08:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
that is on my daily commute the VFW has a Tank parked in the corner. I park on the back side of Borderland at the end of Allen st at Bay rd and run Rockland st to maple st into Mansfield. I don't know anything about the VFW except they have a real nice Tank there
Old 08-02-09, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will re-start bike commuting in about 2 weeks - our recent move disrupted, well, pretty much everything! Sudbury -> Burlington. 37-40 miles RT. Far less hills, traffic, and stop lights than the Waltham->Burlington commute I was doing before a few times a week, that route was 30 miles RT.
Old 08-02-09, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
that is on my daily commute the VFW has a Tank parked in the corner. I park on the back side of Borderland at the end of Allen st at Bay rd and run Rockland st to maple st into Mansfield. I don't know anything about the VFW except they have a real nice Tank there
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember seeing a tank. I'm sure I'll ride by there again this season, and look for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.