Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Getting (re)started

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Getting (re)started

Old 02-18-02, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting (re)started

Hi. Am 57 & started bike commuting about years ago & try to get in 50-100 mi. per week. Two years ago, I trained w/ Team-in-Training & did a century at Tahoe with them. This year, some assorted locals are getting together to do the Markleeville Challenge (Death Ride) in July. It would be far beyond what I have ridden before, but I am going to start training as soon as my shoulder, which I injured recently, heals.

I live in Santa Clara. There are mountains to the East and West, the weather is usually OK, and there are interested riders of all levels to ride with.

I ride a Trek 7900 hybrid, which seems to go with my age and size- 215 lb. Recently got some great wheels built by Shaw's cycles. Them puppies is sturdy.

P.S. My wreck was caused by ignoring worn out cogs when replacing the chain.
Old 02-18-02, 06:24 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bikeforums Grizz! You'll like it here!
Old 02-18-02, 07:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hi!! Welcome.

I am curious as to why you have relegated yourself to a hybrid?? I am 62 years old, weigh about 225 lbs and have ridden a Lemond Buenos Aires road bike (GREAT BIKE) for 3 years and 6,600 miles without a bit of wheel trouble, using stock Mavic 32 spoke wheels. I think someone has you convinced that you need special wheels for your weight. You don't. (When I first got the bike I had the wheel spokes properly tensioned by the LBS)

P.S. I also have a Specialized Mtn Bike with 6,600 miles also with never replaced stock Hard Rock 36 spoke wheels (althoug I seem to have just a little bit if a bearing sound from the front wheel, my LBS says NOT TO WORRY!!) He pulled the bearings and inspected them and says they have a couple of thousand more miles in them.

Anyway, if you are going to do serious road riding, dump the hybrid. Get a road bike.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-18-02 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, let's see. Denvr. I more or less selected the hybrid (by the way, that was 5 years ago) because I wanted something general purpose that would be good, for example, riding loaded during commutes that start at 5:30am in an urban area. The carbon tubes make it seem pretty sporty, at least to me.
I had many broken spokes and nipples pulled out of wheels. Many of the spokes broke at the bend at the hub. My new Phil hubs seem to address that.
I ended up w/a 36-spoke rear w/drive side tied and soldered, but 32 still seems good for the front.
I am considering a road frame for future rides, but my wallet says wait until next season. I tend to hammer when I ride, so I don't plan to stint on critical components. I am riding for 1)safety, 2)fun, 3)exercise, 4)our dear environment. I seem to go fast enough, and perhaps I get more #3 and just as much #2 on a hybrid in the same distance. Truth be told, I am kind of competitive & I love it when I can hang w/ some roadies.
Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe there should be a forum for "Clydesdales"?
Old 02-18-02, 08:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
>>I am considering a road frame for future rides, but my wallet says wait until next season. I tend to hammer when I ride, so I don't plan to stint on critical components. I am riding for 1)safety, 2)fun, 3)exercise, 4)our dear environment. I seem to go fast enough, and perhaps I get more #3 and just as much #2 on a hybrid in the same distance. Truth be told, I am kind of competitive & I love it when I can hang w/ some roadies.
Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe there should be a forum for "Clydesdales"?

I felt the same way when I had only my mtn bike. But, after I got my roadie, WHAT A CHANGE. It truly was a different riding experience.

Sorry about all your wheel trouble. I pound pretty good myself. Guess I have been pretty lucky - also have had a great LBS, who took good care of me.

Have fun.
Old 02-19-02, 03:46 AM
Donating member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are a fair few of us the right side of 200lb

Richard