Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Pre Ride Carb Loading

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Pre Ride Carb Loading

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Home Spun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pre Ride Carb Loading

In an attempt to lose a few pounds, I have been reducing the intake of bread, pasta, potatos etc.

Through all I have read and simply from experience, I understand how important carbs are before, during and even after a good ride to keep energized. My question is if I layoff the carbs on no ride days but ensure I have them in me the night before or the breakfast before a ride, will that suffice to keep my energy levels peak during ride time?
Old 08-18-09, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably. Try it and see how it works for you.

If your rides are longer than 2-3 hours you will still need calories during the ride.
Old 08-18-09, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Home Spun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericm979
Probably. Try it and see how it works for you.

If your rides are longer than 2-3 hours you will still need calories during the ride.
Thanks. The weight is a goal as well as comfortably doing 3+ hour rides. In no way am I "Adkinsing" my approach. I don't believe in that especially for a cyclist or any athlete for that matter.
Old 08-20-09, 02:00 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
yes, I am fond of bananas and raisins. an eggs sandwich with toast in the am is OK too, but bananas and raisins are my staples. if I'm cycling all-day then a turkey sandwich for lunch is good too. I usually rest for 30 minutes during an all-day event after a meal.

I wouldn't carb-load the night before though
Old 08-20-09, 02:52 PM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
You don't say what type of riding you are doing. From what I've read, carb loading takes several days, and is only essential for rides at peak performance and/or long duration. Unless you are racing, or riding more than 3-4 hours, you should not need it. But, as Eric said, if you are riding more than maybe 90 minutes, you should eat a little as you go to prevent bonking, a couple hundred calories an hour.
Old 08-20-09, 02:59 PM
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
grapes have
TONS of carbs, fill a baggie and stuff them in your back pocket.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 08-21-09, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grapes? A whole cup of the things only have 62 calories. See https://nutrition.about.com/od/fruits...s/p/grapes.htm . 15g of carbs though.

IMO, you want something that is dense in calories for a small amount on a longer ride IMO so small amounts will give you the energy you need without having to stuff your face. Something like dates give a long more bang for their size if you are looking at fruit.
Old 08-21-09, 08:29 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
'Carbo-loading', as it was defined in the 70's (IIRC) has been largely abandoned for a number of reasons. Here are a few:

1. To trick your body into absorbing more carbs than normal you have to deplete it to a severe degree, over the course of days. This is extremely detrimental to training during this time and can screw up a nice taper.

2. To store the extra carbs it means you are also storing a ton of extra water. Do you really want to feel all bloated during your ride?

Eat some carbs before your ride and allow time to digest. Then eat some during your ride and a bit after.

if you're not riding that day cut back.

Avoid white rice, noodle, bread and stick to whole grain or brown versions when you do.