Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tange Tubed Raleigh Criteium Frameset

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-20-09, 01:33 PM
Oddjob Cassanova

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid, Unpedigreed steel frame fixie conversion (Force Disorder Pump), Pugeot UO9 fixed conversion (Red Menace). Lots of parts scattered about garage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy all,

Looking for any info at all on a Raleigh Criterium, All I can tell you is its Tange tubed with Suntour dropouts. By what was left on it, it was Shimano equipped. Raleigh was stamped into the upper ends of the seat stays and there are stylized R's on the fork crown shoulders. The paint scheme was violent pink & silver/grey.
I can find no account of this model (I'm guessing its a US model, manufactured in Japan) and I'm wondering if its rare, either because it was crap or something special.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-20-09, 02:18 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
well let me be the first to "where are the pics man???" LOL assuming it is close to original paint maybe someone can tell the year. what kind of shimano did you take off?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-20-09, 02:41 PM
Oddjob Cassanova

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid, Unpedigreed steel frame fixie conversion (Force Disorder Pump), Pugeot UO9 fixed conversion (Red Menace). Lots of parts scattered about garage.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez...ask the world. Pics coming shortly. Not sure what Shimano group was used...it had indexed/friction DT shifters. And it had Sugino dbl crank. And a fluted seatpost that was electrolytically welded in and needed to be destroyed to be removed (damn), also of Japanese origin.
Old 08-21-09, 10:08 AM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All right. You want pictures?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1156.JPG (91.5 KB, 55 views)
IMG_1155.JPG (93.7 KB, 48 views)
IMG_1154.jpg (36.6 KB, 44 views)
IMG_1153.jpg (37.7 KB, 45 views)
IMG_1152.jpg (36.9 KB, 46 views)
IMG_1151.jpg (30.3 KB, 48 views)
IMG_1150.jpg (38.2 KB, 34 views)
IMG_1149.jpg (37.5 KB, 84 views)
IMG_1147.jpg (44.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-21-09, 11:05 AM
Bianchi Goddess

WOW that is nice. a bit dusty in the corners but nice. the Raliegh experts will correct me but I think mid/late eighties. I am sure you know the Criterium frames have just a bit steeper angles and higher BB owing to the fact that are designed for criterium racing. this do you remeber what shimano you took off? I think maybe midlevel of their racing lineup. but I am no Raleigh expert

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-21-09, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going to say 85'.
But I'm also going to say it shares the same geometry and frame with the Olympian.
Old 08-21-09, 02:10 PM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all.

I've been liking the Raleigh approach to large frame sizes (taller BB to TT but not as long along the TT as some taller bikes, especially Peugeots). I have a Super GP fixed conversion (with YST pressure fit BB to replace the trashed Nottingham bits and threading) and the shorter cocpit feels right despite my size (6'3").
The Criterium feels even snugger. I probably shouldn't tell you its 90% destined for fix-ing.
Old 08-22-09, 12:14 AM
Я люблю суп

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That looks alot like the Raleigh USA models in the mid 80's. Does the serial number start with N or M. Can you post the serial number? Can you also post pictures of the head tube lugs?

Tange 2 is good stuff, so I don't think it is a low end model. I am guessing it is probably a Canadian model.

Last edited by abarth; 08-22-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 12:44 AM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serial # for this Raleigh Criterium is N6A6798 .
On the underside of the BB shell, between the brazed on shifter cable guides.
Old 08-25-09, 12:59 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
1986 model - no wonder I haven't heard of it ('86 catalog is nowhere to be seen online).

-Kurt

Old 08-25-09, 01:14 AM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The serial # on this frame seems to fit the convention used by Centurion...who the heck made this thing?
Old 08-25-09, 02:53 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raleigh was having bikes made in japan by manufacturers like centurion and nishiki
it makes logical sense that this could have been built int he centurion plant for raleigh in the 80's

I am the owner of an 80's japanese bianchi alfana there is very little info about this as bianchi has tried to erase this bit of history
Old 08-25-09, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Retem
raleigh was having bikes made in japan by manufacturers like centurion and nishiki
it makes logical sense that this could have been built int he centurion plant for raleigh in the 80's

I am the owner of an 80's japanese bianchi alfana there is very little info about this as bianchi has tried to erase this bit of history
Centurion never manufactured a frame. It was just a brand name owned by a bicycle marketing and distribution company, Western States Imports. The frames were made by several different Asian companies depending on the year and model. There's even evidence of one Mexican made Centurion.

Probably a lot more info on that Alfana than you think.
Old 08-25-09, 09:54 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really could you post a link I have been trying to find info it was a free frame and that's it
Old 08-26-09, 10:23 AM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wha?
Old 08-29-09, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cudak888
1986 model - no wonder I haven't heard of it ('86 catalog is nowhere to be seen online).
The reason you haven't heard of it, is because it is a Canadian model, which often differed from the USA and Britain. I don't have literature from this particular year, but earlier literature shows a Shimano 600EX equipped model. Given the year and frame level, a New Shimano 600EX group (i.e 6207 series with 6208 SIS rear derailleur, SIS shifters and brakes) would be appropriate.

Originally Posted by retem
Really could you post a link I have been trying to find info it was a free frame and that's it .
You need to post some pics and specifics such as tubeset and serial number. However, I think you'll find it an early 1990s, lower mid-range model. The ones I've seen have been 105SC equipped.
Old 08-29-09, 10:43 AM
Bianchi Goddess

OH an '85? well I was very close eh? not bad. Retem Alfanas I believe started in 1990 what color was yours? Celeste or blue/white/silver? (90) or black? green/white? (those are '91 colors) it likely has a Superset frame set made with Tange Prestige tubing and came with Shimano 105 7spd dt. very nice bikes the '91 retailed around $800

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-30-09, 11:42 PM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Begging the indulgence of anyone knowing the specs of their mid-80's Tange 2 tubed Centurions. I am looking to follow a hunch that my bike may be re-badged Centurion model;
I've taken some of the vitals of my apparent '86 Canadian market Raleigh Criterium and was wondering if they bear any resemblance to any 85-86 Centurion models.
(bear in mind I'm not frame builder but having perused specs before, I'll try to use common conventions and tell you whats being measured and from where to where.)

Raleigh Criterium, SN N6A6798

Seat tube (centre of TT to centre of BB) - 62cm
Top tube (centre of ST to centre of HT) - 57cm
Head tube (total length) - 20.8cm
Head tube (centre of TT to centre of DT) - 16cm
Down tube (centre of HT to centre of BB) - 62cm
Chain stay (centre of BB to actual end before drop-out) - 38.5cm
Seat stay (total length of stay) - 54.5

Geometry is based on the assumption that TT would be parallel to the ground when bike is shod. ST angle & HT angle were measured against TT with a particularly crude protractor.

ST angle - 72 degrees
HT angle - 107 degrees (this, I'm figuring would translate to the more recognizable 73 degrees in relation the ground)

This is in no way life or death. I've already bought the bike in question and its being built up to join my stable. I'm just curious about its lineage.

Thanks,

Dave G.
Old 08-31-09, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by gutbucket
Begging the indulgence of anyone knowing the specs of their mid-80's Tange 2 tubed Centurions. I am looking to follow a hunch that my bike may be re-badged Centurion model...
It is not a rebadged Centurion though the frame was manufactured by the same company that manufactured Centurion frames during this period.
Old 08-31-09, 09:48 AM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It is not a rebadged Centurion though the frame was manufactured by the same company that manufactured Centurion frames during this period.
Perhaps not re-badged, but at least having the same roots, specs etc. I've got enough to go on to tell me what it ain't, but little (oh, besides, I suppose the labeling & such) to tell me what it is. If it was a department store bike, I wouldn't be the least bit curious.
Old 08-31-09, 10:14 AM

Perhaps not re-badged, but at least having the same roots, specs etc. I've got enough to go on to tell me what it ain't, but little (oh, besides, I suppose the labeling & such) to tell me what it is. If it was a department store bike, I wouldn't be the least bit curious.
You know the make, model, country or origin, intended marketplace, year, tubeset, level and probable components. Seems like more than a little to me. What EXACTLY are you fishing for?
Old 08-31-09, 10:32 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
You know the make, model, country or origin, intended marketplace, year, tubeset, level and probable components. Seems like more than a little to me. What EXACTLY are you fishing for?
Value, I bet

-Kurt

Old 08-31-09, 01:43 PM
Oddjob Cassanova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Value, I bet

-Kurt
Value, as in a dollar figure? Not at all. I most likely paid too much for it to begin with, so I'm not selling it because I'll never see what I paid. I bought it because it fit me and it will be used not too gently until it fails.
Its a beautiful bike in fit and execution despite not having the cachet of a true vintage gem, like say a Herse or a Schwinn Paramount.
I'm just curious, given that even the most modest bikes in my fleet have heritage. I've even seen more than one of the models I possess (while out on my blue/white Raleigh Record fixed gear, I can meet at least two other identical bikes in person). Throw in the internets, and you can find many such examples.
But I cannot find one other bike like this one. All accounts, catalog scans, specs, seem to end at '85.
Hey, wait. Maybe I'll sell it for a million dollars.
Old 08-31-09, 02:39 PM
Paste Taster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OH an '85? well I was very close eh? not bad. Retem Alfanas I believe started in 1990 what color was yours? Celeste or blue/white/silver? (90) or black? green/white? (those are '91 colors) it likely has a Superset frame set made with Tange Prestige tubing and came with Shimano 105 7spd dt. very nice bikes the '91 retailed around $800
thanks for the info
Old 09-01-09, 07:29 AM

...I'm just curious, given that even the most modest bikes in my fleet have heritage. I've even seen more than one of the models I possess (while out on my blue/white Raleigh Record fixed gear, I can meet at least two other identical bikes in person). Throw in the internets, and you can find many such examples.
But I cannot find one other bike like this one. All accounts, catalog scans, specs, seem to end at '85.
Hey, wait. Maybe I'll sell it for a million dollars.
In Canada, Raleigh in the mid-1980s was a shadow of itself during the boom years. Entry level sales remained relatively strong, primarily due to strong Raleigh brand recognition with non-cycling parents who were buying bicycles for kids. However, in the mid and high end, knowlegeable cyclists found better value in the Italian brands for the high end and Japanese and Canadian brands for the mid-range. Raleigh derfinitely scaled back their mid and high end models. The trend has continued and the only current Canadianmodels you see are entry level models from the likes of Canadian Tire.

Evidence of your model does exist. I have two catalogs including it, though not your particular model year. So it was produced, for at least three years. Just not in large quantities, and only in Canada, eh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.