Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Will Schwalbe Big Apples fit on a stock R20 fork?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-09, 06:00 PM
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts

It appears that they would fit but I would like to be certain. At this point my R20 is stock but the rear wheel has been changed out with one rated for 35 psi and the front one is stock but not in that good of condition.

Also, I am 5'-9" and the seat height would be better if I could go higher but I am at MFR's limit but even a half inch would be a big difference. I know I can get mountain bike seat post that is longer but then I have to change my seat for a single rail.

I like the Stock stem and tube but might like more height so higher handlebars may be in order.

But I am digressing. Tires first.
Old 08-22-09, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Continental Top Touring 20x1.75 tires fit, with fenders. I'd be worried about tire width, as with my 1.75's its already pretty close.

As for seatpost, you should be able to get a 400mm or longer 27.2 seatpost pretty easily, and shim it to 28.6. On my Raleigh 20, I used a shim and a 425mm FSA 27.2 seatpost, which even 6'+ people can ride easily.
Old 08-23-09, 05:00 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I run the Schwalbe Marathons in the 1.75 and they are almost too close in the rear. Fenders aren't the problem the frame spacing is. I didn't get my rear tire mounted exactly right on the rear rim and it was rubbing on a seat stay. FWIW the Schwalbe tires appear to be a bit more generous with their rubber allowance than other brands, the old Dunlop Redlines that I removed had more clearance, even though they were the same size.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-23-09, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run 406x50 big apples with a stock fork and they just (about 2-3mm clearance on each side) fit.

My fork has been widened to take a 100mm hub but is the stock UK item (i.e. came with a 451 rim, I understand the export models used a 406 rim but I don't know if the forks were different).

The stock mudguards are fitted with no problems.

The rear also fits with a few mm of clearance.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-09, 05:11 PM
Schwinnasaur

Thanks guys. I am going to get actual measurements and verify first.
Old 08-24-09, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OrangeClownBike
I run 406x50 big apples with a stock fork and they just (about 2-3mm clearance on each side) fit.
What rims are you using? My R20 had so little clearance with 1.95 CST Cyclops on the stock rims that I could only run 45 psi. Now on Rhyno Lites I have plenty of clearance.

The Cyclops are the same size as the 50mm Big Apples and 100 grams lighter. So I expected they would roll well at low pressures like the BAs. No such luck, I need 65 psi in them to roll well on my R20. We only run 45 in the BAs on our tandems.
Old 08-24-09, 04:27 PM
Schwinnasaur

My rims are stock that came on the bike. At some point I plan to put on alloy rims but of the same size.
Old 08-24-09, 06:47 PM
Schwinnasaur

I measured some 26" BAs and they measure approximately 1 7/8" wide x 1 7/8" high from rim. Even so looking closely at the Donlop on the front fork, a true 1.75" it barely fits. It would be very tight to go any wider. Height is no problem. The front fork has tighter restriction on my bike, I think. To get true clearences I would need to take off the wheels.

If I want kevlar protection this leaves me with Marathons or Continentals Contacts.
Old 08-26-09, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@mnHPVA Guy:

I'm using Sun CR18's ISO406 size (i.e. BMX not the UK stock rims size which was ISO451)

As I said the clearance is tight and my front forks have been widened.

They are the forks with the pressed crown rather than the ones I've seen with the tubular cross piece, if that helps.