Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brilliant solution!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brilliant solution!

Old 08-25-09, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brilliant solution!

In combing through some design websites (architect here), I came across this innovative concept for folding handlebars:

https://www.design21sdn.com/competiti...s/3095/gallery

Why didn't anyone else think of this? My favorite part of the design is the lockable "ends". Very cool.
Here are the other concepts including the winner:

https://www.design21sdn.com/competitions/11
Old 08-25-09, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a nice idea, but I do have a couple of questions about it:

1: It needs some type of interlock mechanism so a glancing blow from a tree won't cause the handlebar to get knocked out of position and collapse. This interlock mechanism has to be tried and true. Handlebars get a surprising amount of stress, and sometimes exotic mechanisms are not made to deal with this.

2: The locking mechanism is interesting, but it provides no more protection than the Axa Basta frame-locks which lock a wheel in place. Of course, it will keep someone from riding off on it, but a thief in the US will just lift the bike up and chuck it in the back of a car or truck if its not secured to something immobile. The prototype used a round key lock, which most of them have been rendered obsolete by Bic Pen attacks. Instead, it needs a more modern lock cylinder. The usual Abloy variant lock would do fine, or perhaps an Evva 3KS/3KS+ cylinder.
Old 08-25-09, 08:35 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I'd want to see a good number of reviews before considering such. From reputable sources.
Old 08-25-09, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With quill stems and a hex key you can overcome the storage problem by turning the bars sideways.
Old 08-26-09, 09:45 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by arkiemark
In combing through some design websites (architect here), I came across this innovative concept for folding handlebars:

https://www.design21sdn.com/competiti...s/3095/gallery

Why didn't anyone else think of this? My favorite part of the design is the lockable "ends". Very cool.
Here are the other concepts including the winner:

https://www.design21sdn.com/competitions/11
Interesting idea, but as others noted the lock does nothing to prevent a thief from tossing it in a vehicle and driving off. My 1972 Raleigh Superbe has a locking fork, but since it weighs almost 50# it's much more difficult to toss.

N.B. I don't rely on the fork lock, but use a Kryptonite lock.
Old 08-26-09, 11:13 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like it. Bit of extra security,and would prevent a thief from stripping your controls/bars.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X