Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need help oicking out a bike? ROCKHOPPER OR HARDROCK

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-09, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey everyone im new in to the mt bikes and am going to get into it im 20 years old 187lbs and use to BMX. i live in MN way up north. im looking for a good bike that will be great on paved trails going around town and not getting me tired fast, also bom down some hills hit some jumps here and there not to often tho. i want to get a specialized but dont know what to get or what size? rockhopper or hardrock that is the big Q i was thinking of getting one of the two and putting slicks on it for town and paved trail riding also keep the agesave tires for when i hit the pits and hills with my friends!

im 6 feet tall exact at 187lbs right now i plan on lossing weaight with the bike. what size should i get a 19 or 21

the bike im looking at are the rock hopper, the rock hopper comp disc, or any of the hard rocks there in my pric range i kinda want disc brakes but tell me what i should be looking at im looking at the hard rock sport disc right now and putting slicks on it yes or no ????
Old 08-13-09, 05:39 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The Hardrock will be fine. I think the Rockhopper frame is slightly lighter, but not much. If you want the bike to be more comfortable on the road, get the 21. If you want to be more comfortable on the trails, get the 19. I would get the disk model, but only because when you break your fork at the dirt jumps, it will be easier to get a replacement that takes a disk brake. I was recently forced to convert to a disk up front on my mountain bike because nothing was available that would accept V-brakes.
Old 08-13-09, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks i think im going to go with the hardrock sport disc other then the rockhopper now just need to find out if i should get it in a 19 or 21? i tride a 21 it seemed really big but it fit me nice im just not use to that size of a bike
Old 08-14-09, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what if i waned to enter into a mt race would the 19 or 21 be better?
Old 08-14-09, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
They are both in your range. Ride them both back to back and see which one you like better. For a road fit, it is usually best to get the biggest frame you can ride, for off road it is best to get a slighly smaller frame so you have more standover and can move around on it a little more.