Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike to Afghanistan

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi (I'm new). I'm sure that this has been covered, but I needed some quick advice, if someone could help.

My son is in Afghanistan, and he wants me to send him a mountain bike. He's 6'4" and weighs probably 265...

Can anyone recommend the toughest, biggest and strongest bike I could buy online, and less than $1,000US, if possible?

Your recommendations appreciated...
Old 08-05-09, 12:03 PM
=microburst=

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would probably check out a 29er for someone his size, and a hardtail for durability and less fuss. For your budget, check out the Jamis Durango, and the Gary Fisher Mamba, or the Marin Alpine Trail 29er. Of these, the Jamis has the best drivetrain.

For outright bulletproof-ness, you might check out the single-speed Surly Karate Monkey. 29" wheels, steel frame instead of alum, and very few components to break as it is single-speed. Might be a bit pricey, and hard to find.

I know I'll also get crap for this, but check out the Motobecane Fantom 29Pro SL from Bikesdirect. It's got a much nicer fork and a much better drivetrain, but not the same reputation as the other brands. It's a lot of value though.

Edit: Also found the Kona Unit. Chromoly frame, 2-spd 29er. And it's in your price-range.

Last edited by n00bL35; 08-05-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
All great suggestions above. This gets my vote: https://www.rei.com/product/784911
Old 08-05-09, 05:33 PM
foolishly delirious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the new 2010 Specialized Hardrock Comp...
29 in ch wheels
big tube aluminum frame
disc brakes...
front suspension...
brand new $600
i am adding one to my inventory soon! awesome bike! (i am 6'6" 275)
Old 08-05-09, 05:36 PM
"STAT"

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salutes to your son.
Old 08-06-09, 05:25 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
All great suggestions above. This gets my vote: https://www.rei.com/product/784911
Not a 29er.

I just shopped for a MTB for my 6'1" 215lb son to take to college and most people and the local shop recommended a 29er for big guys.
Old 08-07-09, 11:27 PM
foolishly delirious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Not a 29er.

I just shopped for a MTB for my 6'1" 215lb son to take to college and most people and the local shop recommended a 29er for big guys.
read the original post...

he is 6'4" 265... yeah just a little guy (sorry if I sounded a little buttheady) wasn't tryin to be mean.

but 6'4" 265 IS a BIG GUY...

get the Hardrock 29 ("freekin sweet!" Peter Griffin)

Last edited by RatedZeroHero; 08-08-09 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you tell us where in afghanistan he is?

I ask because I'm in afghanistan right now and had considered shipping a bike over before I left the states. I didn't end up shipping my bike over because of logistical issues, but I think I've got a good idea on what would work.

Theres constant blowing dust/sand in the summer and of the many bikes I've seen on my base, most of their drivetrains are being destroyed. There's also probably nowhere he can store it inside, so it will be subject to the elements at all time.

It also may be difficult, base dependant, for your son to ship the bike back once he's done. Trust me...when its time to leave, people will ditch just about anything here to get home easier/quicker!

I don't mean to discourage you from sending your son a bike by any means. I would just hate to see a $1000 bike get either destroyed by or had to be left in afghanistan. I think your best bet would be to find a used, but reliable, steel frame bike that could be left in country once your son leaves.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 08-10-09, 05:21 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re

Originally Posted by sced
Not a 29er.

This one is very well.