Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Shoe / clipless question

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Shoe / clipless question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 03:55 PM
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe / clipless question

Hi all,

I currently run a Rockhopper Pro, which I would like to fit some Specialized clipless pedal too, but am also looking for a road bike which I also intend to run clipless on.
Question is, is there 1 pair of shoes a guy could use that would work pretty well on both the MTB and road bike?
I'm not doing anything hardcore on either bike, just riding for fun at the moment.

Thanks
Stu
Old 08-08-09, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Any decent mountain bike shoe should work well provided that you fit pedals that accept same type of cleats to both bikes.
Old 08-09-09, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
There is such a shoe. However the shoe is more dependent on the cleat system you decide to use. In this case you would should probably go to the lowest common denominator. An MTB shoe will be able to fill both rolls. A road shoe would be hard pressed to fill the MTB roll. Additionally, MTB shoes are pretty much always better for walking around, because there are times you have to walk when riding MTB's. Road shoes on the other hand are made for pure riding.

Pick your shoe type, road or MTB, pick a cleat system and mount a pair of pedals that use that cleat to each bike. Some cleat systems have both an MTB pedal and a road pedal.
Old 08-09-09, 09:47 AM
"Fred" in training :)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SPD system seems to work well for both road and MTB. Then it just depends on what shoe you like and that it accepts the cleat. You may want to check out the road forum, there are numerous threads there about cleats, shoes, differences in the cleat systems, etc.

For what it is worth I use the SPD on both my MTB and road bike and like them.
Old 08-09-09, 03:31 PM
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks everyone !
I already have some nice Specialized SPD pedals, so I think a set for the road bike and find some nice shoes and I'll be set !

Stu