Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Citizen Metrobike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Citizen Metrobike

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Citizen Metrobike

I am seriously considering the Citizen Metrobike for my commuting needs. I will be taking the bus and then biking about 4 miles one way to classes. Here's the link to the Metrobike: https://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.a...&product_id=21

I know others adore their Citizen Gothams and Miamis, but has anyone purchased one of these?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-09, 08:54 PM
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's another member on the forums by the name of "Freddie". Do a search and you'll find his thread. He just purchased a Metrobike. He seems to like it very much.

BTW, I have a Citizen Tokyo. I would have gotten the Gotham/Metrobike but I needed the smaller wheels of the Tokyo (16"). The bike is built like a little tank but it's low geared which makes it good on hills but quite slow on flats and downhill.
Old 08-16-09, 11:44 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by starbuck
I am seriously considering the Citizen Metrobike for my commuting needs. I will be taking the bus and then biking about 4 miles one way to classes. Here's the link to the Metrobike: https://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.a...&product_id=21

I know others adore their Citizen Gothams and Miamis, but has anyone purchased one of these?

Thanks in advance.
not to discredit the citizen bikes (i used to have the tokyo and love it) but for that price you can check CL. dahon D7 are mostly listed $250-300. i missed out on a dahon helios that was listed for $325. helios is a good buy and it's really light (i think about 19lbs)...

thanks,
vic
Old 08-17-09, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KitN: I have read your many posts about how much you love your Citizen and I have seen pictures of it, too. I'll do a search for Freddie. Thanks!

Vic: I did a lot of searching in order to find one that had everything I needed within my budget. I am a bike who** and own 3 bikes, but needed something that I could fold up conveniently and take on the bus just in case there were no available bike racks, plus it is already set up with fenders & a rack, which saves me time and $. Unfortunately in order to get what I wanted/needed from Dahon would have cost a lot more, and I am a poor grad student so I just couldn't afford it. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-17-09, 08:37 AM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
KitN: I have read your many posts about how much you love your Citizen and I have seen pictures of it, too. I'll do a search for Freddie. Thanks!

Vic: I did a lot of searching in order to find one that had everything I needed within my budget. I am a bike who** and own 3 bikes, but needed something that I could fold up conveniently and take on the bus just in case there were no available bike racks, plus it is already set up with fenders & a rack, which saves me time and $. Unfortunately in order to get what I wanted/needed from Dahon would have cost a lot more, and I am a poor grad student so I just couldn't afford it. Thanks for your input!
understand and no need to apologize about not being able to buy a more expensive bike. i myself started with the tokyo and that bike opened a new door of biking for me. in fact that bike started my folderitis (so be careful). there are cheaper dahon bikes that you can get or buy at CL. if used bike is an option for you, try scanning the ads at CL and who knows you might get the bike that you want at a bargain...good luck and whatever bike you choose, i bet you you'll have fun. just remember to send pics of your new bike...
Old 08-18-09, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, yes, but in my area, there are no such things as "folders". If there are (which I have been checking), they are ungodly and ridiculously expensive ($400.00+). Believe me, if someone was selling a top one for cheap, I would be all over that bad boy!
Old 08-18-09, 07:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks pretty cool! good price,
why dont they come with high psi wheels? the wheels i see there seem a bit mtb'ish

guess it could be a good upgrade for later.
Old 08-18-09, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the style of that MetroBike. Cool color too. I have a mango Tokyo and I love it.
Old 08-18-09, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also consider the new Downtube Nova.
Old 08-20-09, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got it!

Just arrived today, only 4 days after I ordered it! It rides great, easy to unfold, but my husband unfolded it and now I can't figure out how to fold it in the center. I'm kinda freaking out! Are there any citizen owners that can help????
Old 08-20-09, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I got it!
Old 08-20-09, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Just arrived today, only 4 days after I ordered it! It rides great, easy to unfold, but my husband unfolded it and now I can't figure out how to fold it in the center. I'm kinda freaking out! Are there any citizen owners that can help????
Congrats on the new bike! Please keep us informed of how it performs for you, and also participate in this forum as often as you like

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder
Old 08-21-09, 12:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I bought one of these too.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-20-6-SPEE...d=p3286.c0.m14

And I am already thinking about my second bike,
Looking for a cheap bike, my first folder cost me £56 but I had to travel 25 miles to collect it. The second one I am wanting something cheap but different from the first one.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/apollo-folding...d=p3286.c0.m14

G
Old 08-25-09, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The unseen pin that fits in the frame hinge was a bugger for me the first time too. Now, it's second nature to lift up the mechanism after unlocking.
Old 09-02-09, 09:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still enjoying metrobike by citizen

I am still enjoying my Citizen Metrobike/Gotham. Very solidly built. I replaced the seat w/ a Cloud 9 for $25 including shipping from Amazon.. but mgiht have gotten away w/ old seat if tried other positions.. i don't know.. happy w/ new seat! As mentioned b4, gearing is not hard enuf, but bike does move fast if u peddle fast! I might soon replace rear cog w/ smaller one, which i hear is like $50 tops (and necessitates new wheel I hear).. we shall see! The bike is solid and pretty fast. Not as small or light as ud think, but not bad at all! Might even start using for its intended purpose soon .. getting on and off train w/ it. we shall see. will prob try to find a cheap road bike too soon.. I do want that massive speed, which will be like 2x the speed of this thing. But i do love this bike.. it is a little jewel! And my original purpose was to have a bike that is good to work out in the rain with. Of course , the minute I got the bike it stopped raining!! But I'm not complaining! It is a beautiful work of art, and comfortable too! I lower the handlebars all the way, and get up off seat, but I am short (5'4).. Tall peeps need to raise handle bar and seat.. Enjoy!!! - F
Old 09-03-09, 07:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just wanted to chime-in and say that I looked at a brand-new Citizen off Craigslist. Having purchased a 2 year old Downtube FS off Craigslist a week prior I was surprised at the cheap-ness (is that a word) of the frame, handlepost, etc. of the new Citizen compared to the "budget" Downtube. Some of it looked like it would bend or fall apart after the first ride. The handlepost didn't line-up when unfolded and it was pretty flimsy otherwise.

Incidentally, I didn't buy the Citizen, but I might have if my budget didn't allow for a more solid bike.
Old 09-03-09, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bontrager
Just wanted to chime-in and say that I looked at a brand-new Citizen off Craigslist. Having purchased a 2 year old Downtube FS off Craigslist a week prior I was surprised at the cheap-ness (is that a word) of the frame, handlepost, etc. of the new Citizen compared to the "budget" Downtube. Some of it looked like it would bend or fall apart after the first ride. The handlepost didn't line-up when unfolded and it was pretty flimsy otherwise.

Incidentally, I didn't buy the Citizen, but I might have if my budget didn't allow for a more solid bike.
Seriously I am suspicious of the intention of your post, particularly because it comes right on the tail of a positive review of the Citizenbike MTA Metrobike. Sorry I don't mean to shine a spotlight on you, but give us more data about this alleged encounter with this Citizenbike you found on Craigslist. What model was it? How old is it? Was it in "very used" condition, or fairly new looking? You did say "brand new Citizen".

I know the Downtube FS is a very solid bike, no question about that. In fact, it's probably a little "over engineered", and that's why it's no lightweight. But at the same time, I refuse to believe that the Citizenbike is of such bad quality as you claim. Your impression sounds too "artificial' or exaggerated.

Taking cheap shots at the Citizenbike, especially in this forum which is known for that, is a little too obvious, don't you think? Prove me wrong. Please enlighten us.

Edward Wong III
Old 09-03-09, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Handpost alignment is adjustable. Fold the handlepost and the quill bolt becomes available for loosening and tightening.
Old 09-03-09, 01:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edwong3
Seriously I am suspicious of the intention of your post, particularly because it comes right on the tail of a positive review of the Citizenbike MTA Metrobike. Sorry I don't mean to shine a spotlight on you, but give us more data about this alleged encounter with this Citizenbike you found on Craigslist. What model was it? How old is it? Was it in "very used" condition, or fairly new looking? You did say "brand new Citizen".

I know the Downtube FS is a very solid bike, no question about that. In fact, it's probably a little "over engineered", and that's why it's no lightweight. But at the same time, I refuse to believe that the Citizenbike is of such bad quality as you claim. Your impression sounds too "artificial' or exaggerated.

Taking cheap shots at the Citizenbike, especially in this forum which is known for that, is a little too obvious, don't you think? Prove me wrong. Please enlighten us.

Edward Wong III
Looks like someone is a Citizen Fanboy.

My intention is to let other folding bike noob's (like myself) that are looking for a folding bike and enjoy the build of the Downtube to not bother with the 2009 Citizen Miami, IMO. I have no clue about the Gotham/MTA which is different from the Miami, which might be built better (I don't know which is why I'm not commenting on those).

The Miami I looked at was brand new. Never been on the road yet. It still had some of its cardboard wrapping around some of the tubes. I inspected the folding mechanism of the frame, handlepost, and other critical areas and saw that the steel was forged or bent into the appropriate shape rather than welded and "built up" in those critical areas as my 2 year old used Downtube is and several (overpriced) Dahon's I've seen and ridden. The handlepost area was flimsy when I forced it around while holding the front wheel between my calves. Because I perceived the quality to be significantly less than my Downtube, I didn't even take the Citizen for a ride.

Not taking cheap shots at Citizen - I'm still considering riding the Gotham/MTA if I find one on CL.

As much as I like my Downtube FS, if I saw the new Downtube Nova on craigslist and went to kick the tires and found it was built cheaply, I'd still give it a bad review just the same. I could care less it was made by Downtube, or any other bike company. A cheaply built bike is a cheaply built bike. An inexpensive used quality bike, on the other hand, is a find.
Old 09-03-09, 01:15 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K6-III
Handpost alignment is adjustable. Fold the handlepost and the quill bolt becomes available for loosening and tightening.
There is a lever at the bottom of the folding area that is supposed to mate with and be held by the top of the folding portion. Unless the bottom of the joint and top of the joint are able to be adjusted, I'm guessing that this was just poor build quality.

Also, the mechanism doesn't look very secure if it was even lined-up. I'd rather have a nice heavy duty quick-release, at least, rather than that thing, especially on a steering mechanism!
Old 09-03-09, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bontrager
Looks like someone is a Citizen Fanboy.
Imagine me...a "fanboy" of a brand of which I don't even own one of their products. Imagine how intolerable I would be if I did

Quite frankly, if I were in the market for another 20" folder, I probably would look hard at the DT Nova, but the Gotham or the MTA Metrobike would come a very close second. For under $300, I don't think one can go wrong with any of these machines.

Oh, and yes, as I understand it, the Gotham/MTA Metrobike are equipped significantly better than the Miami you looked at.

Good luck with your search on Craigslist.

Edward Wong III

Last edited by edwong3; 09-03-09 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 08:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Citizen Gotham OR Barcelona for a 6 Ft Tall Passenger

Hello,

I wonder how stringent the height listings are for folders. For example Citizen lists Barcelona for up to 6 ft tall...while Gotham is for up to 6'3". I prefer the Barcelona design but I don't want be squished in the frame.

Thanks for the wisdom!
Old 05-23-10, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding cheap Folders, I've been occasionally seeing ads on Google for GreenZone bikes (https://greenzonebikes.com), company seems to have popped up recently. Stuff they offer seem similar to Citizen, but they don't have much in the way of reviews yet. Anyone encounter one of these yet?
Old 05-24-10, 06:40 PM
Touring with little dogs!

Bikes: Schwinn Touring, Miami Citizens Bike (folding)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to defend the Citizen Miami, I have had mine for a year now and love it! I have not had any problems with it, it is solid & easy to fold & unfold, I also tow a doggie trailer with me or carry one of my dogs on the handlebars. This is my first folder, my other bike is a touring bike that I have had for 15 years and have not touched it since getting the Miami, I do have to say that once you get a folder and ride it you do get hooked!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Maya in front of &.jpg (44.6 KB, 33 views)