Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

help me evaluate a 1994 Giant CFR-1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 05:35 PM
Back on the pedal

Bikes: Giant, Raleigh Record Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rode one of these after work. Dude wants 325 for it. I think it's overpriced but what does the forum say?

It rode nicely, shifts fine, no wobbles, braked ok. the owner is a guy that resells bikes and sounds like he knows his stuff. he said the bike is just like it came from giant in 94.

now, this is the bad i noticed: the tires don't match but appear to have decent tread. there are nicks and scratches everywhere and the paint is faded. the brake handles (risers?) have deep gouges in the sides. its got some cheap rattrap pedals on it.

What does the forum think the bike is worth? If anyone needs more info I can try and get it.

Thanks!

Brett
Old 08-14-09, 06:27 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Tires don't match, cheap pedals so what.
But a vintage carbon fiber frame with nicks and scratches? Now you've got my attention. Without a personal examination, I'd be real careful.
Assuming the frame passes an assessment by a competent LBS bike mechanic, an Ultegra STI 8 speed bike will sell for over $300 around here. Carbon fiber, even vintage CF is worth something, so I'd say maybe up to $400? So at $325, I'd say that's a fair price given its not pristine.
One note about Ultegra/600 STI shifters, they are probably the most overlooked quality shifters out there. Everyone goes nuts over Dura-Ace but overlooks the Shimano 600/Ultegra groupo. I have a pair along with an RX100 set, a 105 set, I've had SORA and I have an RSX 7 speed. The 600/Ultegra are the smoothest shifting units of all the older shifters that I have.
EDIT: Here's the link to describe that bike https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...FR-1&Type=bike

Last edited by roccobike; 08-14-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 07:24 PM
Back on the pedal

Bikes: Giant, Raleigh Record Ace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I look for on the frame?
Old 08-15-09, 05:22 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Look for cracks around the lugs. Cosmetic stuff can be repaired, but the lug/tube connection is important, and cracks are bad news.

Tires and pedals are what bke resellers take OFF if they're good, put ON if they're disposable.

roccobike is dead on about 600/Ultegra STI shifters. I have idetical sets of 8-sp STI's, one in 600, one in DA. The 600 is simply a quicker, lighter shifting version of the DA, for some reason, maybe lube, but it's like that.

I'd look the bike over and confirm the frame condition as pass/fail.

Then, I'd look it over again, ignore the frame and look at components. Make a list of needed vs. OK.

If the frame was fine, cosmetically repairable, and the components were fine, I'd go $275 and negotiate up using tires and pedals. Pedals are very often not sold, personal items, so you won't get much traction there. Tires, you can use as a bargaining point.

I'm like rocco..when I see a bike for sale, I look at it with modern STI in mind, and what kind of bike will it be after the upgrade, condition and investment-wise? Then I either pass or pull the trigger. I don't buy bikes, hoping to make them better at a reasonable cost. I either can or can't.