Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekai 1000 Sports series? 7spd Shiman?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Hey guys,

I found a bike on craigslist. He says its a mid '80s Sekai and it says "1000" and "Sports Series" on it. He also says its a 7speed (so i assume 7 in the rear so a 14 spd?) and has Shimano RX700 "drivetrain and brakes".

Supposedly its clean and working great and has a new rear wheel and bottom bracket. Think its any good? He's asking $200 for it, which is a bit steep in my book.
Old 08-14-09, 04:04 PM

anyone?
Old 08-14-09, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts
Sekai

I have had a couple Sekai road bikes and they aren't bad frames but the components aren't usually that great. I would offer $150, most road bikes in roadworthy condition are worth that much at least.
Old 08-14-09, 06:04 PM

cool thanks. any idea what the frame is made of? he said its cromo, but i'm not sure if theres a sticker or how he knows, etc. think its butted?
Old 08-17-09, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts
found this in the archives, hope it helps.

"Adam, I have just returned from holiday and have taken a look at a Sekai catalog from the late 1970s. The seat tube and head tube decals match, so the era appears to be correct. Based on the stamped dropouts and single braze-on for the rear derailleur cable stop, the frame is limited to three models, the 1000, 500 & 400. These are the 3 bottom models in the lightweight line-up.

Fortunately, the Sekai specs are very complete and we can futher segrate the models based on seat tube diameter. The 1000 uses Tange, hi-tensile, single butted tubing and employed a 26.2mm seat post. The 500 and 400 use Tange, high carbon, plain gauge tubing and used a 26.0mm seatpost. 0.2mm is not much of a difference, but if you're lucky enough to have the original post, it may be marked with the size and help to distinguish which model you have."
Old 08-17-09, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I assume you or the poster means RX100, which would have used 7 cogs. So it should be a 14 speed, but could conceivably be a 21 speed, as there was a triple crank option. RX100 did not come out until 1990 and was typically found on bicycles in the $600-$700 US price range, which would generally have butted CrMo frames. I imagine that Boston is a strong enough market that $200 is a more than fair price assuming it is in good condition and is OEM.

Having said that, I can find no circa reference to a Sekai 1000 in my 1990 Norco price list, which shows they were offering only Sekai ATB models.

A sport series would certainly imply an entry level model which the 1000 traditionally was. I have seen Sekai 1000, circa 1987/1988 which were Shimano Light Action equipped and having plain gauge, CrMo main frames. These were about $300 US bicycles. If it's one of these, with upgrades, then it does seem priced too high. The giveaway would be wheel size, as these used 27" wheels. If the wheels were upgrades too, then the pads would be sitting quite high in the calipers.
Old 05-23-16, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sakai

They come standard as a ten Speed 5 on Caset he probably doesn't know to much on the math for gear ratios unless he's upgraded it to a 14 witch is good for Brifter upgrades But I'd have to research rear spacing to see about upgrades to 7