Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Trek into Fixie? Am I a ******?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I really want a fixed gear.

I have a Trek 7.2FX now which is a road bike without drop bars basically. It's similar to the Soho just a cheaper bike. It has 24 gears and I want to convert it into a fixie and just leave the front brake. If I asked them to do this at a bike store would they think I was crazy? How much would it cost me for the new crank and labor?

Thanks Alot
Old 08-18-09, 11:46 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are better off just buying a new bike. That Trek will not be able to be converted. It has vertical dropouts which make it virutally impossible to run FG unless you are willing to drop serious $ on an eno eccentric hub. Just sell it on CL and buy a bike that was made for FG use. Even an old road bike w/ horizontal drop outs would work, but the bike you have will not work. Save yourself the headache.

EDIT: Or, if you have an extra $350 lying around, just buy a kilo TT from www.bikesdirect.com. It's a pretty good fixie.

I <3 fixies
Old 08-18-09, 11:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
welll ****tt

I might just ride this baby around for a while... just got some red oury grips and thinking about getting a red velo saddle to match.

how much faster is a fixed gear than a 24 speed?
Old 08-18-09, 11:54 PM
Bicylisk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bike would be quite expensive and difficult to convert. Your bike has vertical dropouts, a common feature on many geared bikes. What this means to your fixed gear pursuit is that you have no way of tensioning your chain without a derailleur present; fixed gears use horizontal dropouts or track fork ends that allow you to move the axle back and forth to tension the chain, while your bike relies on the derailleur to provide chain tensioning.

That said, it IS possible to convert your bike to a fixed gear. There are two ways of doing this: finding a 'magic' gear, and getting an eccentric hub wheel built. Eccentric hubs are expensive, but they work: it would probably cost half of what your bike originally did to get an eccentric hub wheel built, and then you would likely have mismatching wheels!
Old 08-18-09, 11:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmmm well then sounds like a hopeless dream!!

I might just take it in to my LBS anyway and see what they say.
Old 08-19-09, 12:07 AM

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpc1192
how much faster is a fixed gear than a 24 speed?
Multi-speed bikes are "faster", since a fixed gear only has one gear ratio and a multispeed bike can have higher ratios. That being said, strength of the rider is far more important in determining how fast you can go. I can ride faster than some of my friends on my fixed when they're riding geared bike but at the same time i have a friend who can ride faster than me fixed than i can ride on my geared.
Old 08-19-09, 12:33 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmmm I thought fixed gears were fasted because of the constant build of momentum.

so my Trek 7.2FX could keep up with the fixies?
Old 08-19-09, 12:46 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmmm I thought fixed gears were fasted because of the constant build of momentum.

so my Trek 7.2FX could keep up with the fixies?
Well, of course.

The only technical advantage a fixed drivetrain might have over a geared one is weight.

Personally I think that having or not having gears doesn't usually matter much, it mostly depends on your legs.
Just look how different the usual cadence of pro-cyclists is; the gear ratio doesn't always determine speed.
Old 08-19-09, 12:51 AM
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no, physics does not work like that

The 7.2fx won't be holding you back. Not the most aerodynamic, but it's solid. Maybe get some 28mm tires and bar ends. Ride it up a mountain.

It would make a terrible ss/fg anyway.
Old 08-19-09, 01:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmmm well then maybe I'm just an idiot too susceptible to gimmicks.

my 7.2fx is a fine bike for a 17 year old.
Old 08-19-09, 01:10 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A fixed-gear bike is not a gimmick. It's very useful, can look great and under most circumstances is just as fast as any geared bike.

And considering you are used to riding a semi-hybrid like the Trek, a decent fixed-gear bike will probably feel quicker and more responsive to you.
Old 08-19-09, 01:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah..

i really do want a fixed gear argh
Old 08-19-09, 01:26 AM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
And considering you are used to riding a semi-hybrid like the Trek, a decent fixed-gear bike will probably feel quicker and more responsive to you.
So would a "decent" lighter geared bike. Don't confuse the guy.

Riding fixed is not faster than riding geared, except under a very few circumstances which you'll probably never encounter. If you want to just "go fast", then that is not a logical reason to get a fixed gear bike.

There are plenty of reasons to want a fixed gear bike, but additional speed over a geared bike is not one of them.
Old 08-19-09, 01:28 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsh
So would a "decent" lighter geared bike. Don't confuse the guy.
Sure, but another good thing about fixed-gear bikes is, that they are generally cheaper than decent, light geared bikes.
Old 08-19-09, 01:40 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Pista 08. Felt f80.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
A fixed-gear bike is not a gimmick. It's very useful, can look great and under most circumstances is just as fast as any geared bike.

HAhHAHAHAHAhahaa

True if the road bike rider is very weak.
try going down a hill faster than a road bike on a fixed gear. a mountain hill.

keep your road bike, and buy a fixed. they are two different animals.
Old 08-19-09, 01:50 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, so you found one situation where a fixed-gear definitely is inferior to a bike with a freewheel, there are a few other situations too - so what? What I said is still true.
Old 08-19-09, 06:36 AM
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No it's not. Even just going on gear ratio alone, most road bikes have bigger gear ratios than the average fixed. Unless someone lives in Flatlandia and is pushing 52-13.

It is true though that you can buy a better quality fixed gear for cheaper. Good groupo=$$$$
Old 08-19-09, 06:53 AM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look, I wasn't talking about races or anything like that. Of course if every second counts having gears is an advantage, but how often is that the case for most cyclists? And if you have a lower gearing you just have to pedal a little faster.

Just like a Porsche seldom can drive any faster than a Smart under real life conditions, despite being a lot more powerful.
Old 08-19-09, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I really want a fixed gear.

I have a Trek 7.2FX now which is a road bike without drop bars basically. It's similar to the Soho just a cheaper bike. It has 24 gears and I want to convert it into a fixie and just leave the front brake. If I asked them to do this at a bike store would they think I was crazy? How much would it cost me for the new crank and labor?

Thanks Alot
There are two ways of doing this -- using an ENO eccentric hub (total wheelbuild probably costing close to what a off the rack Fixed would cost) or finding the magic gear that allows sufficient chain tension to run a single speed. You have to precisely measure your chainstay and use an online magic gear calculator to figure this out. The magic gear option is extremely limiting. Otherwise, you can use a chain tensioner device to make your bike a single speed. It hangs off the derailleur hanger (ie Surly Singleator). These things suck - noisy, ugly and add resistance which defeat the purpose of running a single speed. You can't use the Singleator to make your bike fixed, though. It won't work.
Old 08-19-09, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sell your trek and buy a fixed gear on bikesdirect. This is by far the easiest an cheapest solution.
Old 08-19-09, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never seen such a lack of noob-hating on this forum in my entire time on bikeforums. It's rather refreshing if I do say so myself.

Anyway, I would keep the trek and ride it around till you have enough money to buy a kilo tt. Then you will have two decent bikes built for each of their respective purposes.
Old 08-19-09, 12:24 PM
I am Noobert.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats a really bad idea. Just keep the 7.2 the way it is.

It would be a waste of money, and sad to strip all of those nice STI parts off it.