Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cyclocomputers & indoor trainers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 12:43 AM
Smooth like Butt'r

Bikes: 03 Bianchi Veloce in celeste

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anyone use a cyclocomputer when using their trainer? are there computers specifically for use with the rear wheel? wireless or wired?
Old 07-13-04, 12:58 AM
Ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supreemo1
does anyone use a cyclocomputer when using their trainer? are there computers specifically for use with the rear wheel? wireless or wired?
My Astrale 8 uses the rear wheel. Cheap, too.
Old 07-13-04, 01:05 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supreemo1
Cateye makes replacement harnesses that use the rear wheel. I run one on my commuter bike as I was having a problem with the fork mounted version getting snagged when putting my bike in the trunk of my girlfriend's car when she'd pick me up.
Old 07-13-04, 02:02 AM
Smooth like Butt'r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drroebuck
My Astrale 8 uses the rear wheel. Cheap, too.
drroebuck, did you have to buy a new mount or does it come with a rear mount out of the box? also is the Astrale 8 wired or wireless?
Old 07-13-04, 04:47 AM

Bikes: '02 Trek 7200, '04Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Astrale8 is a wired computer that comes standard with a rear wheel mounted speed sensor and a cadence sensor. I've had mine for a week and it works excellent. I ride on a couple marked paths and its accuracy right on the money. The going price at the LBS, Dicks Galyans,etc near me is $39.95. Can be had cheaper mailorder through Performance, etc when on sale. Check out Cat eyes website.

https://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=6&subCatId=0

str8shooter
Old 07-13-04, 09:18 AM
Ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str8shooter
The Astrale8 is a wired computer that comes standard with a rear wheel mounted speed sensor and a cadence sensor. I've had mine for a week and it works excellent. I ride on a couple marked paths and its accuracy right on the money. The going price at the LBS, Dicks Galyans,etc near me is $39.95. Can be had cheaper mailorder through Performance, etc when on sale. Check out Cat eyes website.

https://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=6&subCatId=0

str8shooter
There ya go.
Old 07-13-04, 09:46 AM
Fat Hack

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Most people find that miles on the trainer are easier than road miles, so you might want to recalibrate the computer to make it more realistic. I used my 60% of maximum heart rate to figure it out.

In other words, when I was on the trainer with my heart rate at 60%, the computer, which was calibrated "normally", said I was doing about 25 mph (i can't do that). So, I had to calibrate the computer to tell me I was doing ~20 mph at the same heart rate.

Old 07-13-04, 09:49 AM

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Polar 520i ... sensor on the rear wheel so I can use it on my trainer. Looks better there too. Nice thing about the Polar is that it displays HR also.
Old 07-13-04, 10:08 AM
Smooth like Butt'r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markedoc
I have the Polar 520i ... sensor on the rear wheel so I can use it on my trainer. Looks better there too. Nice thing about the Polar is that it displays HR also.
Markedoc, i've got the polar 520 as well. how is it working out for you? where did you mount your sensor? do you have the cadence sensor as well?
Old 07-13-04, 10:39 AM

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's working great. Love the display and all the info you can look at at one time.

I have the sensor on the rear chain stay (I think that's what it's called). In order to mount it there, you need to swap pins inside the sensor (my buddy did it for me - I can get more specific instructions if you want). The instructions don't tell you any of this - not sure why.

I did install the cadence sensor on the rear chain stay and crank arm also - and even though it's closer to the computer, the data seems to drop in and out. Not sure why - might just be a bad battery.
Old 07-13-04, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
If you are using rollers, a front wheel mounted sensor works just fine. Where's the adventure in a fixed trainer anyway? If you can't fall, it's not really biking, right?