Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

brakeless & tubular?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

brakeless & tubular?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 09:27 PM
ready for the freakout

Bikes: Spicer track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brakeless & tubular?

so, anybody here ride tubulars on the street without brakes? if so, how do they hold up under skidding and whatnot? any brand recommendations? the tufo's look like they'd be pretty tough.
Old 07-05-04, 09:37 PM
Filthy Cycling Rodent

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bad idea, is all i have to say. hell, i wouldnt ride freewheel with a tubular on city streets, not with chicago glass around
Old 07-05-04, 09:55 PM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had tubulars on my track bike the first couple of days that I had it. I threw my chain and totally locked the back wheel - it was completely toast. There was a 1/2" wide 4" long section where the rubber was completely gone. But the silk held and I didn't notice it until I got home (it was a pretty dark trail).

They handle pretty nice though - really great feel, really fast. Maybe you should just get a set for racing?
Old 07-05-04, 10:06 PM
Filthy Cycling Rodent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you can afford a wheelset for racing and a wheelset for the street, by all means, get tubulars for the track. i just wouldnt risk it on the street
Old 07-05-04, 11:51 PM
ready for the freakout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i figured as much. i've been having a hell of a difficult time finding decent inexpensive 36h clincher rims for my D/A 10mm hubs on ebay, but there's lots of cheap nos tubular rims. i may just have to suck it up and get new deep v's thru the lbs...

(off topic: cyclorat, i think i have one of your miyata's siblings. did you get yours from a canadian named dave pendon?)
Old 07-06-04, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitensha_de_go!
so, anybody here ride tubulars on the street without brakes? if so, how do they hold up under skidding and whatnot? any brand recommendations? the tufo's look like they'd be pretty tough.
I ride brakeless with tubulars... the first tires on it were 20 years old and I shredded them within a couple of weeks. The second pair were high end tires and simply deflated too fast for me... I had to air them up three or four times a week. The third, current pair are thicker and meant more for the road than the track. So far they're holding up, but as with any tires, skidding a lot is going to chew them up fast.
Old 07-06-04, 07:13 PM
ready for the freakout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thinman
I ride brakeless with tubulars... the first tires on it were 20 years old and I shredded them within a couple of weeks. The second pair were high end tires and simply deflated too fast for me... I had to air them up three or four times a week. The third, current pair are thicker and meant more for the road than the track. So far they're holding up, but as with any tires, skidding a lot is going to chew them up fast.
what brand are they?
Old 07-06-04, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what brand are they?
Ya know I'm not sure. The LBS installed them, they have no markings and I forgot to ask. I got them put on here:

Bike Works NYC
Old 07-07-04, 01:10 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'v been told that it's a bad idea, if the glue gives up while cornering you end up taco'ing your wheel and worse...
Old 07-07-04, 12:39 PM
you deserve nothing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tubular street track=slow suicide
Old 07-07-04, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i figured as much. i've been having a hell of a difficult time finding decent inexpensive 36h clincher rims for my D/A 10mm hubs on ebay, but there's lots of cheap nos tubular rims. i may just have to suck it up and get new deep v's thru the lbs...

(off topic: cyclorat, i think i have one of your miyata's siblings. did you get yours from a canadian named dave pendon?)
How do you know Dave Pendon? My wife was good friends with his older brother Eugene when we live back in Ottawa years ago. I also noticed Dave's bike on the fixedgeargallery.com site too. Still out of Montreal I believe...Small world ain't it?
Old 07-07-04, 01:22 PM
ready for the freakout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by progre-ss
How do you know Dave Pendon? My wife was good friends with his older brother Eugene when we live back in Ottawa years ago. I also noticed Dave's bike on the fixedgeargallery.com site too. Still out of Montreal I believe...Small world ain't it?

we're both on the Old Skool Track.com email list. he had a bunch of those miyatas for sale a while back, i think the other three might still be on ebay now...
Old 07-08-04, 12:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on streets in Montreal with my "tubular" tires, but would never consider riding sans freins in a city. I find riding this way on a track to be very difficult.
Old 07-08-04, 09:40 PM
oh..so...crusty..

Bikes: bianchi pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikkhu
I'v been told that it's a bad idea, if the glue gives up while cornering you end up taco'ing your wheel and worse...

some tubular riders will actually tape their wheels to their rims, in order to decrease changes of rolling the tubular. I think the grass track racers do that on four points around their wheels...looks sick!
Old 07-08-04, 10:20 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
As I understand it, if you put a tubular on right, you shouldn't have to worry about it rolling off. I guess those new Tufo glue strip things are particularly secure (not to mention eas).
Old 07-08-04, 11:40 PM
Filthy Cycling Rodent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope, got mine from some local guy who wasnt riding it anymore, just the frameset. the three do seem to be on ebay thought.

moi, jaime des pneus bien solides, pas de collés...mais jamais de freins :-P
Old 07-09-04, 12:35 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crustedfish
some tubular riders will actually tape their wheels to their rims, in order to decrease changes of rolling the tubular. I think the grass track racers do that on four points around their wheels...looks sick!
well, I got some fir rims with the Olmo frame, might give this a try...
Old 07-10-04, 03:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike shop guru says that there's no problem with riding tubulars brakeless (provided that you can ride brakeless on clinchers) as long as they're installed correctly. I considered classic tubulars for my street track bike but decided against them because they're ultra low profile and not very suitable for pothole riding.
Old 05-27-05, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to bump this... anyone have any new suggestions on what the best tubulars to skid on are? I can't figure out which ones are the heaviest duty. I'm going to try one of those green Vittoria cyclocross sew ups at first, but want some other suggestions.

Also, no one ever rolls a tubular unless (a) it's glued improperly - and they're easy to glue, or (b) they're riding the brakes on a descent, heating up the rim and melting the glue. At least, no one who isn't racing.

Thanks! Just had a wheelset built up at Boulevard in Chicago - 28-spoke Ambrosio Montreal tubular rims laced to a shimano 600 road hub in front and a dura-ace track/track hub in back. So, so light!
Old 05-27-05, 01:54 PM
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love tubulars and have been racing road bikes on them for 15 years.

I should say that I find Tufos to be rather too fragile. They are fine racing tires but after 6-10 races you'd better change them. The tread is very thin and they flat much too easily. That is the last brand I'd recommend for brakeless fixed gear riding. But perhaps one of their heavier tires like the T28 would be suitable. But forget about the Road Elite or S models. Anyhow, after flatting out of a road race on a Tufo Elite Road week before last, on mile 2, I've given up on mine and I'm very glad that my team was sponsored by Schwalbe this year. We did a tyre buy and I bought 10 tubulars for 20 bucks apiece on 2004 clearance!

Also, I must say I think that this is a bad idea if you live in a city where you'll end up skidding a lot. Rolling the tire shouldn't be a problem, BUT if you watch crash footage like Beloki's his tire rolled after he got real sideways, so use some caution. I just think you'd be going through many tires and it would be costly and time consuming.
Old 05-27-05, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem with tubulars at all. I raced and messengered them..

S/F<
CEYA!
Old 05-27-05, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, Ceya, when you messengered on them which tires were you using? I was messengering on one of the Clement ones from Yellow Jersey and flatted it, then put on a Gommitalia and it's been much better. What's your favorite?
Old 05-27-05, 09:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ride most of them from Vittoria's Cx,Formula one, Conti, Pista silk(NO NO here) ,Gommitalia, Japapnese other brands, Pana racers. I have a mix of them now. Vittoria's Rally, Japanses brand, Contis also.

Forumula one are the most used since the prices were low. they were once made in Italy.
S/F<
CEYA!
Old 05-27-05, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thinman
I had to air them up three or four times a week.

They may have had latex tubes- they are quite porous.

I top my tires off daily. It is a good practive to avoid pinch flats (on my clinchers)
Old 05-29-05, 09:38 AM
intense

Bikes: pinarello track, mongoose california pro bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode tubulars on my fixie for almost a year in the city. got a flat a few times. havn't had a chance to try to change a tubular tire yet, i will now! cause i'm buying some clinchers. cause getting the shop to change a tubular gets expensive after the third flat. sad to let them go though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.