Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please Help!

I'm really interested in buying a new single speed bicycle or fixed gear and throwing some brakes onto it. I've looked around a lot online and a few bikes that caught my eye are:

Torker U-District
Windsor Hour
SE Draft

My budget is $250-350.

I want to know your honest opinion on what I should get. I'm open to other options. Right now I have a 1974, 10 speed Schwinn Varsity. It's a nice bike, but the shifters are tough to move and the bike itself is a tank... (37 lbs!) I was wondering what you would do in my situation?
Old 08-17-09, 02:01 PM
Double Agent

Bikes: Fly Pantera, GT GTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep saving and get an IRO. But really just don't get the Draft.
Old 08-17-09, 02:48 PM
chickenosaurus

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hour would require brakes, draft is crappy hi-ten.
I don't know much about the u-district, except it has a sloping top tube (yuck)

Check ou the Clockwork, SST, SST-AL, Messenger on bikesdirect
also, madison and redline 925 can be had for cheap in the boston area if you live anywhere near there.
Old 08-17-09, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with J3ffr3y and your original list -

Only things I'd add:
- check out the stripper Kilo TT (this comes with f/r calipers and cross levers)
- dawes sst (i have this bike now)
- Performance has the Scattante empire state courier (if you find it as deal of the day you can get it for $280 shipped)

Alot of these frames are the same - pick the bike that has the most stock setup (that you want) i.e.: brakes, handlebar, etc.

Regards,
CD
Old 08-17-09, 03:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you mean by "stripper Kilo TT"? because it would be nice to have a bike that comes with some sort of breaks.
Old 08-17-09, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letemshine
what do you mean by "stripper Kilo TT"? because it would be nice to have a bike that comes with some sort of breaks.
It's a new model (2010.) It's called the "Stripper" because its zexy and has no decals. It's the same kilo frame. Except it comes with calipers and cross levers.

If you wanted to go single speed, you would need to get a free wheel.

Regards,
CD
Old 08-17-09, 07:39 PM

Bikes: SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden both the U-District and the Draft. The draft was very heavy (hi-ten frame), but the U-District wasn't bad considering the price. If you just want a single speed for getting around, the U-District would be a decent choice. If you want to get a BikesDirect bike, get either the SST or the Messenger, they both come with brakes.
Old 08-17-09, 08:14 PM
Hella Raw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Astronomical
Keep saving and get an IRO. But really just don't get the Draft.
+1
Or just gen an IRO frameset and build it up with low-end components. Either way, it's better than SE Draft.
2nd choice=BD bike
Old 08-18-09, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chiefdolo
It's a new model (2010.) It's called the "Stripper" because its zexy and has no decals. It's the same kilo frame. Except it comes with calipers and cross levers.
any idea when they'll start selling these?
Old 08-18-09, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go read the thread.
Old 08-21-09, 07:44 PM
touring newbie

Bikes: Sun Kruizer 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the U-District today. It is the first and only bike with skinny tires that I've ever ridden. I almost bought the bike, but I was worried that some of the parts were way sub par. Maybe they aren't. I'm not up on what is quality right now. I didn't think that the brakes worked very well, but the last bike I just sold a bike with Avid BB7's, so I'm used to really good brakes (oh, that bike had tires that were 1.5" wide, Primo Comets, so that was the skinniest tire I had ever ridden).

I like the upward sloping top tube of the Torker, the Redline 925, and the KHS Urban Uno, but I don't know **** compared to members here.

I still may purchase a U-District, just in case I puss out on riding a single speed for transportation use. Also, it has bosses for a rear rack. I can use it for a utility bike if I like riding a single speed, and want to upgrade my go-to bike.

I guess I'm going to take a look at the other bikes that have been mentioned on this thread.

I'm still very tempted by the Redline 925. I like the colors, that the brakes and rims are not painted, and its geometry. I don't know enough about components to comment on them, but a guy at the LBS had some good things to say about the rims/hubs. He was probably just talking up the bike.