Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Turning signals on bikes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 02:20 PM
Hills scare me.

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not quite bad at soldering and making simple electronics. I could make some car-style turning signal lights on a bike, should I do it or not?
Old 08-14-09, 02:43 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
The main issues are visibility under bright daylight conditions and wide enough physical spacing to convey one's intent unambiguously, particularly if used in conjunction with a blinkie or two.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-14-09, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Bad idea. People will leave them on by mistake and cars will cut them off thinking that they are signalling a turn when they intend to go straight.

I learned this very early while riding motorcycles. Leave your left turn signal on by mistake and an approaching car will think you are turning left and left hook you.

It will only work if it has a very loud obnoxious alarm that sounds while the turn signal is on.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 08-14-09, 03:23 PM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was born with two turn signals.
Old 08-14-09, 09:52 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My thoughts last year: https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=66

From this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...59#post7311859

Cliff's notes: I think that if you're in a position where you need a turn signal to be safer, you're dependent on the ability of others to pay attention and decipher what they're seeing. I don't put that kind of trust in people on the street.

Another post I made in a later thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...3&postcount=14
Old 08-14-09, 11:44 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mushrooshi
I'm not quite bad at soldering and making simple electronics. I could make some car-style turning signal lights on a bike, should I do it or not?
More power to ya!!
Old 08-15-09, 12:28 AM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
meh, I just stick my arms out and point emphatically to tell others where I'm going
Old 08-15-09, 02:43 AM
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use arm signals.

But something I've been thinking of is replacement trailer lights such as is sold in any autoparts store would work well for this. You'd just have to carry enough battery to run them, which is why I haven't done it. You'd also have to rig up some way to mount them to the bike so they would be far enough apart, but that wouldn't be difficult.

The LED replacement trailer lights would make great taillights.
Old 08-15-09, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid I had a turn signal unit for my bike, so they do exist.
Old 08-15-09, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laggard
I was born with two turn signals.
Good point, I always thought bright colored cycling gloves would be good at night.
Old 08-15-09, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
...Cliff's notes: I think that if you're in a position where you need a turn signal to be safer, you're dependent on the ability of others to pay attention and decipher what they're seeing. I don't put that kind of trust in people on the street...
me either. I go when I have enough room to do it.

On rare occasions when traffic is very heavy and very slow, and I want to turn, I get the attention of the driver and make sure he gives me the room I need before I go.

It just kills me when I see someone just stick an arm out and go (they probably think it's a safe thing to do too!)
Old 08-15-09, 12:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm adding front and rear turn signals and a rear brake light. I just ordered affordable, amber strobes with 22 LEDs on each strobe light (yes, they're coming from Hong Kong, but a pair of strobes for under $7.00, with the controller, was far cheaper that what I could find from sellers here). I want something bright enough to be seen in daylight. I've come to the conclusion that most younger drivers have no comprehension of hand signals after a number waved when I was signaling a right turn and they definitely don't understand the hand signal for stop. I think it's time for safety regs to be updated and require turn signals and brake lights, especially on power-assisted bicycles. Let's face it, turn signals and brake lights have been required on cars for such a long period, most drivers on the road today have no reason to know hand signals.
Old 08-15-09, 01:57 PM
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that that turn signals would be largely overlooked, unless they were somehow überbright.

Arms convey the message far better, imho.
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
Old 08-15-09, 03:03 PM
rwp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
More power to ya!!
My sentiments exactly. If you put something together that works well - give us a description with some pics or video.
Old 08-15-09, 03:13 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only reason that I've been tempted toward electric turn signals is the inability of drivers to understand the signal for a right turn. (Hard to believe they don't understand, but it seems to be the case)

Maybe I'll try using the hand-up right turn signal with my hand curved over my head, index finger pointing to my right. The stop signal might be used with all fingers spread in an obvious "stop" gesture.

Electric turn signals are still tempting, but I'm afraid that anything that is really up to the job will require quite a battery.
Old 08-15-09, 05:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When drivers don't understand arm signals, they don't mean a thing. Like I said in my previous post, younger drivers who've seen me signaling a right turn have thought I'm waiving. Given how long turn signals and brake lights have been mandated safety equipment on cars, most drivers under 30 don't even understand hand signals. It's cold comfort that we cyclists may know hand signals, but if the operators of larger vehicles don't, their use is irrelevant and dangerous.

New lighting technology enables clear views of turn signals both during the day and at night. I really think it's time that safety regulations require turn signals and brake signals on bicycles. The amber strobe lights I've ordered to use as turn signals have 22 bright LEDs on each strobe and the units are good-sized--4 inches by 2 1/2 inches. They'll be visible in daylight and highly visible at night. The brake light will have 9 super bright LEDs. I already have double bright head lamps and a battery-powered LED tail light. I will be adding spoke lights as well. At dawn, dusk and nighttime, you can't have too many lights.
Old 08-15-09, 05:25 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I always use my right arm to signal right turn. The standard right turn signal seems like it's designed for use while piloting a left-hand drive automobile.

I used to have a turn signal back on my bike back in the late 70s, thought it was the coolest thing ever. It wasn't really effective, though.'

Perhaps a single LED flashing on the handlebar-mounted control switch (I'm guessing this is what will be used) would be an adequate reminder that you've a signal on.

Chevron indicators like I've seen on some SUV/truck sideview mirrors would be nice, I'd think.
Old 08-15-09, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I was actually going to mention this in my "oh hi I'm a huge n00b" post. So, here's what I would've said:

And why has no one invented turn signals for bikes? I hate arm signals. Not only do I feel they look dumb, but I don't trust most drivers to know what they mean anyway since they're so scarcely used. Half of them will probably think I'm flipping them off (we won't go into the safety implications of that). A blinking turn signal, everyone understands.

I thought of this on my ride today when waiting to turn left into the driveway of our complex; another car was coming and I stopped, just as I would've in my car, but the driver probably wondered for a split second why I was stopping. But what was I to do, stand there with my arm out until she was past? She probably would've thought I wanted a high-five!

If there's little traffic, no problem. If I'm already in the left-turn lane, no problem. Simple right turn, no problem. But what about changing lanes in traffic? Maybe it's not as difficult on a bike as in a car, I dunno, but sometimes my turn signal is the only thing that gets me space to move over in heavy traffic (and sometimes it just signals other drivers to speed up so they don't have to let me in--boy do they get pissed when I nudge in anyway! But that is SO not possible on a bike).
Old 08-15-09, 07:07 PM
Hills scare me.

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorcycles have turn signals placed on the handlebars; if people can understand motorcycle turn signals, shouldn't they kind of think 'Hey, those lights on the left are blinking, its yellow like a turn signal, and I've seen them on motorcycles. Hes turning left'. Even in America, I'd hope people aren't thinking. "Those flashing decals are tacky"
Old 08-15-09, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
Good point, I always thought bright colored cycling gloves would be good at night.
I took a piece of yellow reflective 3M tape and taped a piece of cloth duct tape to the back, then sewed that to the back of one pair of cycling gloves.
Old 08-16-09, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here you go: wireless turn signals w/ iPod charger!

https://craziestgadgets.com/2009/08/1...-ipod-charger/
Old 08-16-09, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
It just kills me when I see someone just stick an arm out and go (they probably think it's a safe thing to do too!)

That seems to be what most do in their cars.
Old 08-16-09, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In California we're allowed to signal a right turn with our right arm. I just point right.

https://www.gloglov.com/index.html
Old 08-16-09, 10:18 AM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to signal a right turn by sticking out my right arm. The old fashioned method results in too many people waving back at me.

By the way, as a kid in the 70s I can recall electric turn signals being sold for bikes.
Old 08-16-09, 12:41 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linkon654
I think that if you're in a position where you need a turn signal to be safer, you're dependent on the ability of others to pay attention and decipher what they're seeing. I don't put that kind of trust in people on the street.

Ashley Madison
Why am I reminded of the Simpsons episode where all the lonely men are on a party line and Apu says "I don't think there are any women on this line."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.