Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A moody day turned up-side-down

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I took a little ride today, feeling all depressed and out of sorts. I've got some expensive dental work coming up and the stability of the job is always a question as is the future of our personal little piece of Health Care Coverage. Nothing special, just the normal stuff that makes one depressed a bit from time to time.

The weather was pristine and as I rode into the public park at the beach on Lake Ontario I noticed that it was a little crowded though not too bad. I was glad that I was on the SWB though as the Tour Easy would have been quite cumbersome in the more congested areas. I rode out to the end of the pier and back and then around the park some, mostly at less than 5 mph. Still feeling a bit meloncholy I ambled over to the Carousal to reminisce about bringing the daughters here when they were just little things. As I watched it during the loading process, I began to take notice of the riders. They were all men and probably only about five to ten years older than I. They all needed physical assistance mounting their horses but they were all happy. When the Merry Go Round started moving they all began to whoop and holler and smile, smile, smile. Now I'm not generally a softy, in fact I tend to gloat a bit as I ride by folks half my age who are huffing and puffing after slowly walking less than half a mile.....but as I rode slowly away form the Carousal, suddenly aware of my balance and agility, there was some moisture running from the corners of my eyes. It must have been sweat, yeah that's it...it was sweat, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

At any rate, my problems had dis-appeared. The upcoming bills and the present uncertainties didn't seem very important any more. And deep down inside I secretly hope that the Carousal is still going 'round and 'round with all those happy riders having the time of their lives.
Old 08-14-09, 12:30 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-14-09, 02:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not a great deal to feel cheerfull over here right now. Uncertainty keeps getting in the way of merriment.

But are you certain that the tear did not come from the fact that you wanted to be on the Merry Go-Round too?

And funnily enough today- It is the annual Air show in Eastbourne right now. Lots of noisy planes in the air and lots of things going on. I am working so can't get out to see it---EXCEPT---

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight flew over. WW ll planes in a Lancaster Bomber- A Spitfire and a Hurricane. Those planes may not mean a lot to you but they were the Saviour of Britain at the time. Not many of them left but all I saw initially were the cars stopping at the roadside. Then the SOUND. Merlin engines are distinctive. Then they flew right over our heads at about 500ft. Fantastic and everyone was out of the cars to watch. Traffic stopped for something I have watched time and time again. You can call it nostalgia- but 3pm tomorrow I know where I will be. Down on Eastbourne Seafront- sitting at my usual cafe drinking a Large Black coffee waiting for the memorial flight to appear again. And there may be a few younger people than me wiping the dust out of their eyes aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-14-09, 04:43 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight flew over. WW ll planes in a Lancaster Bomber- A Spitfire and a Hurricane. Those planes may not mean a lot to you but they were the Saviour of Britain at the time.
Don't count on it for a minute, anyone who studies history knows - those babys were the savior of the free world. You guys held up while we tooled up.
Old 08-14-09, 07:19 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sort of puts a lot of stuff in perspective.
Old 08-14-09, 07:31 PM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thread c_o_d.

I, too, am now facing some expensive dental work for which I have no real budget. Had the root canal Tuesday, and am still recovering from the procedure and the infection (antibiotics appear to be working, thankfully). Might have to cut back in other places soon, and I'm dreading making those decisions.

I went out today to get the mail, and wound up putting in most of 2 hours on the bike. Feels good, even if I did get "pink arm" from lack of sunscreen. My attitude turned around somewhere on the ride, and I'm feeling ok this evening.