Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Video: Assorted sketchy gravel descents

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-23-09, 09:08 PM
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Assorted sketchy gravel descents on my Cannondale F4000SL via my helmet camera.

Footage taken today. I climbed a total 2100ft in two hours today to get you guys and gals this footage. Thats a lot of climbing around these parts.

Either my camera doesn't like the sudden shadow and back into sunshine transitions or Windows Movie Maker mucked it up. I thought it would look pretty but it looks all herky jerky. It looks better in normal quality rather than HQ on youtube. Any photog or video people have any advice? It's not perfect but I already spent an hour and a half trying to make it perfect.

Here it is. Enjoy

Old 08-23-09, 09:57 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Ha ha!! I like the clicky click sound at the end
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-23-09, 10:17 PM
The Sleeper

Bikes: GT Transeo 2.0 Disc 2009

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't look too bad it is probably just from the light contrast, your camera adjusts for that but since you are riding under the trees it is just constant. I get that effect sometimes when I go under a bridge.
Old 08-23-09, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cool video. What camera are you using? Is part 2 gonna have jumps? Here is a video clip of me using a point and shoot digital camera. I would have not done this if my bike didn't come with 'cross levers. The very end on the blind curve was sketchy. My cousin told me that someone back in the early 90's fell off the side and cracked their head open on a rock. Unfortunately, he didn't survive.

Edit: That is on the 2 1/4 mile trail. There is a steeper 1 1/2 mile trail too. I would never try filming that with one hand.

Last edited by mijome07; 08-23-09 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-23-09, 11:04 PM
Pedal faster not harder.

Bikes: Ummmm...Cannondale F4000..Ummmmm...Yeti ARC-X Cyclocross..Ummmm...Rocky Mountain Vertex TO with a BionX PL350 Electric Conversion...Ummmmm..Rocky Mountain Cardiac..Ummmm..thats it for now I think. I'd have to go look in the basement to be sure.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Ha ha!! I like the clicky click sound at the end
Thats the real deal....
Old 08-23-09, 11:05 PM
Pedal faster not harder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiverCityCyclis
Doesn't look too bad it is probably just from the light contrast, your camera adjusts for that but since you are riding under the trees it is just constant. I get that effect sometimes when I go under a bridge.
For part 2 I'll go out when the sun is higher. I've always been a late afternoon type of rider.....
Old 08-23-09, 11:10 PM
The Sleeper

Bikes: GT Transeo 2.0 Disc 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mijome07

if your camera has the tripod bolt hole as most cameras do follow this so you can attach the camera to the bars and don't film yourself riding off a cliff :-) might cost you bout a buck.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Bicy...or-under-%241/

heres my latest video :-)
https://vimeo.com/6230051

heres my blog post that has embedded gps tracking of the ride itself :-)
https://www.rivercitycyclist.com/?p=330
Old 08-23-09, 11:11 PM
Pedal faster not harder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
Cool video. What camera are you using? Is part 2 gonna have jumps? Here is a video clip of me using a point and shoot digital camera. I would have not done this if my bike didn't come with 'cross levers. The very end on the blind curve was sketchy. My cousin told me that someone back in the early 90's fell off the side and cracked their head open on a rock. Unfortunately, he didn't survive.

Edit: That is on the 2 1/4 mile trail. There is a steeper 1 1/2 mile trail too. I would never try filming that with one hand.
Thanks

Wow. I wish we had hills like that. It's a Gopro Hero Wide. Yeah looks like it could be sketchy for sure.
Old 08-23-09, 11:17 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
mijome07

if your camera has the tripod bolt hole as most cameras do follow this so you can attach the camera to the bars and don't film yourself riding off a cliff :-) might cost you bout a buck.

Cool video. I just might do that. Thanks. That is, until I get a Go Pro camera.
Old 08-23-09, 11:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was fine. I get that distortion even though it is not on the original. Nice video
Old 08-23-09, 11:22 PM
Pedal faster not harder.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mijome07

Awesome Vid. Puts my stuff to shame. What video editing program do you use?
Old 08-23-09, 11:28 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One time I went to meet my cousin up on the mountain. No joke, there was like 40 mile an hour winds on the backside. I nearly got blown off the trail. And there is no lights on the trail or on top. But I do have a headlight on the helmet, so no problem.

Come to find out later, as I waited on top for 20 or so minutes, my cousin had taken the shorter 'steeper' trail down to meet me at the bottom. So when I was going up, he was coming down.

On another note, I just did a search and found out that supposedly, the mountain is haunted, along with a cemetery at the foot of the mountain. I don't believe in ghosts or any of that stuff though.
Old 09-01-09, 07:02 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
The video is quality is pretty good, but, uh...I made it through 3:24 and didn't see any "sketchiness!" Lemme put it this way: If you've got two, rut-free car lanes to work with and don't need to even cover your brakes, sketchy it ain't. Fun it is, though, for sure!