Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My auto mechanic was killed yesterday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 08:43 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

This one just kicked me in the stomach this morning. My auto mechanic was killed yesterday afternoon riding his motorcycle. He was riding on a lightly traveled road and a car coming from the opposite direction turned directly in front of him. My mechanic came off the bike and flew inside the car on the passenger side and was killed instantly. His wife was on the bike with him and flew off the bike and the last I heard was touch and go at a local hospital.He was only 44. I've been in a funk all day. Not so much over losing my trusted mechanic but losing someone I enjoyed visiting and trusted.He had ridden motorcycles since he was 16 and loved them. He was a terrific mechanic and an even better person. He tried to fix things that were broken instead of always replacing them. He ordered parts for me when I wanted to do the work myself. He'd turn rotors for me whenever I did my brake work-and not charge me. I think he always knew I'd be back in letting him correct my mistakes. I could bring my used oil by his place and dump it in his tank any time of the day. He had a laptop but didn't really know how to use it.......and didn't really want to learn how.He's been one of the reasons my van's still running strong after 500,000+ miles. I have several cars with lots of mileage and he was always very accomodating to me and my family. He'd always jump right on my vehicles when it seemed there were other vehicles ahead of ours. He would let my kids pick up their cars from his shop without paying and I'd come by later or call him with a credit card to square things up.Just last week I had to order an air conditioning compressor and related equipment for my daughter's vehicle who lives in Tucson. He took the time to do some research and gave me guidance on what I needed.We included him on our celebration when my van turned over 500,000 miles a couple months ago. I have a picture with the two of us standing outside his shop and in front of the van.I know he was on a motorcycle.........but its another accident where a vehicle turned in front of someone. My cycling buddy last Thanksgiving. Red Baron within the last few weeks. Now my Auto Mechanic. A bike ride tonight just didn't seem to break the funk. Darn. Darn. Darn.Ride safe and pay attention to those oncoming cars!Edit/Update: his wife died late yesterday-such a tragedy. I remembered I had this picture we made the day my van hit 500,000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Barry and Van.jpg (102.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by jppe; 08-11-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 09:12 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Man, life can change in an instant. Cars turning in front of motorcycles seems to present a great risk.

Just last Saturday a rider on our bicycling team was hit by his neighbor who turned left into his driveway and hit the cyclist coming the other way. He told us that he had just put a new cassette on his bike and went onto the street to make sure the adjustments were set correctly. Three houses down, the neighbor turned left and took him out. Because he didn't plan to ride anywhere he didn't put a helmet on and scrapped his skull on the pavement when he rolled. Luckily no brain damage but he did break several ribs.
Old 08-10-09, 09:22 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that...

Did he have any kids?

I hope his wife is OK.

Is it wrong to hate cars? Seriously, I cannot wait for the age of the automobile to die. I just hope that I live to see it.
Old 08-10-09, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

This is a good reminder for all of us, when we are behind the wheel or on two wheels.
Old 08-10-09, 10:17 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very sorry, what a terrible loss. It's extremely difficult to lose someone so suddenly to an accident -- like a hard punch in the stomach, it takes the breath away.
Old 08-10-09, 11:50 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sorry to hear that - way too close to home.

"Left hooks" are super scary; a good reminder for all of us.
Old 08-11-09, 12:41 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Terrible...Sorry for your loss. This stuff happens to two wheeled vehicles. Most of us have experienced cars making too sharp a turn for no reason..
Any news on what will happen to the driver. Was he charged.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 08-11-09, 04:07 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP.... really sorry to hear about your friend/mechanic. Very sad and it does hit close to home. Casn happen in a flash.

Originally Posted by alicestrong
Seriously, I cannot wait for the age of the automobile to die. I just hope that I live to see it.
Please are you serious?
Old 08-11-09, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! life is short and friends are rare.

My question is "Whats going to happen to the driver of the car?" .... probably nothing

I’m a commercial driver, it’s my living. In my opinion people need to take driving way more seriously. We all need to slow down “Speed limits are not suggestions”.
Drivers don’t make left turns for no reasons. But! They/we drive without thinking about driving.
I challenge any of you drive your car one day and don’t exceed the posted speed limit. Then post about your experience.

Last edited by semsd; 08-11-09 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 05:34 AM

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good mechanic is much like a good family doctor. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
Old 08-11-09, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by semsd
I challenge any of you drive your car one day and don’t exceed the posted speed limit. Then post about your experience.
I do it every day. I get tailgated, passed, honked at, given the "look", etc. I don't care. I'm in no real hurry most of the time. Plus I have a new driver in the family and would like to set a good example.

Sorry to hear about your friend, he sounds more of a friend than a mechanic. Keep riding, it will help.
Old 08-11-09, 07:40 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Anyone who preferred "repair" over "replace" would have been a good friend and kindred spirit of mine. My condolences to all who knew this fine fellow.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-11-09, 07:43 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Originally Posted by leob1
I do it every day. I get tailgated, passed, honked at, given the "look", etc. I don't care. I'm in no real hurry most of the time. Plus I have a new driver in the family and would like to set a good example. ...
Pretty much the same here. On a freeway in light traffic, I like to set the cruise control at 65mph and hang out in the next-to-rightmost lane. I would never try this in the left/fast lane.
Old 08-11-09, 07:48 AM
feros ferio

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
... Cars turning in front of motorcycles and bicycles present a great risk.

Just last Saturday a rider on our bicycling team was hit by his neighbor who turned left into his driveway and hit the cyclist coming the other way. ... Three houses down, the neighbor turned left and took him out. ...
In 100k mi of bicycling, my one collision with a motor vehicle was a similar left cross, with the oncoming motorist turning left across my path, into a driveway. Make yourself as visible as possible in your clothing and your positioning on the road, and be ready to make a quick turn or even to lay the bike down, either of which is better than a full-force collision. If a motorcyclist riding in the center of the traffic lane and displaying a bright headlamp can be overlooked by a left-turning motorist, a bicyclist certainly can.
Old 08-11-09, 08:41 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
Please are you serious?

Absolutely.

But that's a whole 'nother thread.
Old 08-11-09, 08:48 AM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me guess... the driver was on the cell phone or texting somebody. Leading cause of accidents these days. I fear those drivers even more than the ones who drink.
Old 08-11-09, 09:05 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by spoke50
Let me guess... the driver was on the cell phone or texting somebody. Leading cause of accidents these days. I fear those drivers even more than the ones who drink.
It will certainly be interesting to know. The driver was also hospitalized for injuries.
Old 08-11-09, 09:13 AM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Niked
A good mechanic is much like a good family doctor.
Agree 100%. One of the first things I look for when I moved.

Originally Posted by John E
Anyone who preferred "repair" over "replace" would have been a good friend and kindred spirit of mine.
With the plug and play mentality today repairing seems to be a dying art. You first have to determine how stuff works.......

[QUOTE=alicestrong;9460495]Did he have any kids?

I hope his wife is OK.QUOTE]

A 14yr old daughter with his first wife.

See update on his wife.

Originally Posted by leob1
he sounds more of a friend than a mechanic.
I think that just dawned on me as I was putting together the post........he got a kick out of hearing about my cycling stuff......he made the usual remark about riding a motorcycle 100 miles but could not imagine riding a bike that far.

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes.
Old 08-11-09, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
seriously, i cannot wait for the age of the automobile to die. I just hope that i live to see it.
+1
Old 08-11-09, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Sorry to hear this, jppe. It's sad that people don't take driving more seriously and realize they could kill someone.
Old 08-11-09, 10:59 AM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So sorry to hear this. As a lifelong motorcyclist, and recently adding bicycling, I worry more about this type of accident than any other

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Terrible...Sorry for your loss. This stuff happens to two wheeled vehicles. Most of us have experienced cars making too sharp a turn for no reason..
Any news on what will happen to the driver. Was he charged.
With what? Negligence isn't against the law. In this type of collision, the first thing out of the driver's mouth invariably is "Oh my God...I never saw him!"

Such a senseless waste of lives.
Old 08-11-09, 02:17 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your lose.
Old 08-11-09, 02:48 PM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible news. Stories like this are very upsetting. Our prayers are with his wife and family.
Old 08-11-09, 03:06 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My condolences and, its always sad to hear of a traffic fatality, especially when its a friend. I keep hoping as two wheeled machines (especially bicycles) become more prevalent in todays society, that people will become more cognizant and attentive of us. But it doesn't seem like its happening.
Old 08-11-09, 10:37 PM

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Bike Friday tikit, Disc Trucker, Specialized Crosstrail, Raleigh M50, a bunch of get-around-to-thems

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You honored the man by remembering him to us. Thank you. We should all do so well by another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.