Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sidi's

Old 08-01-09, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidi's

I currently use SPD's on my road bike. They've developed some awful squeaks which are driving me crazy. They come and go, with lubrication seeming to help a bit.
I'm considering going to a road shoe/pedal. I've seen many comments praising Sidi's. I'm thinking Sidi's with Crank Brothers maybe. I'm looking for suggestions on shoe models. Somebody please sell me on spending this much for new shoes. Money isn't a major issue, but the price is pretty high.
I've bought total bikes for the cost of shoes and pedals!
Old 08-01-09, 01:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I own Sidi Bullets and use them with spds on my road bike. If I had to do it over I would have spent MORE and gotten the ones with the buckle instead of the velcro upper thingy. I just got back from a 50 miler. My feet are the only part of my body that isn't hurting right now.

My son-in-law uses his Sidis with Crank Brother Candy's and seems to like them just fine.
Old 08-01-09, 01:41 PM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sidi makes cycling shoes of the highest quality. In my opinion, they set the bar for all cycling shoes. They will fit your feet if your feet taper toward the front, which is the most common foot shape. If your feet do not (my toes are much closer to the same length, so that my feet are more like rectangles) then they will hurt your toes. I used Sidi 5.5 shoes for a while, thinking that somehow my feet would get used to them. They never did, unfortunately.
Old 08-01-09, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
Sidi makes cycling shoes of the highest quality. In my opinion, they set the bar for all cycling shoes. They will fit your feet if your feet taper toward the front, which is the most common foot shape. If your feet do not (my toes are much closer to the same length, so that my feet are more like rectangles) then they will hurt your toes. I used Sidi 5.5 shoes for a while, thinking that somehow my feet would get used to them. They never did, unfortunately.
That's why they have the mega sizes. I had the same problem until I switched to the megas.
Old 08-01-09, 02:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I owned two different pairs of cycling shoes before I bought my Sidi Genius 5's. I had foot trouble with the first two pair (Louis Garneau and and lower-priced pair of Sidis), but after the switch, I've had no trouble at all. IMO, they've been well worth what I paid for them. It's nice to have feet that don't hurt during a long ride.

By the way, I bought mine closeout for half the regular price, so if you shop around you might save some money.
Old 08-01-09, 02:41 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I HAD to buy new shoes this year. My old ones were from the mid 90's and with all the rain we had lately they began to smell like the cat pissed in them. I considered Sidis but could not take the hit. I went with the Shimano R160 from nashbar - but I got them at a deep discount. Very comfortable. They can be molded but I have had no need to do that as they fit well.
Old 08-01-09, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I've owned Sidi Genus 5's for 5 years. Best. shoe. ever. Comfortable as all get-out. I use Speedplay X5's. Just got my wife a pair of Sidi's this morning.
Old 08-01-09, 03:09 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have rode Sidi Genius 5's Megas for the past 5 or 6 years. I will replace then with another pair of Sidi's when its time to get new shoes.
Old 08-01-09, 08:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Decide whether you want real road pedals or MTB type pedals and buy the appropriate SIDI shoes. Pick your price level and the corresponding model. You'll be happy.
Old 08-01-09, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After listening to all the talk, I bought a pair of Genius 5 Pros. They are way, way overpriced and worth it.
Old 08-02-09, 12:09 AM
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Sidi Genius 5's in the mega widths. First cycling shoes that fit my feet correctly. (Wide, high arches) The ability to adjust with the ratcheted buckle is a real plus! Yes expensive, but quality of materials and manufacturer usually is!

Cheers,
Geary
Old 08-02-09, 05:45 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have a wide foot, and Sidi Mega's are very confortable and best shoe I've found. I also us speedplays. Only thing I don't like over SPD's in that shoe cleats fill up with dirt/mud (if ya need to walk) and clipping in is not a sure thing. There are some good deals on ebay if you watch as most sell used but almost new, after finding out they ought wrong side. Last Mega's I got were $75.

Good Luck.